Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German units v 12th Royal Scots on 25th April 1918 at Kemmel

Kemmel

Hello there and thank you for reading this

On 25th April 1918 around 100 men of the 12th Battalion Royal Scots were killed when they were over run by the 2nd Battle of Kemmel. One of the attached plans show the general location just west of Wijtschate, Belgium, the other show the german order of battle, which I am finding it difficult to understand. I have highlighted in red the position of the 12th Royal Scots.

Can anyone tell me, does it read the "Lagache Front" on this line? Which german regiments attacked 12th Royal Scots, was it the XVIII Reserve Korps or the Bavarian Alpen Korps? What is the 19 RID, and is that RID 73 and RID 78 marked just west of Wijtschate?

I can't remember where I found this plan, does anyone have a better resolution copy please?

post-94794-0-01953100-1361376475_thumb.j

post-94794-0-21655500-1361376482_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

Very interested in this information also, as it will put the final piece to the puzzle where my relative was possibly killed. He was with the 12th battalion Royal Scots, and was killed on the 25th April 1918. Its amazing to really pin - point on a map the exact place that this event might have occurred. Thank you for all of your help.

Steve.

• 4 years later...
On 28/01/2015 at 17:04, stevefogs said:

Very interested in this information also, as it will put the final piece to the puzzle where my relative was possibly killed. He was with the 12th battalion Royal Scots, and was killed on the 25th April 1918. Its amazing to really pin - point on a map the exact place that this event might have occurred. Thank you for all of your help.

Steve.

Stevefogs I know its an old post...but my great uncle was reported missing during this battle he was in the 9th Scottish Div (9th Bn The MGC) supporting the 26th Highland Bde, your relative looks he was in the 27th Lowland Brigade...

Small world Buddy