Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNAS Air Mechanic

Mara

Trying to find out anything I can about Gilbert White who was an Air Mechanic (originally RNAS and later RAF) 245382 and for some time was based in Mullion.

I am particularly interested in finding out about C2 - an airship in which he said he was wrecked in the sea off Cornwall in December 1918 and rescued by a trawler.

post-96810-0-90519200-1362003956_thumb.j

If I have added the attachment properly you can see a group photo - can anyone tell me anything about the uniform? Is it possible that he ended up as an officer?

you can see a group photo - can anyone tell me anything about the uniform? Is it possible that he ended up as an officer?

Except for one man standing in the back row (4th from the left) all these men appear to be RN Petty Officers

C.2 Built at Kingsnorth. First flight September 1915. Retained for experiments. Trials 28 January 1916. To Mullion from Kingsnorth by rail 1 April 1917. Inflated 5 April 1917. To Howden from Mullion via Pulham 13 December 1918. Captain from October 1918 until April 1919 was Lt A. E. McEwan. Hours flown: 88 hours 15 minutes 1916, 771 hours 24 minutes 1917, 1,414 hours 14 minutes 1918. C.2 was one of the outstanding "Coastals". When finally deleted in 1919, C.2 had averaged 3 hours flying per day over-two-and- a-half years.

From "Battlebags" by Ces Mowthorpe.

The men in the photo are apart from the man mentioned by michaeldr, ratings in Class 3 uniform, i.e. ratings not dressed as Seamen. I can't see any petty officers badges on their left sleeves. The man standing [eighth from left] is also wearing a khaki uniform but with an R.N. cap. These men could easily be with the R.N.A.S. The two men sitting on the ground wearing navy blue puttees are typical R.N.A.S.

I think he could have ended as an officer as I did a quick search on FMP & think he is listed on THE ROYAL NAVY OFFICERS MEDALS

http://www.findmypas...eVariants=false

if the link doesn't work this is a transcript

It does say that it was issued by Air Ministry

First Name(s):Gilbert

Last Name:WHITE

Service:R.N.A.S.

Medals & Clasps earned:Victory & British War Medals

How Issued or disposed of:Issued by Air Ministry (for service in RAF).

• 6 years later...

I think my great grandfather William Payne is the gentleman squatting on the left of photo smoking the pipe. 

He was a 1st Class Private in both the RNAS and RAF.

Based at HMS President (stone frigate) at Crystal Palace and at Howden.

Gilbert Arthur White, born 13 December 1899.

Enlisted on 04 January 1918 in the RNAS at entry rank.
Remustered in the RAF as a Private 2nd Class.
Source: RAF Muster roll 1918
http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/7000176506-white-g.a

Further detail will be available from his RNAS and RAF service records respectively. Requests to obtain free copies of records from others is against the rules of the forum, though.