Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sister Ellen Andrew 58th CCS Died March 1918

DaveBrigg

Hi

Does anyone have any further information about Sister Ellen Andrew, from Wrawby, Lincs, who is recorded as dying on 21st March 1918 whilst serving with the 58th CCS? She is buried in the Lillers Communal Cemetery, where the CCS was stationed, but the date coincides with the German Spring offensive, which I don't think reached that far on the first day.

There is currently local discussion as to whether her name should be added to the Brigg war memorial - it seems to be an issue of parish boundaries and the criteria used for choosing names at the time. It would be great if the bare details could be fleshed out a little in response to the interest being generated.

Many thanks

Dave

Dave, I don't know what the Brigg War Memorial people need but Ellen Andrew (sometimes Andrews) was from Wrawby. Ellen was a member of the Leicester Infirmary Nurse's League and her name is on the memorial in Leicester Royal Infirmary and on a memorial plaque in the Royal Garrison Church, Aldershot. She was killed in a German air-raid on 58 Casualty Clearing Station, Lillers. One of the few WW1 women to be killed through the direct action of the enemy as opposed to dying of illness or disease. She is worthy of being remembered and as far as I can see it is just a matter as to whether Brigg want to do so.

Many thanks Glen and Jim. I had no idea that nurses also had service records, but downloaded the linked record and found 97 pages of notes. It includes missing details about family members, place of birth, lists of items of kit returned to her mother, many letters from family complaining about the slow progress of payments made to next of kin and poignantly, her signature. It appears that she was the only nurse killed in the air raid, although one other was wounded. There is even a copy of the relief form listing who took her position, with the rather blunt "Reason of return to United Kingdom : Killed". In just one letter is there mention of a fiance. It had been suggested she was killed in shellfire, so the reference to an air raid will serve as a timely correction.

The council are currently discussing whether to add her name to the memorial. She came from the nearby village of Wrawby, which was apparently in the same parish as Brigg at the time of the war. Council opinions range from 'If she died serving her country of course she should be included' to 'If we add her, there might be 20 or 30 more names requested'. There has been some interest from the local press, and the information you have provided should go a long way to supporting her case. My hope is that a photo can be found somewhere, but I have no leads at the moment.

I will, of course, happily share copies of the NA documents if anyone wishes.

There were three nurses with her when she was killed, Lutwick, Brown and Maxey.. All three were awarded the Military Medal for their actions that night.

Norman

Thanks Norman. I found the following, from the war diary of a Staffordshire Regt soldier:

21st Thursday/23rd Saturday

Myself included in a party of 18 B Sect march to Lillers for temporary attached Duty with No. 58 C.C.S. The place bombed at night and the Station by Hospital also one train of ammunition blown up, and fired. Shells blown all over the town and into Hospital. Many casualties. Nurse killed and Matron badly wounded. We turned out in Stretcher Squads to the scene, the bombing continued for hours.

Albert returns from leave on the 19th.

Ward Duty in the No. 2 Serious Surgical Wounds

http://stafffordsire...march-1918.html

The Archive records suggest that her mother always called her 'Ellen Andrew', but the official documents and her signature clearly show 'Andrews'

Dave

Can you PM me about an unrelated matter; I do not seem to be able to send you a PM

Chris

Today is the 95th anniversary of her death. Her mother Mrs Leeson had lost two husbands, and both sons were in the services when her daughter was killed. In 1921 she wrote to the War Office to claim a sum owed to her, asking for the process to be hurried up because she was in financial hardship.

Edited by DaveBrigg

• 4 years later...
On 05/03/2013 at 00:19, DaveBrigg said:

Hi

Does anyone have any further information about Sister Ellen Andrew, from Wrawby, Lincs, who is recorded as dying on 21st March 1918 whilst serving with the 58th CCS? She is buried in the Lillers Communal Cemetery, where the CCS was stationed, but the date coincides with the German Spring offensive, which I don't think reached that far on the first day.

There is currently local discussion as to whether her name should be added to the Brigg war memorial - it seems to be an issue of parish boundaries and the criteria used for choosing names at the time. It would be great if the bare details could be fleshed out a little in response to the interest being generated.

Many thanks

Dave

Hello Dave Brigg my Grandfather won the MM the night that Sister Ellen Andrew died. His name was Corp Mark Anderson The letter from the Lt Col it mentions great bravery on that day? He did not die until 1972 but I knew nothing of his war record? We just been to Lillers and seen the station where it happened and visited the war graves in Lillers and saw Sister Andrews headstone? Alex

• 1 month later...

From the german NB 21 march 1918 during this night BG 3 bombed railroads at Boulogne, Wimereux Calais ST Pol and Lillers. It mentions a heavy ammunition explosion at Lillers. This looks like the unit that bombed Lillers.

• 10 months later...

q6wi461h1zrf3yx6g.jpg

7sxt6g09t9a2t0q6g.jpg