Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Andy Wade

Old Contemptibles Association - List of badge numbers

AndrewThornton
On 04/02/2020 at 23:01, Tracy said:

Hello - maybe not the correct forum.  I rescued some old booklets when my neighbour was disposing of them.  They are regarding the Woolwich and District Branch Annual Dinner Dance in 1927 and 1928 and have been autographed by various members such as Sir H. Uniacke, Rev Owen Watkins, W Leaney etc.  The toastmaster was Capt Dann in 1927.

Would anybody know if they are of value to anybody?  Happy to donate them to the IWM if they would be interested.

Many thanks

Tracy

Hello Tracy. I have sent you a PM. 

Bardess

@Tracy

You will need to make a further post to enable access to the PM system [which shows as an envelope to the left of your name on the header]

Dia

I am looking for for my grandfather's name in the contemptible list

I have a photo which I have found with stuff as I trying to do my family tree! my grandfather is Arthur john George Veness? Dont know how to upload the photo!!!!

Many thanks Di 

MaxD

Welcome Dia

16 hours ago, Dia said:

I am looking for for my grandfather's name

Was he a Seaforth Highlander?

Max

Ellen Docking

I have a letter sent to my grandfather from king George in 1918. Would this be of interest to any museum ?

Ellen Docking

I have a letter sent to my grandfather from king George in 1918. Would this be of interest to any museum ?

Michelle Young

Welcome to the forum Ellen. Who was your Grandfather? Was he a member of the Old Contemptibles Association? If so @AndrewThornton would be very interested I'm sure.

Michelle 

Dia
On 04/03/2020 at 14:02, MaxD said:

Welcome Dia

Was he a Seaforth Highlander?

Max

Yes have found out that he was. 

20200303_223929_001.jpg

MaxD

There is a medal card for 10382 Acting Company Sergeant Major A G Veness (shown as AGJ Veness on a medal roll) who served with 2nd Battalion Seaforth Highlanders and who went to France on 23 August 1914.  This would entitle him to be called an Old Contemptible.  Whether he joined the Old Contemptibles Association is another matter.  

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D5680349

If you say whereabouts he lived, someone may be able to say where the local branch was but whether the records exist I don't know.

Max

Dia

Not sure where he lived during the war but lived in battersea in 1924 when my mum was born then but lived in Plymouthin (1934) later in life and died in Weymouth 1939 mum was 14.

Dia

Do you know what any of the wording means in the remarks box? Cant make it out. Thanks Di 

Screenshot_20200310-235932_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

MaxD

It looks as if it refers to him returning his 1914 Star perhaps for addition of the clasp to the Star (which he had to apply for) and it being re-issued to him.  CRV is the Certified Receipt Voucher which recorded the receipt and IV is the Issue Voucher when it was sent back.

The Clasp referred to is the Clasp and Roses:https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/the-british-campaign-medals-for-the-great-war/  (scroll down to Clasp to the 1914 Star)

Max