Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13 Sqn war diaries

Pierce09

Nieu 11

Thanks for post No 59

NILS D....

Details I have are that the sqn was formed in Gosport on 10th Jan 1915 and moved overseas on 19th Oct 1915.

If you give me an email address, I will send you the first two pages from the diaries giving details of the sqn’s activities whilst in Gosport and the order of flight over to France.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone need anything else looking up?

Anyone found some use in the extracts i've found?

Hallo,

Do you have any information on my grandfather, A G R Garrod, who commanded the squadron in 1917 and 1918?

My father and I have several of his documents, and his flying log books, but they only start after the end of the war. It seems that records were kept by the squadron Adjutant?

(I am also researching his brother and 3 cousins who all died in the Great War)

Thank you,

Christopher Garrod

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Can't believe it's been so long since I've visited this forum (let alone this thread). I've found some more photos relating to my Grandad (Walter Keith McMillan) in 13 Squadron.. here's a link to the gallery (I wonder if anyone can shed some light on some of the other people in them?):

If it's easier and of interest, let me know and I'll put them directly in a post. Some of them are scans of fading photos from some of the negatives I mentioned I have - still haven't managed to get them properly scanned. I also discovered my Uncle has his complete log book - he sent me scans of three random pages. Unfortunately I can't persuade him to scan the rest, as he's worried that it's so delicate. I'll have to work on that one.. I've already started scanning some other (off topic) letters that are falling apart, but better to get them documented while they can still be seen I think.

Cheers, James

Mates,

You blokes seam to have a handle on this, can you help with and details on this LH AIF soldier who I record served with 13 Sqn RFC?

CAPEL Kenneth Christopher 519 Pte 6 LHR C Sqn D Troop? WIA 12-7-15 foot shot in demo by Lt Ferguson's Troop from Holly Spur (G) disch to British Army prom 2/Lt 13 Sqn RFC (pilot) BE2c & RE8 prom Capt F&B

brothers Clive 6 LHR, Sydney & Bruce 7 LHR

Can you find him in your records?

Cheers

S.B

Just recorded in RFC records as 'Kenneth Capel'

His RFC record can be downloaded from the National Archives reference AIR 76/75/197

isolated incidents

6.5.16 to be Temp 2Lt for duty with RFC

12.8.16 to be Flying Officer

9.4.17 force landed in BE2c 4493 of 13Sq due engine trouble after being shot on contact patrol Maqnonlieu Lt K Capel Ok/Lt J Brooker Ok

16.4.17 to be Flt Commander and Temp Capt while so employed

At 6.17 Flight Commander 13Sq

His page of Australian nominal roll in AWM online appears to be missing

The location of the forced landing on 9 April 1917 is actually Waggonlieu; I'm having trouble pin-pointing this location, other than sheet 51c NE.

Graeme

Hi All

Can't believe it's been so long since I've visited this forum (let alone this thread). I've found some more photos relating to my Grandad (Walter Keith McMillan) in 13 Squadron.. here's a link to the gallery (I wonder if anyone can shed some light on some of the other people in them?):

If it's easier and of interest, let me know and I'll put them directly in a post. Some of them are scans of fading photos from some of the negatives I mentioned I have - still haven't managed to get them properly scanned. I also discovered my Uncle has his complete log book - he sent me scans of three random pages. Unfortunately I can't persuade him to scan the rest, as he's worried that it's so delicate. I'll have to work on that one.. I've already started scanning some other (off topic) letters that are falling apart, but better to get them documented while they can still be seen I think.

Cheers, James

James,

From his record, it looks like he was with No.13 Sqn in BEF as an observer, and later with No.13 Training Squadron as a trainee Artillery pilot: a very interesting record! I have PM'd you.

Duncan

There was an aerodrome at Wagnonlieu which was at L.22.c on sheet 51C. It was just East of the village of Wagnonlieu. Was that it?

Roger Austin.

Hello Roger

I think that's the right place; I know it was "west of Arras" but I had it as Waggonlieu and on a railway line (?) to Saulty; Saulty is about 18 Km south-west of Arras. I'll have a dig around and see if I've got anything that confirms the spelling(s).

Graeme

Graeme, Wagnonlieu is certainly West of Arras; probably in the outskirts now, and there was a railway running N/S passing just West of tjhe village. It turns SE into Arras and joins another line which ran SW passing close to Saulty. The WWI map can be found on http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1

Look for map 51C, then a 1:40,000 Beaufort map and you should find it.

Roger

Mates,

Thanks for finding him.

I take it he has no victories as this unit appears to be a recce Sqn not a fighting/er sqn.

Do we know what Flight of 13 Sqn RFC he was commander of?

Cheers

S.B

Hi,

When I saw this forum I had to sign in, with the hope, you are perhaps able to help me.

I'm doing a research for a friend, his uncle was Arthur (Hood) Wardlaw 402599, he was a second lieutenant at 13 squadron RFC of WW1.

I already found his medal card at the public record office at Kew, where his function is decribed as Air Mechanic 1st class.

We know also that he was stationed with 13 Squadron in 1917 at a place called Etrum, N-W of Arras.

He was shot down in a R.E.8 and killed together with his pilot Sargent Stanley on the 30th September 1917 at a place called Tilloy.

We also found the Germans name who claimed the shot down, his name was Ltn. Ernst Hamsher of Jasta 37.

Strange enough it was ten times easyer to find photos and records of the German than of my friends uncle.

I also found out that this German claimed two R.E.8 that day 30/09/1917.

What we still want to find out, and see is next:

-Any records of his los?

-information on the pilot that was with him?

-is there a flight record of 13 squadron available of that particular day he was shot down?

-And if possible we also want to find out the serial number of his aircraft?

