Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Pierce09

13 Sqn war diaries

Orson

Thanks again, Charlie.

sue

XIII Sqn Support

Hello Everyone, I found this forum when research the XIII History.  By way of Intro I am the OC Support Flight on XIII Sqn and am trying to piece info back together for the Sqn archive and history.  Anyone still active here?

charlie962

welcome to the Forum, OC Support,

There are experts and, like me, enthusiastic amateurs lurking in the wings (stage not 'plane)

You have but to pose a question !

Charlie

Buffnut453

Welcome aboard. A few of us here are former "Stabbed Cats".  As Charlie mentioned, just ask questions. I'm consistently amazed at the communal knowledge available on this forum.

StabbedCat

Good evening everyone,

Appreciate this isn't a "welcome/introduction" section so i'll keep it brief. 

I work with OC Support (above) and am possibly more up to date with these forum type thingies... it's probably OC's age (joke, honest!) as i'm not sure he's aware anyone has replied to him.

We're currently in the process of digging out as much historical content, such as the diaries that are the subject of this thread, in order to digitise it to preserve it for generations to come. I'll be making a separate post in order to go in depth, however if anyone who has participated in the discussions on this thread is able to provide any kind of content, whether it be diary transcripts, photograph photocopies, etc etc, we would be very appreciative. Feel free to PM me.

Many thanks!

XIII Sqn Support

Cheers for that Stabbed Cat, Ive had a few issues with access then profile being deleted blah blah blah but..... for everyone's info a great deal of the Sqn history was lost in a fire at Stafford and as such our archive is pretty bare saving some info on WW1 and WW2 but nothing huge.

Buffnut453

Shout if there's anything I can do to help with this project.  As a former stabbed cat myself (during the Tonka recce years), I have an interest in helping preserve the Sqn's history.  I can't provide much info but if you need help transcribing records, let me know.  

Cheers,
Mark 

XIII Sqn Support

Cheers Buffnut453, the issue is apart from some Sqn photo books we have NOTHING relating to the Tonka years other than what I can glean from the web etc.  I am off to AHB to copy/peruse the F540s etc to gather facts and start the rebuild.  Anything you have to tell or that you can copy/send would be massively appreciated.

Family Historian
On 16/02/2018 at 21:30, Writearound said:

I hope the following information will be of use to the organisation that posted the photos and to Christopher Garrod.

I also have a copy of the second photo and a partner to it of the CO, Major  A G R Garrod, with the Ground Crew of 13 Sqn at the same location.  The clarity is sufficiently good in this second photo to see '13 Sqn' and 'RAF' scratched, painted, or chalked on the front of the building at the top of the steps.

My husband's grandfather (320) Sgt Maj Henry James MM appears in this photo - very back row where there are two men standing within the steps leading up to the viewing area.  Henry is the one on the right.  The only other person I can identify stands to Henry's left along this same row. His name - Milo Charles Wheeler.

Henry had superimposed a date on these two photographs - 11.11.1918.  If, as has been suggested, the location is Le Hameau then could the photo have been taken on the formation of the RAF (1.4.1918)?  Otherwise the diary seems to be saying that 13 Sqn was based at Carnieres on that date.  Henry was Irish and had kissed the Blarney Stone but so far we have found considerably more than a grain of truth in all his WWI exploits and the information he has left us.

Henry joined the RFC from the Royal Artillery as an air mechanic around August 1912.  He was based at Netheravon with 4Sqn and flew to France on 13 August 1914.  At some point, as a very senior and experienced NCO, he must have transferred to 13Sqn but we do not know when.  Has anyone  information that could help us pin down the date and location of the photograph?

Dodie