Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13 Sqn war diaries

Pierce09

On 7-7-2016 at 11:50, Cavalryman24 said:

Hi, Would you have anything on: 

Lt Henry Clements- Finnerty 17th Lancers attached RFC, Flew  a B.E.2c/d serial number 7333 with 13 Squadron. He would appear to have been captured by the enemy 27/06/1916. A picture would be fantastic, anything at all would be appreciated.

Where did you get the date "27/06/1916? He was taken prisoner on 19 july 1916t:

http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Zoom/E/04/01/C_G1_E_04_01_0029/C_G1_E_04_01_0029_0206.JPG/

His RFC card:

http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/clements-finnerty-h

Regards,

Luc.

• 4 weeks later...

My paternal uncle was Oswald Frederick Grevatte Ball -killed  April 1917 whilst flying as a pilot with 13 Sqn RFC. I have a typed copy of his complete Pilots Log Book, pictures, watches etc, plus a most interesting letter from his OC to Oswald's father (who was a School Headmaster in Shoreham, Sussex) -it by-passed the Official Censor and describes the actual circumstances of his death and how the Sqn was only just coping  with its continual losses. I'd be happy to send copies  if this would assist in your ongoing researches. I would prefer to use the Royal Mail as opposed to  'online' for this.

I myself am now aged 74 and flew as a fixed wing pilot with the AAC for 6 years. - I'm all for todays generation understanding how terrible WW1 was!        e-mail is; richardfgb@hotmail.com

Richard Grevatte-Ball

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2014 at 02:37, nieuport11 said:

He was attacked by 7 enemy aircraft over Fampoux on a photo recce but landed safely on aerodrome 6.6.17

2Lt LR Neville wounded/8228 Cpl L Tucker wounded (Aerial Gunner)

Previously on the 9th April he overturned on the aerodrome while flying BE2e 6262

Lt LR Neville Ok/Lt WEW Cushing Ok

Mate,

Would you happen to have the serial no. for the B.E.2e and the full name of Cpl l. Tucker?

thanks in advance

tcrean7828

Can't help with the plane number but somewhat with the name: Tucker, Leslie J E, Cpl, 8228

Hope this helps,

Luc.

17 hours ago, LDT006 said:

Can't help with the plane number but somewhat with the name: Tucker, Leslie J E, Cpl, 8228

Hope this helps,

Luc.

Mate,

It does - tks

tom

• 2 months later...
Guest granddaughter2

I am very new to this...I am looking for information about my grandfather who flew with Squadron 13.  He was on a casualty list April 11, 1917 as an injury connected to this squadron. His name is  2Lt John Clilverd Young.... Any mention?

granddaughter2

Lt J C Young and Lt L G Banks were aboard B.E.2d 5803 and were forced to land at map reference H23b due to engine trouble while on patrol; as far as I know, neither man was injured.  

Graeme

• 2 months later...

Looking for possible mention(s) of Bryan Rotherham, IY Boer War veteran (59th Company, 15th Battalion) who was commissione into 13th Squadron RFC on May 4th 1917.

Any help appreciated.

MC

• 1 month later...

Mate,

Could you possibly have the Combat Report for this information 30 May 1917:

Combat Report submitted by the 13 Sqn crew of Lt. Bell (possibility 2/Lt. Oswald Frederic Grevatte Ball) (pilot) and Lt. Joseph William Greig Clark (observer) on B.E.2d (5875). The narrative reads,'While doing a shoot on B.21.A.30.77 this hostile machine and another were observed. When just over our lines over Roclincourt it

appeared to be manoeuvring to dive on our machine; I opened fire on him about 30 rounds and he immediately wheeled about and went back towards Bailluel. He did not fire on us. The other machine also went away.'The time was 1740 hrs, height 2,000 ft and location given as Roclincourt (this is 4 km north north-east of Arras)

Any information concerning the crew members of B.E.2d (5875) would be greatly appreciated.

tcrean7828

Edited by tcrean7828
additional info

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2015 at 13:20, Alister said:

I am researching the background to Lt Herbert Howell Evans, 13 Squadron, as part of the Wrexham War Memorial project. Do you have any further details about him (from the Squadron War Diary), particularly when he joined? He emigrated to Canada in 1913 having previously lived in Wrexham. He served with 4 RWF pre war a with 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles Bn in France before transferring to the RFC. Any information would be much appreciated.

