Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

identify lapel badge

tony paley

My Grandfather retired to pension after 26 years service in the Royal Garrison Artillery. Initially he was appointed to the Port of Dublin Police. Later on he was described as a Customs Officer, presumably with the Irish Free State Govt, and based in Dublin. I have a photograph of him that appears to have been taken in the late 1920s. I have only just noticed (using a magnifying glass) a lapel badge. It appears to be the Irish Angel Harp with Crown surrounded by a slightly oval scroll with writing on. It looks similar to the Royal Irish/Ulster rifles. Grandfather only served with the RGA. so I am wondering whether this was an ex service organisation. Apologies for not having the techno skill to post the image. I have tried this on previous occasions but no luck.

Thanks for any help Tony P

Could this be it? If not, I think you will have to try to put up an image.

Michael.

post-3328-0-18239000-1360790074_thumb.jp

http://www.legion-memorabilia.org.uk/badges/comrades.htm

The Comrades of The Great War were formed in 1917 as a non-political association to represent the rights of ex-service men and women who had served or had been discharged from service during The Great War 1914-1918. Comrades of The Great War is was one of the original four ex-service associations that amalgamated on Sunday 15 May 1921 to form The British Legion

They seemed to have used a number of badges

Michael and Corisande,

Many thanks for the above. you were spot on that was the badge, not sure what I did wrong as I am sure I posted yesterday. Many thanks.

Tony P

My avatar ;) it has a number on the back that isn't a service number. Unfortunately the British Legion in Ireland don't have a number/name list. I checked!

Hardly surprising as from the 30th June 1921 The Comrades of the Great War became the British Legion. Like the British Legion only the branch the member belonged to kept records of the actual membership numbers. It is my opinion that the Legion itself is was based upon the structure of the Comrades of the Great War rather than in any of the other constituent parties. I don't have any real evidence that this is true it is just an informed assessment based upon the badges. It may just be a oc-incidence that the Women's section took over in 1922 from the Auxiliary Women's Section that was part of the original formation.

Have a look at http://www.legion-memorabilia.org.uk/badges/comrades.htm

• 2 weeks later...

depaorO1,

Earlier this evening I did notice your avatar, definately the lapel badge on Grandfather's lapel. He retired from Regular service in 1920, which helps to date the photograph.

Tony P