Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Cumberland News

rickpreston@nasuwt.net

I am not sure whether this has been put on the forum, please forgive me if it has.

The Cumbria Library service has put on line, for general use the Index for the Cumberland News 1914 to 1919.(The Cumberland mews covers the area around Carlisle). I came across it by accident and found it extreemly useful in tracking down where artricals were on some soldiers I was researching.

The index was created by two ladies and took 18 months to do, they were encouraged by the Local Studies Section in Carlisle. These ladies are now working on Westmorland Herald and I believe others are working on the Cumberlad and Westmoreland Herald in Penrith.

The library service in general is trying to index all the local Cumbrian News papers for 1914 -1919. They are looking for volunteers so if you live in Cumbria and have some spare time then enquire at your local library, I am sure they will accept willing helpers.

To find the Index-go to Cumbria County Council- Libaries, or I found it by Googling - 1WW Cumberlad News Index.

Rick

Many thanks for sharing this Rick - for others, the URL is http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/libraries/localstudies/newspaper.asp and from there you can download the Cumberland News World War One Soldiers Index as a pdf.

Really useful!

Cheers, John

Very useful index. What are the options for viewing the Cumberland News - is it online?

Thanks

John

Thanks, Rick.

Will have to ask for photocopies/scans?

Kath.

Have also just found some really interesting names in this list. I guess a trip to Colindale Newspaper Library may be the only option (assuming they haven't shut it yet).

Thanks again to Rick for the tip-off.

John

• 6 months later...

Thanks so much Rick for doing this. An excellent piece of modern research and indexing of a local provincial paper rescuing and restoring the memories of these many men!

John

From across the big pond!

Toronto

John

I have to say that I did not do the research but two ladies did . I am imprest that the Cumbria County council are attempting to index all the local newspaer intheir area. A have nothing but praise for this effort on the part of Library service. I have put it on the forum to spread the word that this is available.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've just seen your topic on the Cumberland News. My grandfather hailed from Workington and joined the regular army in 1912 as a soldier in The Kings Own Border Regiment, are you able to confirm or know if I can access from Lincoln internet news on his battalions movements etc.

Regards

Garry

• 2 weeks later...

I've been researching the hundreds of men from Brampton & District who served during World War One for a number of years. As part of this, and taking the research further, I've been methodically working my way through the Carlisle Journal, comprehensively photographing as I go, pretty much everything war related within it's pages - articles, photos, casualty lists etc etc. Once I'm finished (eventually!!), it'll be quite an index.

Chris

Chris

I am sure the libraian at the main library in the lanes will be interested in your project. I know that the library service in Cumbria is aiming to Index all it local papers.

keep up the good work it iss you say a most useful resource .

Richard

Garry

I note your entry on 25th Oct. If you can give me your Grand fathers Name and date of birth. Iwill check if he is in the index of the Cumberland News.If he is I willl Photo the ref and send it it to you when I am next in Carlisle Libarary

Richard

• 1 month later...

Cumbria's Library service have now put on line the full index of names of servicemen who lived in the KENDAL area = THE WESTMORLAMND GAZETTE.

Richard