Do you enough information on Herbert Howell Evans now? From what I've researched, he went to Canada in 1911. I know he had a daughter from his marriage to Frances. Also, there's a picture of him in uniform ( battalion 63 C.E.F), that I posted online some time ago. 

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Hello

New member here, hoping to find out more about my Grandfather

2 Lt Leonard Powers Wallis who was a pilot with 13 Sqn briefly in 1917

I believe he contracted a lung disease and was transferred to instructional duties back in UK

Many thanks

Jim

• 7 months later...

Pierce09;

Are you able to confirm the date that 13 Sqn RFC took up residence at Izel les Hameau?

I understand you may have access to war diary info and if so it could help me greatly.

To be more specific I am actually trying to determine when the airfield went operational and I suspect that happened when 13 Sqn moved in.

Best Regards

Edited by Guest

On 14/01/2018 at 15:00, RJW47 said:

Pierce09;

Are you able to confirm the date that 13 Sqn RFC took up residence at Izel les Hameau?

I understand you may have access to war diary info and if so it could help me greatly.

To be more specific I am actually trying to determine when the airfield went operational and I suspect that happened when 13 Sqn moved in.

Best Regards

This is the list of locations for XIII Sqn.

Gosport              England         10.1.15

St Omer              France          1.10.15

Vert Galand                         12.3.16

Savy                                18.3.16

Etrun                               9.5.17

Le Hameau                           22.3.18

Mory                                22.9.18

Carnieres                           19.10.18

St Omer                             19.1.19

Segdeford            England         24.3.19

Hope this helps.

Pierce

• 4 weeks later...

The Lashenden Air Warfare Museum at Headcorn in Kent holds the peaked cap, belt & tie along with a 4 bladed propeller from a RE8. We also have 3 photographs they came to the museum from the family of a 13 squadron pilot whose name was Bourner or Bourne or something very similar ??? he came from Kent.I have attached the 3 photos.

The first shows the pilot, in uniform  who is he?

The second shows the squadron sitting outside of a building we would like to know where or any other information

The third shows C flight 13 squadron August 1918

Any help or information appreciated

bourner 4.jpg

bourner 3.jpg

bourner 2.jpg

On 2/12/2018 at 16:14, aerohistorian said:

The Lashenden Air Warfare Museum at Headcorn in Kent holds the peaked cap, belt & tie along with a 4 bladed propeller from a RE8. We also have 3 photographs they came to the museum from the family of a 13 squadron pilot whose name was Bourner or Bourne or something very similar ??? he came from Kent.I have attached the 3 photos.

The first shows the pilot, in uniform  who is he?

The second shows the squadron sitting outside of a building we would like to know where or any other information

The third shows C flight 13 squadron August 1918

Any help or information appreciated

bourner 4.jpg

bourner 3.jpg

bourner 2.jpg

Hi we are about to hold a special event in St Ives Cambridgeshire on Saturday 19th March to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the death of Acting Flight Commander Miles Jeffrey Game Day DSC  of the 13th Squadron RNAS. He was shot down over the North Sea flying a Sopwith Camel (N6363) whilst engaging 6 enemy planes. Here is the letter from his Wing Commander to his parents

No 1 Wing

R.N.A.S

c/o  G.P.O  London

March 3rd 1918

Dear Sir,

I have not written before to announce to you what I fear must be the death of your son because I still hoped we might hear something. He was shot down by 6 German aircraft, which he attacked single handed, about 25 miles out to sea. He had out distanced the other machines in his flight in his eagerness to get at the enemy & also I think because he wanted to break up their formation in order to make it easier for the less experienced people behind him to attack. He hit the enemy & they hit his machine, which burst into flames, but not apparently a bit flurried he nosedived his machine flattened out and landed perfectly in the water. He then climbed out of his machine & up the tail & waved his fellow pilots back to their base, being in aeroplanes they could not land to assist him. Every endeavour with ships and aircraft was made to find him but no trace of either his machine or himself could be discovered. There is just the chance that a German submarine picked him up but I really don’t know if it is kind even to tell you this as it is a very slender chance. I consider it a privilege to have known your son, he was fearless and selfless & his perfectly charming & open personality had made him beloved by everyone. He was as perfect a pilot as ever existed, his flying was a poem & his influence in his squadron was really priceless, he is a very serious loss to us & I can perhaps only faintly realise the loss he is to you.

