Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

?Book about the Lincolnshire Regiment.

glenda hewitt

This is a longshot. Several years ago in Lincoln Library in England I had sight of a

book about the Lincolnshire Regiment.

It was smaller than A4 but possibly a bit bigger than A5. It has a blue cover.

I got some information out of it re the Battle of Messines on 7/6/1917

Have tried to find this book on the web, to no avail.

Wondered if anyone could tell me what the book was called and if it was available

anywhere.

Was going to contact Lincoln Library, but its a bit hard to explain and they have

millions of books.

Thanks in advance.

Glenda

Glenda,

It's possibly "History of the Lincolnshire Regiment 1914-1918" by Major-General C. R. Simpson, published by Naval & Military Press.

Talk to the library and explain what you information you're looking for - they may be able to help or get a book on Inter-library loan.

Andrewr

I have recently moved to Lincolnshire and trying to find books about the Regt but the only other book I have found, but not bought, apart for the history of the 6th Bn is 'The Poachers, The History of The Royal Lincolnshire Regt 1685-1969' by David Nalson.

Mick

There are two about the Grimsby Chums one by Chapman and the other by Bryant, then the Simpson book and the Poachers. None have a blue cover, though, one of the Chums books is light green and a paperback.

There was also a battalion history of the 5th TF lads, Sandalls.

Not seen in paperback version, however.

RichardW

Lincs

There's an online version of the history of the 5th Lincs here http://www.investiga...5th-lincs-regt/ - I assume it covers 2/5th and not just 1/5th

RW

The 6th Lincolns was at Messines and a history does exist, though it only saw the light of day recently (published 2008). According to the Preface it was written by Col F G Spring sometime in the 1920's and based on a diary by Capt R H Clay. It is quite thin, 118 pgs, but has pictorial, laminated board covers. Perhaps you saw a copy of this?

Regards

Martin