Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt. Hon. C.H.M. Meysey-Thompson.

Paul Chapman

I've just had an e-mail about his service file from the NA:

'Thank you for contacting The National Archives to report the problem. We have now checked the original document and you are indeed correct in your suggestion that he was in the Rifle Brigade. Also the date should be from 1908-1919. We have now amended the description and the covering date.'

Somebody must have mixed two files up or something - they don't suggest how Connaught Rangers ever got into the description.

I have checked WO 339/6592 and it has been amended. While searching I noticed that there is also a file WO 76/280/39 which appears to relate to 1906 when he joined, but may have other pre-1913 material on it.

So this thread has resulted in several clarifications.

Not for the first time on this forum, though, the OP has never come back once to say a word about the clarification of his question as well as the answer to it, that had already been achieved within 24 hours of his posting it thanks to several members' collaboration. Oh well, it's been very interesting anyway so thanks for the question!

Liz

Edited by Liz in Eastbourne

Not for the first time on this forum, though, the OP has never come back once to say a word about the clarification of his question as well as the answer to it, that had already been achieved within 24 hours of his posting it thanks to several members' collaboration. Oh well, it's been very interesting anyway so thanks for the question!

Liz

Thanks Liz for confirming what we thought may have happened via the N.A.

I agree that it does seem strange that someone asks a question which leads to several interesting points being raised and clarified including the poster's original question, and yet he makes no response whatsoever. Perhaps if he sees this he will now respond?

Robert

Thanks Liz. Good to have it clarified that he had no Connaught Rangers service.

John

Liz

Yes, seems to be happening more and more frequently lately (sigh!!)

Andy

• 5 weeks later...

Been off-line for quite a while and have just got back. Incredible amount of information; thank you one and all. Excellent.

It was the repatriation I could not get my head around. I read somewhere that an unknown number of 'surreptitious, under cover of darkness'

exhumations were carried out after the war but no substantive evidence to support.

Coming across this one repatriation has shed a lot of light, thank you once again.

Paul.

• 4 years later...

Just revisiting this old thread. There are over 100 Rifle Brigade Officers listed at the NA as Connaught Rangers in the December 1914 lists alone.

Armentieres winter 1914-15

Andy.

Meysey Thompson.JPG

Edited by stiletto_33853

• 2 weeks later...

His WO76 entries as mentioned by Liz if they are of any use.

Andy

img804.jpg

img805.jpg

img810.jpg

img811.jpg