Believe me

Yours truly

Peregrine F. N. Fellowes

P.S. We know he shot the machine he attacked as we intercepted a message saying so.

He was also a poet and wrote a number of poems about the experience of flying which were published in 1919 posthumously . He was an exceptionally skilled pilot and after serving aboard HMS Vindex and HMS Cassandra he was sent to the experimental air station at Grain as a test pilot. However he was desperate to serve at the front and managed to wangle a move to the 13th Squadron near Dunkirk in December 1917.

The picture shows the Bristol Scout ( nick named the Bullet) he flew from a flying boat whilst at 1000 feet in an experiment to see if it could be done. The trials were abandoned as it was thought to be too dangerous and only Day was likely to pull it off. We have found letters he wrote whilst serving to a fellow Naval Officer which brilliantly show the life of a RNAS pilot.

Day's flight from another plane.jpg

Day-250x250 (2).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I recognise my grandfather, Major A G R Garrod, in the picture taken in front of the building. He is the officer at the centre of the picture.

He commanded 13 Squadron, I would think that the picture was taken at Filescamps Farm, most probably in late 1917 or 1918. I believe the picture shows all members of 13 Sqdn, and the building is a control and signalling tower; it is visible on other pictures I have of Filescamps that are also available on the IWM website.

On 9/25/2016 at 04:10, tcrean7828 said:

Mate,

It does - tks

tom

Tom,

I just saw this post from 2016.  RFC 8228 Cpl Leslie John Ernest Tucker was born in 1895, attested in 1915, and his prewar occupation was motorcyclist.

His AIR 79 NCO service record gives no information regarding his birthplace or prewar residence, nor does his casualty card at the RAF Museum

(just says L. Tucker, WIA--no details).  Not listed in the RAF Muster Roll April, 1918 (no L.J.E., L.J., or L. Tucker listings).  Also WIA was the pilot,

2/Lt. Leslie Robin Neville.

Josquin

Edited by josquin

• 1 month later...

Hi Pearce

someone sent me a link to this page as you may be able to help me. I am looking into a 2nd mechanic WFJ Prosser, mustered in 7/10 /16, no. 93672. I know he died in France but little else. Have you come across the name?

sue

5 hours ago, Orson said:

2nd mechanic WFJ Prosser,

Sue

You must have seen the local papers- these are some hits on FindmyPast Newspapers but you need a sub to go further; the obits will give useful service info, it seems.

5ae857784cbf9_ProsserWFJfmpnewspaperhits.JPG.e6dfde425bc875a9fac24f0308f17b57.JPG

You will also find his RAF service record on FindmyPast

5ae858a015b5a_ProsserWFJsvcrecordFMP.JPG.0048f49432f288d7b637d6c466d98a04.JPG

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

On 12/02/2018 at 17:14, aerohistorian said:

from the family of a 13 squadron pilot whose name was Bourner or Bourne or something very similar ???

Did you ever get a reply?

There is an excellent site airhistory.org that has a database of people.

There seems to be a good fit for GS Bourner of 13 Squdn who crashed an RE8. Could the propeller be from that ? These are the records (or references to files) for him:

5ae85fdd7efbe_BournerGSairhistoryorg.JPG.5ecebfcb06ea8c1f3834bcd142e7912a.JPG

George Spencer Bourner was born Maidstone District 1899 and died 1956.  Married 1934.  of Hazelden Farm, Cranbrook.

The first photo you posted is a Lt with RFC wings and collar badges. He looks young.

Charlie

Edit  He was awarded Distinguished Flying Cross  LG 8/2/19

5ae86989c1484_BournerGSLG1919.JPG.710764ed5ea012732a02d3a66e43d576.JPG

Edited by charlie962

Hi Charlie

Thanks for that advice. I now find by searching newspaper cuttings other than death notices that he was an 'aero photography' mechanic. Is it possible to know or guess if he would have flown?

Sue

On 03/05/2018 at 23:14, Orson said:

Is it possible to know or guess if he would have flown?

Educated guessing-  aero photography mechanic sounds like a man who can install and maintain cameras in aircraft. Like most mechanics, normally ground based. But it is quite possible he had a trip or two as air experience or to deal with a practical problem that only revealed itself when airborne.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962