Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte William Connor 1/7th Bn. Argyll & Sutherland

Andrew Marshall

Hi all

Can anyone explain how this man is buried so far from any of the other casualties for his battalion?

Private WILLIAM CONNOR

350975, 1st/7th Bn., Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

who died age 25

on 18 July 1918

Son of M. A. Connor, of Redhall, Slateford, Edinburgh.

Remembered with honour

PROVINS (HAUTE-VILLE) COMMUNAL CEMETERY

He is the only casualty in this cemetery and Provins is to the south of the French sector.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

Not really so strange as you might think. On 16th July 51st Division detrained at Nogent sur Marne in the southern districts of Paris to go on by lorry to Epernay where they along with 15th, 34th and 62nd Division had been formed into XXII Corps attached to the French following a request by Foch on the 13th July.

It is possible Pte Connors was either injured or became ill and was evacuated via the French medical services from the route between Nogent and Eperney.

Strange though it may seem, I am at present looking at the Slateford War Memorial on which he is named. I'll let you know if I find any info.

Aye

Malcolm

Andrew,

Not really so strange as you might think. On 16th July 51st Division detrained at Nogent sur Marne in the southern districts of Paris to go on by lorry to Epernay where they along with 15th, 34th and 62nd Division had been formed into XXII Corps attached to the French following a request by Foch on the 13th July.

It is possible Pte Connors was either injured or became ill and was evacuated via the French medical services from the route between Nogent and Eperney.

Strange though it may seem, I am at present looking at the Slateford War Memorial on which he is named. I'll let you know if I find any info.

Aye

Malcolm

51st Division detrained at Nogent sur Seine not Nogent sur Marne as I gave above.. Nogent sur Seine is 11 miles from Provins and this was probably the nearest Hospital.

Aye

Malcolm

post-1-1094502454.jpg

Strange though it may seem, I am at present looking at the Slateford War Memorial on which he is named.

Malcolm

Is the Slateford Memorial in a park? I remember seeing a memorial from a train window when it was coming in from the West just before Slateford station.

Cheers

Adam

Adam,

The Slateford Memorial is in Redhall Park, Slateford, Edinburgh and will be visible from the trains on the Carlisle line but not the Glasgow line.

Private Connor is listed as from Redhall. I have also to check the Memorial plaques at the Slateford Churches.

Aye

Malcolm

visible from the trains on the Carlisle line but not the Glasgow line.

Malcolm

It was only the one time I saw it. My train had been diverted through deepest Lanrkshire and was running about half an hour late so it was some small silver lining on a very large cloud to see part of the city I hadn't seen before.

Thanks for the confirmation about the Memorial.

Cheers

Adam

Andrew and Adam,

Here is the Slateford Memorial. It has seen better days. William Connors appears on it as does his brother Francis. Some vandals have broken up the wreaths. :(

Aye

Malcolm

post-1-1094818595.jpg

Dear Malcolm and Adam

Thank you both for your input, this has indeed answered my question and as you quite rightly point out Malcolm this is not so unusual as it at first appeared to me. A friend of mine visited this area recently and noticed this solitary grave amongst the French and thought that it was odd, I'll ask him is he took a photograph and maybe I can get a copy to Malcolm.

Sorry for the delay in my reply but I've had some braodband problems due to movin but I am now back on track.

Regards

Andrew

• 10 years later...
Guest mrwiigatgigg

We visited the grave of Pte W Connor today to place some heathers on it, having spotted it a couple of years ago on a previous holiday. We too were puzzled by his presence in the French Military part of the cemetery. I took some photos which I will post when I get home. This thread seems to clarify how he arrived there. According to the War Graves Commission website, his body was moved to this cemetery in 1928 as part of the concentration process, so that it could be properly looked after and respected.

The Slateford War Memorial can be seen on The Scottish War Memorials Project website:

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic732.html

An excerpt (ex CWGC ?) from the website shows:

CONNOR, WILLIAM
Initials: W
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment: Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
Unit Text: 1st/7th Bn.
Date of Death: 18/07/1918
Service No: 350975
Additional information: Son of M. A. Connor, of Redhall, Slateford, Edinburgh.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: 44. Bis.
Cemetery: PROVINS (HAUTE-VILLE) COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

• 5 years later...

Hi All,

I’m a french Piper and, don’t ask me why, but yesterday, as I was visiting the medieval town of Provins, someone in a shop started to play (CD) Scotland the Brave. This is really unusual in France. I smiled as I thought it was by chance.

Then, going back to my car, I suddenly was attracted by the French WW1 cemetery. I was persuaded that I would find an information. I went there and, between a small hundred of tombs, reading the names one by one, I found W Connor’s.

I wanted to know more about this soldier and I found your website.
I know a little bit more about W Connor now.

I will play Amazing Grace for him in the cemetery, in front of his tomb as soon as possible, wearing the kilt, in honour to his engagement during WW1.

Sorry for my very bad English.

Aye.

Nathalie.

5B690D3B-4FFA-496E-93BF-F2CFF42B49C0.jpeg

5C21DB97-1064-4AED-BEF7-25143240D7D6.jpeg

CWGC entry attachments shows that this was a re-burial from the Old Communal Cemetery into the Military plot.

2 hours ago, Pamina said:

Hi All,

W Connor could have died because of Spanish flew ?

