Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
NeilEvans

Wellington Journal & Shrewsbury News 1914-1920 (Completed)

Guest John Gibson

Hi Neil

I am trying to locate a press cutting for Samuel Evans who was killed in action on 8th September 1917. I have been told a report of his death appeared in the Wellington Journal around the 29th October 1917.

Can you hep please?

regards

John

Hesadevil

I'm trying to locate the obituary for James Frederick Elphick, 45 New Church Road, killed in action in 1918, buried at Maissemy.

Hi Neil,

I would appreciate a photograph of William Edward Morris and his Brother.

Recently I discovered a memorial cross to William in Calverhall churchyard and would love to research him some more

Thanks Abe

hihehim

My great grandfather died officially 2nd august 1917, H.J Pitchford. i was wondering if there was a mention of him in the newspaper. Welch regiment 10th battalion. i noticed it was officiallylisted in the london gazetter 19th sept 1917 he was a publican talbot house, any help would be greatfully apprecaited 

Morar Andrei

I know it doesn't make any sense or connection to this topic, but its funny how the name of a region from Romania got its name in USA too. How did they choose this name?

Hi,

im wondering if anyone can help me find any photos or information about my great grandfather. Herbert Handley, he was on the duke of wellington (East Riding) as a private. He was taken prisoner and I’ve found an interview but am looking for more. I don’t have anyone left on this side of my family to ask or see photos 

many thanks

kate

charlie962
2 hours ago, Kate chapman said:

im wondering if anyone can help

Welcome to the Forum Kate.

I wonder why you have chosen this thread for your enquiry rather than starting a fresh one; unless of course your GGF came from Wellington/Shrewsbury Journal coverage area** ?

Do you mean East or West Riding ?

Do you have an army number ?

Do you know in which year he was captured ?

Charlie

PS there is an International RedCross PoW record (actually at least 3) for a Herbert Handley of A Coy, 2nd West Riding Regt suggesting capture end of 1914 and hospitalisation. Could this be him ?

**Edit-  I see now there is a surviving service record for him showing he was born Ludlow.   An old soldier having first enlisted aged 19 in 1902. Army Number  6913 although incorrectly transcribed by Ancestry as 6013

A bit more:  Trf to Murren (hotel edelweiss) Switzerland Aug 1916 then repatriated via Lyon and Le Havre to home Sept 1917 and discharged same year with a Silver War Badge.

Fold3 have an earlier service record 1899 for the Shropshire Light Infantry 5930, bought himself out within 3 months.

He was reported missing 11/11/14. The War Diary shows the 2nd Bn had some 380 OR casualties in that day's fighting.

Edited by charlie962

2 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Welcome to the Forum Kate.

I wonder why you have chosen this thread for your enquiry rather than starting a fresh one; unless of course your GGF came from Wellington/Shrewsbury Journal coverage area** ?

Do you mean East or West Riding ?

Do you have an army number ?

Do you know in which year he was captured ?

Charlie

PS there is an International RedCross PoW record (actually at least 3) for a Herbert Handley of A Coy, 2nd West Riding Regt suggesting capture end of 1914 and hospitalisation. Could this be him ?

**Edit-  I see now there is a surviving service record for him showing he was born Ludlow.   An old soldier having first enlisted aged 19 in 1902. Army Number  6913 although incorrectly transcribed by Ancestry as 6013

A bit more:  Trf to Murren (hotel edelweiss) Switzerland Aug 1916 then repatriated via Lyon and Le Havre to home Sept 1917 and discharged same year with a Silver War Badge.

Fold3 have an earlier service record 1899 for the Shropshire Light Infantry 5930, bought himself out within 3 months.

He was reported missing 11/11/14. The War Diary shows the 2nd Bn had some 380 OR casualties in that day's fighting.

Hi 

you are right he was in west riding, I found this site and thread through an article. Which I now can’t seem to find.

thank you

kate

SALLY THOMAS

Hi Neil

My Great Uncle Henry Thomas was from Wroxeter/Eaton Constentine he was killed in the war his body was never found.  He is remembered on the plaque in Wroxeter church.  I would love to put a face to the name and wondered if there was one?  I have a lot of photos of men in uniforms some with the KSLI badge but there are no names its so sad as everyone who would have remembered has now passed.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Sally

Kate.A

Hi there!

I'm digging into my family history and have found photos of Regarding information on a deceased relative that passed during WW1 and would like to know more information about him. He was in The Royal Welsh Fusiliers . If I get a reply I can give you more details on the individual. 

thank you, 

Kate 

suesalter1

I know some information on the RWF as three of my ancestors served in the regiment - 13th, 16th and 24th battalions. Any use to you?

Sue.

Michelle Young
1 hour ago, Kate.A said:

Hi there!

I'm digging into my family history and have found photos of Regarding information on a deceased relative that passed during WW1 and would like to know more information about him. He was in The Royal Welsh Fusiliers . If I get a reply I can give you more details on the individual. 

thank you, 

Kate 

Welcome to the forum.
It really would be better if you started a new topic in Soldiers with as much information as possible in order for members to help you. 

Michelle