Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
NeilEvans

Wellington Journal & Shrewsbury News 1914-1920 (Completed)

NeilEvans

Hi all,

Last year i finally completed photographing and indexing the Wellington Journal & Shrewsbury News 1914-1920.

Let me know if you want any look ups.

Neil

6th Shropshires

Well done Neil, how many K.S.L.I. lads are in the Journal.

Annette

NeilEvans

Annette........there 1,251 entries for ksli men, some are duplicated such as a photo appearing one week and the write up the following week.

Might be worth meeting up one day, I don't fancy sending them via email :-)

Hi, I wonder if you have any information on Thomas William Vaughan of The Rock. Private 11751 1?4th KSLI. He died of wounds on 11.11.1918 and is buried at Cambrai East. I have a very poor photo and was hoping your reproduction might be better.

Greglewin

Hi Neil,

I'd be interested to know if you have anything about 26550 William Gough 6th KSLI who died 20 Sep 2014.

Cheers,

Greg

NeilEvans

Hi, apologies for my inactivity on the Great War Forum. I shall have a look this weekend for you both.

abbrover

Do you have anything on 15397 Pte John Taylor KSLI died 6 September 1916, please

NeilEvans

Hi, I wonder if you have any information on Thomas William Vaughan of The Rock. Private 11751 1?4th KSLI. He died of wounds on 11.11.1918 and is buried at Cambrai East. I have a very poor photo and was hoping your reproduction might be better.

here you are

Do you have anything on 15397 Pte John Taylor KSLI died 6 September 1916, please

Here you are Judith

Hi Neil,

I'd be interested to know if you have anything about 26550 William Gough 6th KSLI who died 20 Sep 2014.

Cheers,

Greg

Nothing on William Gough

post-31332-0-89776700-1420305028_thumb.j

post-31332-0-77530700-1420305034_thumb.j

post-31332-0-24554200-1420305267_thumb.j

post-31332-0-17410400-1420305273_thumb.j

bigronhartley

Hello Neil

Is there an entry in the Wellington Journal & Shrewsbury News 1914-1920 regarding :

Cpl William Henry Redman, MM 418 /604177 On the outbreak of war in 1914, William enlisted in the 1/1 Shropshire Battery RHA (TF) on the 8/9th August at Shrewsbury for 4 years service in the UK. His attestation papers show that he was 38 years and 2 months old and working as a groom at Loppington ‘Hall’, Shrewsbury. Awarded Military Medal for action of 28 September, 1918 (Suppl London Gaz 11 February, 1919).

Regards

Ron

NeilEvans

Hello Neil

Is there an entry in the Wellington Journal & Shrewsbury News 1914-1920 regarding :

Cpl William Henry Redman, MM 418 /604177 On the outbreak of war in 1914, William enlisted in the 1/1 Shropshire Battery RHA (TF) on the 8/9th August at Shrewsbury for 4 years service in the UK. His attestation papers show that he was 38 years and 2 months old and working as a groom at Loppington ‘Hall’, Shrewsbury. Awarded Military Medal for action of 28 September, 1918 (Suppl London Gaz 11 February, 1919).

Regards

Ron

Hi Ron,

I can't find an entry for him.

Neil

bigronhartley

Hello Neil

Thanks for looking, much appreciated.

Regards

Ron

Notts Gunner

Hi Neil

Is there anything for my great uncle

19036 L Cpl Harry Leonard FOX

6th Battalion KSLI

Son of Henry and Ellen Fox of the Queens Head Inn, Wrockwardine Wood

Died of wounds 2 April 1918

KRs

Malc Fox

Nottingham

NeilEvans

Hi Neil

Is there anything for my great uncle

19036 L Cpl Harry Leonard FOX

6th Battalion KSLI

Son of Henry and Ellen Fox of the Queens Head Inn, Wrockwardine Wood

Died of wounds 2 April 1918

KRs

Malc Fox

Nottingham

Hi Malc,

There is nothing for Harry Leonard Fox, but there is for Francis Jones, who you mentioned on another topic.

