Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Hayes

Raster Scanning

I have recently obtained a Soldiers Small Book that belonged to Pte 4354 Thomas Hayes who enlisted at Aldershot on 5-5-1909 aged 19. He served in the 7th Hussars in SA before the war.

CWGR lists him as died 30th October 1914 while serving with the 3rd Hussars, he is commemorated on the Menin Gate.

Can anyone give me details of where the 3rd Hussars were on the date of his death.

Thanks.

John.

On the 17.8.14, the 3rd (Kings Own) Hussars landed a Rouen in the 4th Cav. Bde. The Cav. Div. On 16.9.14 The Cav. Div. became the 1st Cav. Div. and on the 14.10.14 the 4th Cav. Bde. transferred to the 2nd Cav. Div.

On the 30/10/14 when Pte 4354,Thomas Hayes, who was born Henley, enlisted Aldershot, residence Henley, was k.i.a., the 3rd Hussars were involved in the First Battle of Ypres.

Alan Seymour

On 30/10/14, I think the 3rd Hussars were in the Hollebeke/Wijtshaete/Messines area. I'll leave another post if I can narrow it down any more.

Dave.

They were situated somewhere between Wijtschate village and the Ypres-Comines canal . (Roughly following the road from Hollebeke,through Oosttaverne (near the CWGC cemetery),to Wijtschate).

Dave

Alan and Dave

Very many thanks for the info.

One more thing, preceding his number there is what looks like 'H' and another letter in lower case, possibly 's' or 'r'. e.g. Hs/4354. Does anyone recognise this prefix and did it have a meaning?

Thanks again,

John

John.

The "H" simply stands for "Hussars" (this also appeared on medals). The other letter (being handwritten, I presume?) is as you say, probably "s" or "r" for the end of "Hussars" or "Hussar".

I may be wrong on this other letter,but I'm sure that someone out there in forumland will be able to either confirm or otherwise my assumption.

Dave.

Thanks Dave.

Yes it is handwritten.

John

John.

In that case, I presume that the "r" or "s" isn't an "official" designation, and that it simply stands for "Hussar(s)". The "H" will be part of his service number.

Dave

Cheers Dave.