-Any photos on the persons in question, or the aircarft as far if something is availeble?

Of course any other availeble information, would also be more than welcome.

Cheers,

Danny

Aeroplane recorded as an RE8 serial A3731 , No 420599 1AM A H Wardlaw and No 6717 Sgt Albert Oscar Stanley (pilot) both KIA.

Mission was a photo reconn starting out at 10:50 am to XVII corps front

Both men joined the RFC in 1915 . Sgt Stanley service record is available on line

Both men are recorded on the Arras memorial

hope this helps

Here are some pictures taken a few years ago of Filescamp Farm (Le Hameau):

tn_gallery_116614_914_1961137.jpgtn_gallery_116614_914_610725.jpg

Edit: there seem to be restrictions in uploading and inserting images on this forum, I did manage eventually to get some into the Gallery where they can be viewed full size.

Taken whilst tracing the history of my grandfather:

15 Aug 1914: Officer, 3rd Battalion Leicester Regiment (Wounded at Ypres, Nov 1914)

xx Sep 1915: Seconded to the RFC as an Observer.

21 Oct 1915: Flying Officer (Observer), No ? Sqn RFC.

xx xxx 1916: Staff Captain, HQ RFC

xx Nov 1916: U/T Pilot, RFC.

xx xxx 1917: Qualified as a Flying Instructor (Graded A1)

xx Feb 1917: Flight Commander, No ? Sqn RFC.

5 Aug 1917: Officer Commanding, No 13 Sqn RFC.

Christopher Garrod

Only info i have on that date for them is in the combats section for April as follows;

6th April 2/Lt.E.C.E Derwin with A/M Pierson while on photography fired a double drum at 2 E.A. which attacked them near Roclincourt. the E.A. retired to their own lines.

8th April Capt. T.Macleod with Gunner Pierson while on Artillery Observation engaged 1 and 5 E.A respectively in the Arras Sector. Indecisive.

Pierson's rank is down as 2nd Airman in the diaries.

In the casualties sections for April, the following appears;

11th April 2/Lt E.C.E.Derwin ) Shot down by H.A

2 A/M H.Pierson ) Both wounded

" " 2/Lt.E.R.Gunner ) Wounded in action

Lt.C.Curtis )

I'll keep searching through and looking for any further information

Mate,

I believe this the the men I have been looking for: Lt. Edward Claude England Derwin (WIA) and Gunner 2 A/M Horace Mellet ‘Bob’ Peirson (WIA)

• 3 months later...

Hello! I’m new to the Great War Forum but I’m very interested in what I’ve read regarding 13 Squadron as my Great Grandfather, Herbert Howard MM (Regtl. No. 12737) served as a Flight Sergeant and wireless operator with this squadron from some time in 1917 until the end of the war. I say ‘some time’ because I know he first went to France to serve with 48 squadron in April 1917. (I wish I knew why he was transferred but I don’t – any ideas?)

It was during his time with 13 Squadron that his conduct earned him his Military Medal. On January 20, 1918 – while the squadron was based at Etrun, just west of Arras – he repaired a wireless mast situated at ‘C’ Battery 74th Brigade, R.F.A, under heavy shelling. And then on March 27, 1918 – two days before they moved from Etrun to Izel – he replaced shell damaged tuners at 405 and 151 Siege Batteries, again under heavy fire, in time for the German attack on that position the following morning.

I appreciate that conversation to date had been about pilots, but does anyone have any info regarding Herbert or any other ground personnel?

Also, my research suggests that the good work carried out by the squadron earned them a visit in early September 1918 from King George V. Does anyone have any information regarding this? Thanks.

His service record (available on FindMyPast) shows only 48 Squadron and I (or 1?) W School - presumably Wireless School, from 19 January 1919.

• 8 months later...

Great to see the photo of the prop blade of 13 Squadron, and see my Gt Uncle's name on it (Herbert Howell Evans)!

I am in the process of writing a short biography of Lt Herbert Howell Evans as part of the Wrexham War Memorial project. I would very much like to contact you to get some of the family background.

I am researching the background to Lt Herbert Howell Evans, 13 Squadron, as part of the Wrexham War Memorial project. Do you have any further details about him (from the Squadron War Diary), particularly when he joined? He emigrated to Canada in 1913 having previously lived in Wrexham. He served with 4 RWF pre war a with 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles Bn in France before transferring to the RFC. Any information would be much appreciated.

His military record is AIR 76/153/142 available on the TNA website:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8258372

but AIR 76/153/141 also seems to relate to him as 'Howell-Evans'

The Gazette shows him appointed Flying Officer (Observer) on 3.4.17 with seniority from 29.11.16

He was killed two days later in BE2c 2520 'Gatooma'

He and 2Lt OFG Ball shot down nr St Catherine by one of our own shells whilst on artillery observation

Accession papers are available on the Canadian Library website:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=383603

Casualty card is in the RAF Museum:

http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/?7000270454

He appears as 'Howell-Evans' in some records

THe officers' records are also available via FindMyPast (just in case you have a sub)

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Nieuport 111 and David Underdown for responding. I think I have now managed to piece together the story of Lieut Herbert Howell Evans. If anyone has ever come across a squadron photograph which may contain him, I would very much like to hear from them.

Sorry for the delay, i shall see what i can find. I know he appears in the diary as i recognise the name.

I shall check this week and let you know soonest.

• 7 months later...

Hi, Would you have anything on: 

Lt Henry Clements- Finnerty 17th Lancers attached RFC, Flew  a B.E.2c/d serial number 7333 with 13 Squadron. He would appear to have been captured by the enemy 27/06/1916. A picture would be fantastic, anything at all would be appreciated.