Aye

Nathalie

I think that is certainly possible Nathalie, although many cases of Spanish Flu in that period were apparently benign according to French records, there were also some deaths:

This epidemic wave of the Spring of 1918 was benign, affecting many soldiers but causing few deaths. In the French army, 24 886 flu patients were recorded in May with 7 deaths, 12 304 in June with 24 deaths, and 2369 patients in July with 6 deaths, all of whom were diagnosed with 'grippe'.”

See: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5779284/

Hi Nathalie,

William joined the army on 28th October 1915 when he was 22 years old. At that time he was a pig feeder who was living in Redhall, Slateford, Edinburgh, in Scotland. He named his mother (Mary Agnes Connor) as being his next of kin. He was about 166cm tall. Initially he served in the United Kingdom with the 3rd Battalion of the Royal Highlanders (also known as the Black Watch). On 11th March 1916 he was transferred to the 9th Battalion Black Watch to serve in France. On 7th May 1916 he fell ill suffering from Hydrocele, and returned to the UK on 8th June 1916. Once he had recovered he was transferred to the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders on 1st March 1917, and posted to the 1/7th Battalion on 21st April 1918 for service back in front line. On 16th/17th July 1918 he was injured - "Right foot & head injured (severe)".

image.png.d8ae560a7bb84500b4f7fb5e70898247.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

Circumstances of Injuries.pdf

His father was called William, and he had brothers (James; John; Francis; Joseph; Robert and Patrick), and sisters (Mary; Jane and Annie).

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Brilliant work Chris!  Every day my deep admiration for this forum’s regular detectives increases.

Private Connor’s death from a road accident is so typical of the fickle fates of fortune in a war of such dimensions.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, clk said:

Hi Nathalie,

William joined the army on 28th October 1915 when he was 22 years old. At that time he was a pig feeder who was living in Redhall, Slateford, Edinburgh, in Scotland. He named his mother (Mary Agnes Connor) as being his next of kin. He was about 166cm tall. Initially he served in the United Kingdom with the 3rd Battalion of the Royal Highlanders (also known as the Black Watch). On 11th March 1916 he was transferred to the 9th Battalion Black Watch to serve in France. On 7th May 1916 he fell ill suffering from Hydrocele, and returned to the UK on 8th June 1916. Once he had recovered he was transferred to the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders on 1st March 1917, and posted to the 1/7th Battalion on 21st April 1918 for service back in front line. On 16th/17th July 1918 he was injured - "Right foot & head injured (severe)".

image.png.d8ae560a7bb84500b4f7fb5e70898247.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

Circumstances of Injuries.pdf 2.77 MB · 4 downloads

His father was called William, and he had brothers (James; John; Francis; Joseph; Robert and Patrick), and sisters (Mary; Jane and Annie).

Regards

Chris

Chris,

Please allow me to correct you.

The correct name is Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

I always try to correctly address this fine Regiment.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/black-watch-royal-highlanders

On 26/08/2020 at 07:15, Pamina said:

Hi All,

I’m a french Piper and, don’t ask me why, but yesterday, as I was visiting the medieval town of Provins, someone in a shop started to play (CD) Scotland the Brave. This is really unusual in France. I smiled as I thought it was by chance.

Then, going back to my car, I suddenly was attracted by the French WW1 cemetery. I was persuaded that I would find an information. I went there and, between a small hundred of tombs, reading the names one by one, I found W Connor’s.

I wanted to know more about this soldier and I found your website.
I know a little bit more about W Connor now.

I will play Amazing Grace for him in the cemetery, in front of his tomb as soon as possible, wearing the kilt, in honour to his engagement during WW1.

Sorry for my very bad English.

Aye.

Nathalie.

5B690D3B-4FFA-496E-93BF-F2CFF42B49C0.jpeg

5C21DB97-1064-4AED-BEF7-25143240D7D6.jpeg

Welcome Nathalie, and thank you for your photos.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

On 27/08/2020 at 16:09, Tom Lang said:

Welcome Nathalie, and thank you for your photos.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Aye All,

Thanks a lot for your answers, details... I know a little more about W Connor now.

I’ll send you a pic when I will play the bagpipes for him.

I guess you know about it, but there is a very interesting WW1 museum not far from Provins.

https://www.museedelagrandeguerre.eu/

Brgds

Nathalie

7 hours ago, Pamina said:

Aye All,

Thanks a lot for your answers, details... I know a little more about W Connor now.

I’ll send you a pic when I will play the bagpipes for him.

I guess you know about it, but there is a very interesting WW1 museum not far from Provins.

https://www.museedelagrandeguerre.eu/

Brgds

Nathalie

Nathalie,

The Museum link is to a really great Museum - and all thinks to Jean-Pierre Verney.

Thanks for adding to my knowledge.

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

The WD of the 7th Argylls for the date July 13 to 20, 1918 (2 pages), are attached.
On July 16, the Diary shows that they were travelling by train and received orders to detrain at NOGENT and notes (last sentence):
"... One man severely injured by accident during journey - died two days later".
He is not mentioned on the 18th.

I assume that William Connor is that man.
Kindest Regards,
Tom.

7th Argylls WD - 1918 07 13 to 16.jpg

7th Argylls WD - 1918 07 17 to 20.jpg

Edited by Tom Lang
Add text

With the help of http://www.tmapper.com/:

Here is a map snippet of NOGENT...

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

NOGENT Map Snippet - via tMapper.jpg