Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Horse Artillery ?

Tetbury

Any help greatly appreciated as I'm struggling to identify the uniforms in this photo it's pre first war, one of people depicted (bottom row #2 left) is recorded as a 19 year old on the 1911 census I have discovered this so far;

1911 census. Benjamin Beasley age 19 B Cirencester. Dwelling; Royal Artillery Barracks Trowbridge, occupation Driver. Would I be correct in assuming this is the dress uniform of the Royal Horse Artillery?

Many thanks Paul.

Old_Photo_zps1dc8e9b5.jpg

yes indeed - and that would probably place these men in 'B' Battery RHA, ... I think that is correct. The unit should be identified at the start page of the census listing, if not on each page.

In the photo he is a 'Bombardier' (one chevron right arm at that time), rather than a 'Driver', as that rank (later, 'appointment') wore no chevrons. Presumably the photo is a little later than the census and after he had been promoted.

he also appears to be wearing two chevrons on the lower left sleeve - good conduct stripes? which requires some years service.. I also wonder if the picture might be in India with the tree .. it looks 'wrong' for Wiltshire I get the feeling ... B Bty were in Ambala in India by 1914 if this is indeed B Bty.. do you have any other information on this .. an interesting image..

he also appears to be wearing two chevrons on the lower left sleeve - good conduct stripes? which requires some years service.. I also wonder if the picture might be in India with the tree .. it looks 'wrong' for Wiltshire I get the feeling ... B Bty were in Ambala in India by 1914 if this is indeed B Bty.. do you have any other information on this .. an interesting image..

Yes, good conduct badges (officially) and 2 years for the first but 3 for the second if I remember correctly. Grumpy has posted when various changes took place and the detail can be found via search.

Gents this is absolutely superb information and far more than I ever thought possible to deduce from the photo. The collective member knowledge on this site is incredible.

battiscombe I'm afraid I don't have any other info, although if I discover anything I'll post it.

Thanks again Paul.

Gents this is absolutely superb information and far more than I ever thought possible to deduce from the photo. The collective member knowledge on this site is incredible.

battiscombe I'm afraid I don't have any other info, although if I discover anything I'll post it.

Thanks again Paul.

This is how the uniform looked in colour Paul.

post-599-0-23016100-1360025181_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-42477900-1360025438_thumb.jpg