Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick William Battman 1st & 3rd DCLI

hdbthomas

I am researching a 1st DCLI man, Frederick William Battman, based at Gravesend in Kent (1911), went to france in December 1914 as reinforcements and married his wife violet gertrude Drew in Falmouth in 1916. I do not understand from his batallion history how he ever met violet in falmouth unless possibly he was in Falmouth with the 3rd Battalion before despatch to France but this does seem unlikely as he signed up for 7 years in the colours from 1908. Has anybody any sources of research or educated guesses as how a man who lived in London, was based with his battalion in Kent, Wiltshire, Ireland, came home from the Somme to the 3rd in the isle of wight ever met a lady from Falmouth?

Any related history of person or battalion of interest.

Fred's Granddaughter Helen

Helen

It is more usual for a couple to marry in the bride's home parish. Violet may have come from Falmouth or that area, and was possibly in service or working as a nurse when she met Fred.

His battalion movements may be unrelated.

Ellen

Hi Helen

As Violet died when she was 30 yrs of age in Stepney, London and she had worked as a Domestic Servant when 14yrs of age, I would think she probably moved to the City for work. Her death cert. will give you more info. 1c,212,4th qtr 1926., Stepney . Or do you already have this info.? I note your tree is a private one, have you seen the "White" Public tree with this info? It appears that Frederick's dad, also Frederick died aged 31 yrs and Frederick became one of the Harrington famiy. Send me a PM if you want any help with your tree.

Regards Barry