Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WE McLean

goldsrobin

Good morning Richard,

Thank you so much for this post and the information in it, Thank you also for the lovely photo; I have forwarded it on to his daughter (91) in NZ via her daughter. We went over to NZ in 2017 to meet my aunt and her family. She gave me a great deal of information on WE, or Mac, as he was known after he went to Kenya in 1921. My mother, who I never met, died in 1999 in NZ (long story) having left Kenya in 1961.

I would love to have copies of any photos you have of our common forebears. Quite exciting.

I am currently focussed on 1915 as the first real year of siege warfare on the Western Front and how the process of innovation and learning began. It is fascinating and probably the least studied year of the war. Interesting that it was the year Esler was brought back from the army as a skilled mechanical engineer to work for the Ministry of Munitions. The photo you have sent me, and dated February 1915, was before he was re-tasked.

My email is goldsrobin@aol.com. I look forward to hearing from you and learning more.

Best wishes.

Robin