Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Doiran Battlefield Archaeology Project - call for volunteers

awakefield

Hello Folks

Just to flag up this opportunity:

Dig Dojran: The Salonika Front Archaeological Project

The Salonika Campaign Society and Great War Archaeological Group plan to begin this project by putting a team into the field between Sunday 15 and Sunday 22 September 2013. This will involve six days of excavations and survey work investigating the Bulgarian defences on the former frontline bastion of Petit Couronné. There will also be two days of optional guided exploration of First World War remains across the wider Dojran battlefield. There will also be a programme of talks and seminars.

We are looking for volunteers interested in assisting the professional team with work on the project. The all-in price (including return flights, in-country transport, accommodation, food and insurance) will be £950 per person for shared accommodation, or for a single room, £1150. Salonika Campaign Society members get a £150 discount on these prices. There are additional discounts available for those with archaeological skills and experience who are willing to take on some core project tasks such as site supervision.

This project offers a chance to contribute to a new, cutting-edge battlefield archaeology project, through which we hope to better understand the Dojran battlefield. The team will be led by Alan Wakefield (Chairman, SCS) and Drs Neil Faulkner and Nick Saunders (University of Bristol & GWAG). For additional information please contact Alan Wakefield via: chair@salonikacampaignsociety.org.uk

ALAN

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this project is planned along the lines of a traditional expedition in that those volunteering to take part cover their costs and make a contribution towards overall project costs. This is going to be a pioneering project bringing FWW battlefield archaeology to Macedonia and the sites surveyed and excavated will be incorporated into a permanent battlefield trail linked to the recently opened battlefield museum in Doiran.

• 2 weeks later...

hallo .

I wonder if you have thought about the weather.In September begins the rains.

chris.

Hi Chris

I'm out in Greece and FYROM most Septembers for the ceremonies of commemoration and leading battlefield tours. Although we've had the occasional day of rain, on the whole over the past decade the weather has been very kind.

ALAN

• 1 month later...

I'm signed up for this and will be staying on for a walking week in Macedonia with Alan (no doubt appearing in the classified section soon), and am really looking forward to it, even though I think I'll have to ration the time I spend wielding a trowel in the interest of my ageing joints.

Keith

Would be very interested as my Great Grandfather fought there with Connaught Rangers but finances not the best at moment. What is the closing date for applications?