Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RND at Antwerp

Niko

Hi,

For a short article on the actions of the Royal Naval Division at Antwerp in the WFA Belgium's magazine, I drawed the positions on a Belgian and a British General Staff Map from the area, dated from around 1911. I hope they can be an aide for somebody studying the actions, as the area has much changed today.

Positions of the Royal Marine Brigade at Lierre, 5-6 October 1914:

RMLI_Lier.jpg

The actions at Lierre, October 6, 1914:

RMLI_LIER_061014.jpg

The "Intermediate Line", Vremde - Boshoek, October 7, 1914:

Intermediate_Line.jpg

The line in between the inner fortress line at Antwerp, October 8, 1914:

innerline.jpg

Hope you like them.....

Grtz,

Niko.

• 2 weeks later...

As a relative newcomer ,and an interest in anything RND , the last map with the RND Bns amongst the fort line is interesting. I've seen pictures of the armoured train.Just wonder if it ran up and down on the parallel line behind the forts.(that's if I'm reading the map right and it is a rail line)

Yes, very interested!

In the material available to me I can find nothing comparable

It would help those of us who (like me) are not WFA members, if we could also see a copy of the article to which you refer.

One point which may need further amplification or clarification, is the note in the top left hand corner of the first map –Portsmouth Bn RNAS (Res) ???

with thanks & best regards

Michael

Yes, the train did pass there. it was constructed at Hoboken ship yards. The rail line is a military rail line, no longer in existence but there are some traces left of it between forts IV and V at Mortsel.

Edited by RMLI 1914

Hello RMLI,

Your study about the "Siege of Antwerp" looks very interesting and I hope the Belgian WFA will publish your study. As a member myself I'm looking forward to read it.

But I have a question about that topic: enclosed is a photograph I found recently. I was told some inhabitants of the small village in South West Flanders, were I live, are on the pic. Wonder if you can ID the pic, at least I think the pic was taken in the area of Antwerp october 1914 (????) Maybe you know the building at the background?

KInd regards,

Jef

post-64837-0-13252500-1362239469_thumb.j

It would help those of us who (like me) are not WFA members, if we could also see a copy of the article to which you refer.

One point which may need further amplification or clarification, is the note in the top left hand corner of the first map –Portsmouth Bn RNAS (Res) ???

Well, the article is written in Dutch, it will be published in the Belgian branch WFA magazine.

The Portsmouth Bn of the RMLI was kept in reserve in the first stages of the battle at Lierre, as were the armoured cars of the RNAS. they were both stationed near the Antwerpsesteenweg behind the frontlines, close to the HQ of the brigade.

Just noticed your post and like Michael very interested.

My Great Grandfather was there with Plymouth Bn and I have not seen these maps before.

Regards,

Simon.

Gents I was about to place this image in another thread on the forum when I read the content of this one. The image may assist your efforts. The image copy came from the "Manchester Guardian" printed during the War. Regards Rod

post-36102-0-86619900-1362563810_thumb.j

Very helpful , Niko. Thank you. The maps around Lierre are a long-sought interpretation of the RND Operation Order No.1, which uses very unhelpful map references.

Well, I had been searching my head off in old postcards of Antwerp and Lierre, but couldn't find the large building.

This picture gave me the clue, not only the image itself, but also the caption 'on the retreat from Antwerp', it took another 5 minutes to find the location.

The pictures are taken in the Caserne Leopold (barracks of the 2e Regiment de Ligne) at Ghent, so they actually show images of the retreat of the RNAS from Antwerp.

The barracks were until recently used bij the Belgian Army medical Services, hence the nickname 'Club Med'.... ^_^

Here are some old pictures of the Caserne Leopold as proof:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Grtz,

Niko.

Hello RMLI,

I was told some inhabitants of the small village in South West Flanders, were I live, are on the pic. Maybe you know the building at the background?

KInd regards,

Jef

Hi Jef,

Well just above is the location.....

It is surely true that people from Southwest Flanders will be in this picture, as the 2e Regiment de Ligne had soldiers mostly from the area of East and West-Flanders.

The article will be published in Schrapnel 4 from this year.

Grtz,

Niko.

Very helpful , Niko. Thank you. The maps around Lierre are a long-sought interpretation of the RND Operation Order No.1, which uses very unhelpful map references.

The maps above were made by me using the Operations Order No.1 together with my knowledge of the terrain (I live between fort 2 and Lierre, close to the intermediate line) and the help of some local researchers.

I am especially happy that I finally could identify the location of the intermediate line, as I was unable to do before.

Grtz,

Niko.

Thank you Niko for IDing the building. By the way, I know the building very well, my son is studying at the Univ in Ghent.....

BSM thank you for sharing your pic. It might have been taken the same day.

Kind regards,

Jef

As they were taken during the retreat from Antwerp, both pictures must be dated October 9 or 10, 1914. My best guess would be October 10. They were taken withing minutes from each other.

Maybe you could take a 'now' picture of the inner courtyard for us, Jef?

Grtz,

Niko.

Edited by RMLI 1914

Will think about it, Niko. Next time I'm going to Ghent.

Looking forward to read your study next Shrapnel

Jef

There's another article from me in this schrapnel also, about the Battle of Buggenhout..... :thumbsup:

Niko,

I found this in my collection postcards: a booklet with views of the Leopold Kazerne:

Think our pics must have been shot in the left corner.

Kind regards,

Jef

post-64837-0-98269900-1362665539_thumb.j

post-64837-0-54037200-1362665565_thumb.j

Gents here is the other image from the same source. The buses in the background are interesting. The scene is almost casual as nobody seems to be in a hurry given the circumstances. I trust it adds to your discussions. Rod

post-36102-0-10278600-1362990307_thumb.j

This is a picture of Mortsel, you see part of the Maison Communal (Gemeentehuis) on the right. Picture was taken on 7 October 1914 during the retreat from the intermediate line towards the innfer fortress line. It shows the 1st naval brigade retreating in London buses, which were used as supply train for the division.

The Maison Communal around 1920:

mortsel2.jpg

The area has drastically changed now, after the allied bombing raid in April 1943:

mortsel.jpg

See also:

http://www.erfgoedmortsel.be/artikel/gemeenteplein

Grtz,

Niko.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

My website on the RND at Antwerp in 1914 is already one year active, it's based on my article in the WFA magazine: RND at Antwerp

Great information, Niko

Jef