Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Promising French website

Chris_Baker

No German nor English languages recognized.

There is a translation option, top-right of page egbert, worked fine for me :thumbsup:

Sean.

Looks like a good site & the French have got themselves sorted out with a professional organisation running the show. As to the fact that it is only in French, they probably justifiably expect that other nations that participated would have got themselves sorted out with their own projects so why should they do an English & German version? How many British websites have a French version?

There is a translation option, top-right of page egbert, worked fine for me :thumbsup:

Sean.

Hi Sean, if I click on Chris' link I do not get the English version option. This is what I pops up with me.

post-80-0-56037100-1360835986_thumb.jpg

Hi Egbert, hope you are well. Are you using Google? When I click on the link, the page layout is the same as above, but with a toolbar above with the translation option.

Regards,

Sean.

I am with Egbert....can't find a translation.

Bruce

How many British websites have a French version?

How many French soldiers fought in Britain during WW1 ?

Keith

And it came so close to the French speaking German now ... :w00t:

Very true Chris, twice-over in fact.

Keith

And it came so close to the French speaking German now ... :w00t:

They will Chris, they will. The Alsatians all speak German since centuries, the rest will do soon.... :hypocrite:

Seriously if I click on Chris' link no other language buttom shows up. (Has nothing to do with google, Sean)

I use IE

So it is not a site-inherent feature.

Then my first statement stands firm. The website cites and links and refers to partners in Germany and UK. For such an international event at least English as a second language to communicate with should be the norm. But hey-on the other side -its run by a French government agency, sponsored by 7 ministries. So do not expect other than French language :rolleyes:

I'll stand by my view. Let's see, if and when there is an official British website for the centenary, there are options for French / German / Turkish / Waloon etc translations. I somehow suspect not.

Maybe the focus should be the lack of a similar site over here in the UK rather then the French not producing an English version of theirs.

Chester you compare apples with oranges: English in fact is a world language that any educated citizen will understand to include French people. French language is not.

There is no translation option when viewed in my browser either (Opera, W8) but then I wasn't expecting one. Sometimes the French don't take on board that a significant number of potential site visitors (and visitors to battlefield areas) from English-speaking participating nations don't speak or read French, but then they complain that British people think that the Great War was fought only along a seventy mile long front.

There are places where an English option would make visitors' experiences so much richer and it would increase international understanding of the awful things French people went through.

I think the site has lots of potential as an interesting resource and as it develops, I will return to it. I'm happy with reading French. Thanks, Chris.

Gwyn

I'm aware that Chris's original post is being slightly diverted here however.....

Firstly, French is a world language, spoken by over 220 million people around the world. Indeed, it is reckoned that 750 million people speak some form of English but by the argument that as a world language it should be available on the website, so should Mandarin & Spanish.

Secondly, not every 'educated' French citizen speaks English; in the village my Dad lives, very few people speak English. The reason why: they don't need to.

I lived & worked in Paris for two years and was stunned by the amount of British visitors who were surprised that signs etc weren't in French & English. Likewise, I used to shudder when they made no effort to speak any basic French but instead spoke slowly and loudly, expecting everyone to speak English.

As I posted earlier, perhaps we should be concentrating on the fact that there is currently no equivalent British site, no berating the French for their lack of curtesy in making an English version of theirs.

Gallic shrug from me on this. Looks a good site. Egbert can look at the pictures. As someone once said, in French chauvinism (reputedly after soldat Nicolas Chauvin of the Napoleonic era) is not a dirty word.

cheers Martin B

Glen, thank you for the link, hadn't seen that before.

I note with interest there is no inbuilt facility to see the website in another language ;)

Excellent site I thought ,but call me Mr Pickey why when it comes to the Commonwealth War Graves feature does it have to show the Australian cemetery ? then the photographs below we have a line of Canadian flags on the gravestones , for one I always get the hump when going to Newfoundland Park we have every flag but the British ?

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the link

Gill

Excellent site I thought ,but call me Mr Pickey why when it comes to the Commonwealth War Graves feature does it have to show the Australian cemetery ? then the photographs below we have a line of Canadian flags on the gravestones , for one I always get the hump when going to Newfoundland Park we have every flag but the British ?

This may be a slightly cynical view but it seems to me that the Aussies and Canadians are doing a much better, sharper marketing and PR job at promoting in France and Belgium their national achievements on the Western Front. We will see a great deal more of them during the centenary events than we will of the British.