Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where Royal Field Artillary were recruited 1912

CarolD55

My grandfather Patrick Dalton joined army in 1912 he lived in Kilmacow Co Kilkenny his service number 64303 where would he have been recruited Thanks Carol

further to my previous replies I would think he would have enlisted March 1911 - the number will correspond with the date [as they are issued in date order, more or less..] so probably when he turned up at No 2 Depot Athlone. He could have signed the paper at any local recruiting office I suspect, but I think would have been assigned his RFA number when he actually turned up at the Depot.

these men with similar numbers all appear in the census roll at Athlone, 3 lines below Gunner P D - all English or Welsh - so sent to Athlone after signing up Richard james Dawes 64311 John Kilby 64314 Griffith Wlliams 64318 H(arry?) B(irkinshaw?) 64313? Henry Lovatt 64319

No 64320 enlisted 10th March 1911 Manchester;

No 64328, 14th March 1911, a McNamara, place uncertain.

Medal Roll Index Card.

Cpl Patrick Dalton 64303

8th Brigade Royal Field Artillery

Qualifying Date 19-8-14

Applies for 1914 Clasp 11-8-20

Address: 3 Green St, Waterford

Yes,that is him thanks for your info,he lived in Parkerreid Co Kilkenny with his aunt,the family home was in Green St.

further to my previous replies I would think he would have enlisted March 1911 - the number will correspond with the date [as they are issued in date order, more or less..] so probably when he turned up at No 2 Depot Athlone. He could have signed the paper at any local recruiting office I suspect, but I think would have been assigned his RFA number when he actually turned up at the Depot.

these men with similar numbers all appear in the census roll at Athlone, 3 lines below Gunner P D - all English or Welsh - so sent to Athlone after signing up Richard james Dawes 64311 John Kilby 64314 Griffith Wlliams 64318 H(arry?) B(irkinshaw?) 64313? Henry Lovatt 64319

No 64320 enlisted 10th March 1911 Manchester;

No 64328, 14th March 1911, a McNamara, place uncertain.

Thanks for your help I was wondering would he have set out to join the Artillary or was it just chance, he was in India by 1912 and at the Curragh then war broke out

Hi Carol,

8th (Howitzer) Brigade were at Kildare barracks in August 1914. consisting of 37th, 61st and 65th batteries. They marched out of Kildare on 16 August 1914 and slept in the Phoenix Park before sailing from the North Wall for Le Havre.

I would be interested in getting a photo of this man if you had one.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks for that info Mark did not know that. Will get a photo up I have a good one, thought I was the only one interested in the Great War Carol