Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Abbreviations

Rockdoc

I'm working on the AA Section Diaries again today and have just finished 74th AAS A Sub at Kopriva for 29th April 1917. The entry for that day reads:

Day opened with strong sun but hazy sky. At 09.50 plane heard in westerly direction believed to be hostile. ALG informed by wireless. KBS and B Sub Section by phone. The plane could not be seen and was last heard apparently due East.

14.30 One BE passed over position flying Eastward it afterwards came back and passed our position flying to the N

Can anyone suggest what ALG and KBS might mean?

Keith

Doh! They were guarding a blessed kite balloon! I'm getting dafter - if possible. I thought similarly to you on the other one. Kopriva isn't a million miles from Lahana and Marian where there were aerodromes so some kind of liaison between the RFC and other nearby units makes good sense. There's also the point that we're in the Struma Valley, which is flat and gives great visibility but is nine miles or more wide so there would be many times when enemy planes were seen flying patrols but be out of range of the AA guns.

Thanks,

Keith