Neil

post-31332-0-14008200-1420488313_thumb.j

post-31332-0-82718100-1420488319_thumb.j

Notts Gunner

Hi Neil

Many thanks for this. Most appreciated

KRs

Malc Fox

jim.hood

Hi Neil

I just found your topic and wonder whether this might be the answer to something I have been trying to find out about my Wife's Grandfather, George Howard Teece, who fought and survived WW1 in the Royal tank Corps (see attachment for his details). He won the Croix-de-Guerre medal in France, probably in the second half of the war, and I would really like to find out any details of his heroics, eg what battle he won it in and what he did to earn the award. Something like this may well have been reported in the local newspapers as he was a Wellington man from birth to death.

Any information concerning George's army life at this time, including the above, would be much appreciated.

Jim

post-115619-0-08510900-1430508194_thumb.

17tankman

If you go to the National Archives and look in the war diary for the 9th Tank Corps he is listed in there as receiving this award but they have him down as Pte G Leece.

A lot of foreign awards were given instead of the British MM as they either had a limited quota or to many gallantries came up. All foreign countries gave each other gallantry awards to use up.

17Tankman

ps a lovely group keep them in the family

jim.hood

Thanks 17Tankman

Unfortunately my old brain doesn't seem to be navigating the National Archives website very well. I searched the war diaries for 9th Tank Corps with no results and can't seem to find the list containing Pte G Leece.

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

Jim

abbrover

Do you have anything on Pte George Adams, wounded September/October 1917 and then KIA March 1918 6th KSLI, originally from Wellington?

Thanks

dgibson150

Jim

I missed this thread and only found it by googling "George Howard Teece" when I was checking out the awards list in the 9th Battalion's war history.

You may very well have already worked this out, but George received his Croix de Guerre for his actions on 23 July 1918 during what is variously described as the battle of Sauvillers/Moreuil/St Ribert. The 9th Battalion war diary is summarised on https://sites.google.com/site/landships/9-battalion-23-july-1918, which also has other references for accounts of the battle.

David

jim.hood

David (dgibson150),

Thanks so much for your very interesting post. I had no idea of the battle (and date) at which George won his Croix-de-Guerre, but have now downloaded some of the full war diary copies, for the 9th Battalion Tank Corps, from T.N.A. I would be very grateful if you could point me in the direction of the "awards list in the 9th Battalion's war history", and any other related records, as I am a bit new to this fascinating hobby and still learning where everything is!! As a matter of interest, the only hint I had of George's actions of bravery, etc. came from an older member of my wife's family, who had a vague memory that George may have come to the aid of an injured French Officer, under fire, and taken him back to safety. This now looks possible, knowing that the battle of Sauvillers/Moreuil/St Ribert involved the 9th battalion in support of the 3rd French Division. The information and link, that you provided, also seems to fit in with a small scrap of paper that we found handed down to the family in George's possessions. We have always been disappointed not to have found the rest of the document as it seems to be relevant to his award. It is just a torn-off corner, both sides of which are copied below, but the title side may well relate to the battle of Sauvillers.

Jim

dgibson150

Hi Jim

Glad you got the message.

George's name is on page 51 of the War History document, WO 95 107-5. He is the last name on the Croix de Guerre list as G Leece (a typo). The reverse side of your scrap of paper is the French General Order No. 248 which is also in WO 95 107-5 starting on page 56.

There is no doubt that both sides of the scrap of paper relate to the Battle of Sauvillers. I don't recognise the style of the front page, but the facts fit in. The 9th Battalion was fighting with the French 3rd Infantry Division in the centre of the action.

Maybe the best way forward is for you to send me a Personal Message with your e-mail address and I can give you more details/pointers.

Kind regards

David

davidmbrown

Hi there. I wondered if it might be possible to check if there is anything in the Wellington Journal on an Edgar James Hussey. He was from 56 St Michael's Street, Shrewsbury. Edgar Hussey served with the RFA and died on 31 March 1918 near Cambrai. 

Many thanks

David

davidmbrown

My apologies. The place of death should say Cambrin.

David

Balfour

Neil

A group of volunteers are engaged in writing biographies of each name on the Wellington Lych Gate for 1914-1918.

We would very much like to meet up with you to discuss our work. What's the best way of confirming a mutually convenient date and time?