Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ww1 navy medal cards

david todd

my g grandfather was james green skipper 1044 wsa.what does the wsa stand for?

I don't know but I've had a look at the medal record. All the men with W.S.A. after their number were Stokers.

I believe the suffix WSA indicates a Warranted Skipper, and the A indicates first five year engagement.

Terry

yes see what you mean very strange.the story goes he had six boats all taken by the rn which he was paid compensation,he is said to have skippered one of them the tynet which he kept after the war but i cant find any evidence of that,i found the tynet but he was not the skipper.it is also said that he and tynet a mine sweeper picked up survivors from the lusitania and took them to larne ireland where he was stationed but again i can find no evidence of this.kind regards david

thanks terry what would that mean

James Green 1044 W.S.A. Seniority 27/1/15, was Skipper of the Hired Drifter CHRISTINA MAYES from 25/6/15 [Navy List September 1915] but another Skipper was in command by 22/3/16.

very interesting, was it common to be moved around?what was the name of the other skipper.thanks. david

Movement around trawlers and drifters was commonplace. There were more than 2,300 skippers RNR on their first period of enrolment (WSA numbers).

Skipper Robert W FINDLAY, 884.WSA, RNR was in CHRISTINA MAYES from 22 March 1916.

thanks very much.kind regards david.

thanks terry what would that mean

Most skippers from fishing would initially be given the rank of Temporary Skipper in the RNR

The W.S.A. seniority date would be the date he acquired the RNR qualification.

The rank was the equivalent to a Warrant Officer, (NCO)

Terry

Most skippers from fishing would initially be given the rank of Temporary Skipper in the RNR

The W.S.A. seniority date would be the date he acquired the RNR qualification.

The rank was the equivalent to a Warrant Officer, (NCO)

Terry

thanks terry. kind regards david.