Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old Contemptibles Association - List of badge numbers

Andy Wade

There is a medal card for 10382 Acting Company Sergeant Major A G Veness (shown as AGJ Veness on a medal roll) who served with 2nd Battalion Seaforth Highlanders and who went to France on 23 August 1914.  This would entitle him to be called an Old Contemptible.  Whether he joined the Old Contemptibles Association is another matter.  

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D5680349

If you say whereabouts he lived, someone may be able to say where the local branch was but whether the records exist I don't know.

Max

Not sure where he lived during the war but lived in battersea in 1924 when my mum was born then but lived in Plymouthin (1934) later in life and died in Weymouth 1939 mum was 14.

It looks as if it refers to him returning his 1914 Star perhaps for addition of the clasp to the Star (which he had to apply for) and it being re-issued to him.  CRV is the Certified Receipt Voucher which recorded the receipt and IV is the Issue Voucher when it was sent back.

The Clasp referred to is the Clasp and Roses:https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/the-british-campaign-medals-for-the-great-war/  (scroll down to Clasp to the 1914 Star)

Max

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Welcome to the forum. Calling @AndrewThornton who is our resident OCA expert.

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

I am very new to researching my grandfather's past in WWI.  So far I have been able to determine that he was in fact an Old Contemptible.  Is it possible that he would be one and not be part of the Old Contemptible Assoc. and therefore not have a badge number?

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. If you let us have details like his name, date and place of birth, regiment if known, members can help you. Have you looked up his medal index card (free on ancestry) to see if he was entitled the 1914 star with clasp and roses? 
Michelle 

5 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. If you let us have details like his name, date and place of birth, regiment if known, members can help you. Have you looked up his medal index card (free on ancestry) to see if he was entitled the 1914 star with clasp and roses? 
Michelle 

18 hours ago, Raxawa said:

I am very new to researching my grandfather's past in WWI.  So far I have been able to determine that he was in fact an Old Contemptible.  Is it possible that he would be one and not be part of the Old Contemptible Assoc. and therefore not have a badge number?

• Admin

If you post his name and details, I'm sure that @AndrewThornton might be able to assist. People can't help you without the basic details I'm afraid.

Michelle 

Yes, I have found his medal index card, and it indicates he was entitled to the 14 Star, but it doesn't say anything about the clasp and roses.  His details: Thomas Knight, born 1892 in Walworth, Southwark,London, Regiment - ASC. # T/29155. I would also like to understand some of the details on the medal Index card.  There are numbers which I don't understand.  Beside the Victory medal line - RASC /101 and then B /141; Beside the 14 Star line - ASC / 3 - whta do these numbers and letter B mean?  I understand the RASC and ASC codes. Thx

• Admin
  • Admin

I can't find the card on Ancestry (nothing new there) is there a date of entry to theatre of war marked? 

His date of entry to France was 22 Aug 1914.  Clasp and Roses had to be applied for by the man (or next of kin  if he didn't survive).  There is nothing on the award roll to show he applied. Others on the same roll, same unit, did apply and received the clasp.

The letters and numbers refer to the roll on which the awards are listed, these can be found on Ancestry so ASC roll 3 has his 1914 Star, the others are the reference number of the BW and V roll.  As you see both have page numbers following.

I am unsure what evidence the Association needed for him to belong, perhaps as he never applied for the clasp he never applied to the Association..  On the face of it, the medal roll would do me!

Max

MaxD, thank you for your explanation of the Medal index card numbers.  I read the explanations on the Longlongtrail site but these specific number allocations aren't described.  So is it at all possible now to apply for / get the clasp and roses?  and the Old Contemptible badge?

Another question I have, and this may not be the correct forum, is how to find out information on his Corp / Division / Unit etc.  The medal index card shows 2 Coy (is a Coy the Corp?), 4.Div.T which I interpret to be the 4th Divisional Train??? but also not sure what that means if it is that!!

The annotation on the 1914 Star Roll is for No. 2 Company of the 4th Divisional Train, Army Service Corps.

With regard to applying for a Clasp and Roses to be issued retrospectively, I am afraid that it is highly unlikely that the MoD Medal Office would agree to this after nearly a century. 

The Old Contemptibles' Association no longer exists and therefore no badge would be issued to next of kin. They were only ever issued to individuals who had their eligibility checked and could show (in the vast majority of cases) that they qualified for the Clasp and Roses. This frequently involved potential Chums writing to the War Office Record Section to have written confirmation sent to them in order to satisfy these requirements. An issue of a Clasp and Roses despatched during the late 1920s and the 1930s (particularly late 1938/early1939) recorded on a Medal Index Card and on the 1914 Star Roll usually indicates that an applicant wished to join the Association. I have however come across individual cases of Chums being members of a particular Branch who did not however meet this requirement as they did not possess or qualify for the Clasp and Roses. How they managed to remain members of the Association I cannot explain as, unfortunately, the Headquarters Records no longer exist.

