Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GSWA LT COL METHUEN. (Repost with correction)

Cliff Lonsdale

(I accidentally post this originally under GWSA instead of GSWA)

I am researching James Allin Methuen's service in GSWA in 1915. He would have been of lower rank at that time, I assume. What I do know: Born in the UK in 1878, went to Rhodesia 1902, was in the Defence Force and served in the SA Rebellion in 1914 and under Botha in SW Africa, 1915, where he was apparently second in command of the First Rhodesia Regiment. Later in 1915 he returned to the UK and joined the 60th Rifles, with whom he won the DSO and French Croix de Guerre. In May, 1918, he was appointed to the command of the 18th Northumberland Fusiliers, a territorial outfit. In 1919 he told them he was returning to Rhodesia, and subsequently was in charge of the defence force contingent at Umtali, now Mutare, Zimbabwe.

I have two questions.

1). Can anyone provide leads to more detail about Methuen's service in GSWA? (I have read the account in Stapleton's book).

2). Can anyone provide any information that might help me trace any living relatives?

Many thanks.

The following snippets are from various editions of The Rhodesia Herlad and The Buluwayo Chronicle.

In June 1909, as a Captain, he was in command of the Engineer Company of the Eastern Division, Southern Rhodesia Volunteers.

On 1 May 1910 he took command of the Eastern Division of Volunteers at Umtali.

He was granted leave of absence from 1 January to the 31 March, 1911.

With effect from 25 April 1914 he was promoted Major.

In mid September 1915 he was present at the opening ceremony of the Southern Rhodesia Diocesan Synod in Salisbury Cathedral.

In late February 1917 approval was given to award him a long service medal for the S.R.V.

In December 1917 he attended the memorial service for Sir Starr Jameson held at St Margaret's, Westminster, London.

In a newspaper report of 30 August 1918 states that he was awarded the Croix de Guerre for the German S W Africa campaign.

In August 1922 various 'infant children' were baptised by Bishop Beavan at St John's Church, Umtali; amongst the parents were Col and Mrs J A Methuen.

On 4 December 1922 he attended the unveiling of the war memorial and presentation guns at Umtali. He was president of the local branch of the British Empire Service League.

Aled

Many thanks, Aled. That's a great help.

Cliff

• 11 months later...
Guest Simon Upton

I am a living relative of Col. Methuen, as are my sisters and brothers. James Allin Methuen was my great uncle. I am the grandson of his brother Stuart Alfred Methuen, born c.1888 in Stirling, Scotland and who moved to Umtali before the First World War. I believe he joined his elder brother there and they owned an engineering company. The older brother owned Methuen Castle in Umtali which is I think still in existence. I know someone who described the older brother as setting himself up as a Scottish laird. However he did wear trousers in all the pictures I have seen of him as Honorary (??) Colonel of the Rhodesian African Rifles.

I have a more information if you are interested, but not about the Great War.