Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Promising French website

Chris_Baker

• 3 months later...

I'm aware that Chris's original post is being slightly diverted here however.....

Firstly, French is a world language, spoken by over 220 million people around the world. Indeed, it is reckoned that 750 million people speak some form of English but by the argument that as a world language it should be available on the website, so should Mandarin & Spanish.

Secondly, not every 'educated' French citizen speaks English; in the village my Dad lives, very few people speak English. The reason why: they don't need to.

I lived & worked in Paris for two years and was stunned by the amount of British visitors who were surprised that signs etc weren't in French & English. Likewise, I used to shudder when they made no effort to speak any basic French but instead spoke slowly and loudly, expecting everyone to speak English.

As I posted earlier, perhaps we should be concentrating on the fact that there is currently no equivalent British site, no berating the French for their lack of curtesy in making an English version of theirs.

Hear, hear. I too am fed up to the back teeth with the British who expect everyone to speak English; and that is just the popel who have moved to live here permanently.

Fact is that no country much puts a website, etc into another language,. If you want to get your own language; send for a translator.

I don't see British websites with a translation; who here has published a book on some regiment, and included a French translation? After all, they probably served in France.

Don't lke it, well look in a mirror.

It's actually quite a good site. With very good translation tools in top right corner that are part of the site.

The original point phrase in post 1 was 'promising site' and it seems to be living up to that billing

I suspect there will be very useful stuff here. Thanks Chris for letting us know about it.