Edited by AndrewThornton

Thank you for these details.  It is understandable that it wouldn't be possible to obtain the clasp and roses, or the badge given the criteria and passed time.  So now on to research the #2 company of the 4th Division Train.  Any suggestions on where to find our more information on this company and where they were at different times during the war?  Thanks again.  I know more now than I did, which is always a plus with this kind of research.  I'm still looking for enlistment papers, demobing papers, medical info (I know he was injured twice - gassed in 1915, and shrapnel injury in 1918) but can't find any other details / info from non-existent medical records!!  Both Ancestry and the National Archives have provided the least amount of information so far!!

Hi,

The war diary is available to download (free once you've registered an account) from the National Archives - link. I suspect, but am not 100% certain, that no. 2 company was renumbered to no. 25 company.

11 minutes ago, Raxawa said:

shrapnel injury in 1918

Findmypast has this fragment of a record...

image.png.85d743a68210f020ae31e85f21b1c8a8.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

Regards

Chris

Oh wow - thank you!!  Do you have the date of this record fragment??

I did get an account but I didn't find that!!  I wasn't able to find much in the war diary.

The unit was 4th Divisional Train which consisted of a number of ASC companies.  The war diary at the national Archivers lists 18, 25, 32 and 38 Companies:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352147

I haven't checked it out but I have found that a divisional train starts out life with 1,2,3 and 4 companies, (his was 2 Company) and later on they are renumbered so 2 Coy becomes whatever.  My suggestion is you download the war diary (free at the moment) and read it to see if that is what happens.  I have skimmed the start only, be aware that on Ancestry the months are filed in reverse order so Aug 1914 is the last month.  So you read the month's entries in numerical,order, then back track to the next month and read that one the same way - hours of endless fun.

You will have to make the assumption that he stayed with that unit as his service record has not survived.  There is an undated scrap of a casualty list on Findmypast which lists him (somewhere, no date/place) with a wound to his left thigh

Max

Hi Raxawa,

1 hour ago, Raxawa said:

Do you have the date of this record fragment??

Max has found the same thing, Whilst no date is given, you might be able to date it though. What I'd tend to try is to look for surviving papers for other men on the list. If you find two, or more, you might see a commonality, and make a reasonable inference. 

It looks like he may have originally joined up in mid-ish August 1910. There are a couple of Silver War Badge records for 'near number' ASC men which show:

T/29100 Maskell - enlisted 5.8.1910

T/29151 Polley - enlisted 15.8.1910

T/29155

T/29343  Nisbet - enlisted 28.9.1910

T/29395 Warner - enlisted 7.11.1910

Might this be him in the 1911 census? - Ancestry link

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Hi Raxawa,

Going through the list in post #52, the first two men I saw with surviving service papers are 6480 Bowers (Suffolks) and 3321 Spinks (RFA), both being discharged in 1916. What their papers show is:

Bowers

image.png.eaff4e723e66024952eae896e79c3b7c.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

Spinks

image.png.57710b89cfb8a8c6423ae1344fd06e27.png

So I think what the list may represent is his admission to St Bartholomew's hospital on 11.12.1914. Having recovered from his thigh wound it is possible that Thomas wasn't 'recycled' back to his original unit.

20 hours ago, Raxawa said:

Yes, that is he in the 1911 census, but we always thought he enlisted in 1914.  Maybe he joined earlier??

From the 14 Star Roll (Ancestry Link) there are some records for a couple of other men from his unit that appear on the same page.

S/22360 Kemp - mobilised (at Aldershot) 7.8.1914 from Army Reserve

AHT/436 Lester - mobilised (at Aldershot) 6.8.1914 from Army Reserve

T/25375 McCombie - mobilised (at Woolwich) 5.8.1914 from Army Reserve

So it seems likely that Thomas signed up in 1910, did his time as a 'regular', before being sent to the Reserve, and returning to civilian life. The terms of his engagement may have been, for example:

image.png.0854b4ecd286635ca3a1fbb1171ad98b.png

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Wow.  How did you find that in Findmy past?  I put their information into Ancestry and got nothing, and the same for my grandfather in both Ancestry and Findmypast!!  Seems like I'm not doing it correctly!!