Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Man missing from CWGC -1st soldier killed on British soil ?

ss002d6252

Albert Featherstone Bennett was the 'only soldier' killed during the 1914 bombardment of Scarborough. I have looked before but couldn't find him on the CWGC and the proof he was a serving soldier was lacking. I have now found his service record.

post-51028-0-03694200-1361817973_thumb.j

post-51028-0-50500600-1361817971_thumb.j

post-51028-0-19986900-1361817972_thumb.j

Well done on finding the record.

Was his mother also killed? Johanna Bennett?

She was, the family were at home when the shell hit. John Ward was the grandson and George Barnes a 'lodger'.

Found his civillian death registration - Scarbourgh / 9D / 478 / 4th / 1914

Cant see on CWGC, SDGW nor Find a grave

Grant

in 1911 family is living at 30 Norwood St, Scarborough

Albert is a General Labourer

John Ward is 6

George Barnes is 1

Grant

Thanks Grant, I posted on here and had a look about 18 month - 2 years ago but I couldn't prove he was a serving soldier.

Was he the 1st british soldier killed on English soil due to enemy action ? There is a sign at Hartlepool but I wonder - http://en.wikipedia....uk_-_429905.jpg

There were a couple of RGA men killed (and some DLI ?) at Hartlepool but that was after the attack on Scarborough had started (although the attack did continue for an hr or so).

How would you like to go about getting him submitted to CWGC? We at IFCP can help you

Thanks Chris - I'd be happy for the IFCP to submit him if they are able to. I've tried (for other men) to get records updated at the CWGC and that was fight, never mind trying to get a new man added.

If you send me a PM with the appropriate email I can give you what evidence I have.

Cant see on CWGC, SDGW nor Find a grave

I suppose in 1914 the IWGC/CWGC was still in the future and many people didn't apply retrospectively for the men to be added.

PM duly sent

He is named on a transcription of Scarborough war memorial both as a casualty of the bombardment and as a soldier.

He was not the first as I understand it, Theophilus Jones of 18 DLI is acknowledged as the first, and the plaque near where he was killed also states this, he was one of several 18 DLI men killed at Hartlepool during the bombardment (there were other casualties including members of the RGA and at least one Engineer)

As for starting times for the bombardments, Hartlepool started at 0810 and Scarborough at 0800 however Scarborough had a longer bombardment owing to the gunners at the Heugh Battery and Lighthouse Battery defending Hartlepool so would be a matter of timing - I'm sure they would have checked the details before claiming Pte Jones was first though

As for starting times for the bombardments, Hartlepool started at 0810 and Scarborough at 0800 however Scarborough had a longer bombardment owing to the gunners at the Heugh Battery and Lighthouse Battery defending Hartlepool so would be a matter of timing - I'm sure they would have checked the details before claiming Pte Jones was first though

The reason it peaked my curiosity (apart from him being missing from CWGC) is that the timing of the death of soldiers in action was likely recorded more accurately than that of a man who was 'off duty' at the time of his death. I do agree that there is a larger time scale for the Scarborough raid but the fact they were still in the house made me wonder if they were some of the casualties at the start of the bombardment and whether it was possible that he was killed before those at Hartlepool - I plan to keep looking but in any case I'm happy that I've probably located one of the first men to be killed and have his name added to the CWGC (which Chris is kindly looking in to)/

Well done Craig

an article on the Scarborough bombardment can be found Here

a list of those killed ect and a photo of the damage to 2 Wykeman street

a paragraph states that Albert was from 2 Wykeman Street Scarborough

and he was taken to hospital where he died

Regards Ray

Great feeling ss002d6252 to find and put forward a Poss-non-comm, and well done for not given up on the search.

Walter.

Thanks Ray - I had spotted that report but the comments in it make we wonder where he died as it states:

The only soldier to die in Scarborough was Albert Bennett but he died in a private house along with two others in 2 Wykeham Street.

and

Two people died at hospital - Albert Bennett who was from Wykeham Street and JP Hall.

