Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Man missing from CWGC -1st soldier killed on British soil ?

ss002d6252

Hi Summer, 

How goes the dissertation writing? Are they finished? If so I would be very interested if you would let me read them.

My particular interest is in the activities of the 18th DLI during the Bombardment of Hartlepool as my wife's great-uncle was a sergeant in that unit. Did Scarborough/Whitby have any troops garrisoning their part of the coast? BTW my MA was taken at Birmingham in British First World War Studies, so you can see I am a serious student!

Your entry here has prompted me to look up Eden Camp on FB. Perhaps it will open again one day as I hope the Heugh Battery will.

Best Wishes

DeryckC

As an aside Albert F Bennett's brother

bennett.JPG.6cb77d1f9cda8dcddf0ab4a0a05d7d55.JPG

Also perished 

Dependent  pension  claimant Mr C Bennett (father) of of 16 Norwood St Scarborough

Just seen this for the first time.

Well done Craig @ss002d6252 for getting this man commemorated.

One thing, why does the headstone (and presumably CWGC) commemorate him as A.F. Bennett rather than with his full name Albert Featherstone Bennett?

• Admin
4 hours ago, DeryckC said:

Hi Summer, 

How goes the dissertation writing? Are they finished? If so I would be very interested if you would let me read them.

My particular interest is in the activities of the 18th DLI during the Bombardment of Hartlepool as my wife's great-uncle was a sergeant in that unit. Did Scarborough/Whitby have any troops garrisoning their part of the coast? BTW my MA was taken at Birmingham in British First World War Studies, so you can see I am a serious student!

Your entry here has prompted me to look up Eden Camp on FB. Perhaps it will open again one day as I hope the Heugh Battery will.

Best Wishes

DeryckC

Summer hasn't visited the forum for 12 months I'm afraid.

Michelle 

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Just seen this for the first time.

Well done Craig @ss002d6252 for getting this man commemorated.

One thing, why does the headstone (and presumably CWGC) commemorate him as A.F. Bennett rather than with his full name Albert Featherstone Bennett?

CWGC has his full name - https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/75450681/ALBERT FEATHERSTONE BENNETT/

I know nothing about the headstone etc as I had nothing to do with that side of it.

Craig

A excellent piece of research resulting in a soldier being Brought In from the Cold. A Northumbrian Gunner tragically killed by enemy fire in in his own home. This I would suggest was definitely a first for WW1.

I have brought information together in a Blog entry. Please let me know if I do not have the acknowledgements right or if I have missed anyone.  

Gunner AF Bennett killed in Bombardment of Scarborough - Northumbrian Gunner meanderings - Great War Forum

• 2 months later...

Following on from this subject slightly going off but at Hartlepool, one man being Harold Credland from Barton upon Humber, were these the first sailors killed in action in British waters by enemy action since? Also youll have seen the Heugh Battery plaque, which makes the claim that the first British soldier killed on British soil 08:10 was there.  I have another place to do some digging on the Hull lad.  Its very interesting as I certainly wasnt aware of his existence..re the grave marker, perhaps a re-interment in Hull? Will sniff around. ATB Sean  

19 hours ago, toofatfortakeoff said:

Also youll have seen the Heugh Battery plaque, which makes the claim that the first British soldier killed on British soil 08:10 was there. 

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_1_xRuFjPjU/TgB7bL9GWqI/AAAAAAAACFw/lCW3wUXoDjE/s1600/HeughBatteryMemorial.JPG

large.HeughBatteryMemorial.JPG.7f93b420c7be534f74de29ed81feb3c8.JPG

Edited by ianjonesncl

Nice photo, it would be all about the timing of who was the first.