I think i need to look further as if he died in hospital he certainly wasn't the first soldier unless he was wounded,taken to hospital, and died within 10 minutes or so.

Its not actually a man I have any connection with other I saw him mentioned in an article and decided to take a look at his CWGC records, which I could not find. Until now though I couldn't prove he was a serving soldier.

Craig

Craig

I agree there seems to be some conflicting evidence

whether Albert was killed at Wykeham Street during the initial bombardment or died in hospital

I wonder if his death certificate will shed any light on it

nevertheless his death as a serving soldier seems to have been overlooked by the cwgc

Albert was almost certainly one of the first soldiers to killed on British soil

Its possible that he may have been the first soldier killed,and not Theophilus Jones

The time frame is extremely tight

proving it or disproving it is going to be difficult without some supporting evidence

congratulate yourself on another soldier almost out of the cold

regards Ray

Albert was almost certainly one of the first soldiers to killed on British soil

Its possible that he may have been the first soldier killed,and not Theophilus Jones

The time frame is extremely tight

proving it or disproving it is going to be difficult without some supporting evidence

That's it on the head - quite possibly something which can never been proved, but as you say, the most important thing is that another missing man has been found.

Craig

His grave has been found at Manor Road Cemetery Scarborough; there is no headstone. George James Barnes is buried in the grave with him along with some earlier & later family burials

I will now get the case submitted through IFCP

Chris

• 5 weeks later...

For anyone else following this, on his enlistment forms he was down as an employee of the North Eastern Railway - there is no mention of him in the NER Magazine following the bombardment, although every other NER man killed is mentioned, either those still working on the railway or Private Les D Turner who had joined 18 DLI, there's also no mention in the National Railway Museum's roll of railway men killed in WW1 here;

http://www.nrm.org.uk/RailwayStories/~/media/Files/NRM/PDF/research/ww1railway.pdf

And he also doesn't feature in my original 1919 North Eastern Railway roll of honour - although it's not complete as several hundred more were later added to the total number, i'd be surprised if they'd miss out anyone so early and on home soil, so not a case of 'missing' later declared dead etc

• 6 years later...

"Illustrated Memorial of the East Coast Raids by the German Navy and Airships, Including authentic List of Persons Killed; showing representative pictures of the damage wrought in the various districts."  

By Hood & Co. Ltd. St. Bride Works. Middlesbrough. 1915.

Scarborough.. (2).jpg

Scarborough (2).jpg

15 hours ago, Summerbmth said:

Hi Guys, 

I've just read this conversation after I've been looking into trying to get the Bennett Family a headstone. I'm a local historian to Scarborough, and a postgraduate Masters History Student at  York. 

I've written my dissertation on the Scarborough bombardment and i will do so for my next dissertation for my Masters Degree. 

This is an ongoing project with me and work (Eden Camp Modern History Theme Museum.) We are hoping to get the family a headstone, but i'm needing some extra information first. I cant seem to access his death records, but is anyone could help it would be much appreciated. 

Kind regards,

Summer Alanya O'Brien 

I've just been discussing these issues on Facebook with Wayne Murray. You must be the person doing the dissertation he was mentioning.

If i can help then let me know.

Craig

• 1 year later...
On 18/12/2019 at 16:13, Summerbmth said:

Hi Guys, 

I've just read this conversation after I've been looking into trying to get the Bennett Family a headstone. I'm a local historian to Scarborough, and a postgraduate Masters History Student at  York. 

I've written my dissertation on the Scarborough bombardment and i will do so for my next dissertation for my Masters Degree. 

This is an ongoing project with me and work (Eden Camp Modern History Theme Museum.) We are hoping to get the family a headstone, but i'm needing some extra information first. I cant seem to access his death records, but is anyone could help it would be much appreciated. 

Kind regards,

Summer Alanya O'Brien