Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coldstream pic

neverforget

One more.

post-95959-0-37877100-1358882501_thumb.j

Meant to say, these are lads from the 2nd battalion, in Flanders, 1914

and the corporal has what look suspiciously like campaign medals, almost unobtainable by Foot Guards between 1902 and 1914.

They may well be pip squeak and wilfred, or mutt and jeff.

Closeup, please?

This is all very enightening. I must recheck the source of the picture. Sorry to unintentionally mislead, and many thanks for the corrections. I will attempt the requested close-ups, but I`m not having much success with posting pictures. I will give it a go though, as I would like to know for sure who these lads were.

Well I`ve been trawling through Google till I`m google-eyed, and for the life of me I can`t find this picture again, and just can`t remember where I first downloaded from. I`m sure the caption was 2nd Coldstream Flanders 1914, but do not doubt for a moment the observations of our eagle eyed members. It`s great to be part of such a knowledgable band of comrades, even if I don`t quite fit the bill myself.

P.S. Couldn`t manage any close ups I`m afraid. When it opens up in my windows, any zooming in just obliterates any detail. Sorry

"I`m sure the caption was 2nd Coldstream Flanders 1914"

Thats not to say the original caption was correct. I am not sure when the guards started wearing the coloured bands on their caps but almost certainly post 1920.

As Grumpy pointed out the NCO is wearing medal ribbons so again post 1919 at the earliest.

regards

John

• 4 months later...

Hi all

I'd like to say how much I've enjoyed visiting your forum and appreciate the wealth of knowledge you have shared.

I just wondered if you can help with a photo I have, which includes Arthur Glanville WILLS Pte 11379 (later Gunner 1507 of the Machine Gun Guards). I know "Glan" was part of the Coldstream Guards since I have his service record, but the photo I have seems to conflict.

The photo is of Corpl. Charles A. ESSAM's Squad 1914, and through checking records, he was also part of the Coldstream Guards. My query is in three parts:

1. Why is the group called a "Squad"? I thought squads were for the Flying Corps?

2. Why are the men dressed differently to all other photos I've seen of the CGs? What "kit" are they wearing?

3. I am trying to determine which Battn Glan may have served with. He enlisted 2 Sep 1914 and was sent O/seas on 22 Dec 1914. This was well after the initial troops were sent in Aug. Other Battns seem to depart after this date, so I am not sure where he fits in.

I look forward to hearing from those of you with far more knowledge than my own.

Christine

post-99687-0-68936600-1370536573_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

my gut feeling is that its an older picture - but the tans they have I have only ever seen in pictures taken of men who had been overseas - Coldstream did go to east in the 1920s

you don't get a tan like that in the UK these days....

1902-1914 medals to the Coldstream for campaigns are very scarce indeed, I have a medal to one man (an officer) I think in that period attached to the Egyptian Army 1908-1912

Were third battalion not out in Egypt at Abbassiyeh Barracks at Cairo from October 1906 to March 1911 (-ish) ?

Steve.

Hi Coldstreamer and Steve

Thank you for taking the time to consider my photo and reply.

I'm assuming the date on the photo is correct, since it was incorporated on the original at production.

Glan (centre row, 3rd from left) was born in 1893, which makes him 21 at the time of the photograph, which also seems to fit. Unfortunately, I don't know the identity of any of the other recruits, apart from the Corpl. Charles A. ESSAMS mentioned on the photo, whom I assume is seated on right.

According to his service record, Arthur 'Glanville' WILLS enlisted Sept 1914 and was deployed into France in Dec 1914. I'm not sure how the boys had time to get suntans. Maybe it was a very overcast day and the photo just needs a little "brightness"? They certainly lose a lot of the tan (and the jumpers lighten) under brighter light. Do you know what colour the jersey were? I can't upload the modified photo because I have "exceeded upload limit".

Thank you again for your considerations.

Christine

Just a quick glance immediately suggested to me that this (post #9 image) is a physical training squad or something related, if you look at their postures, I think that gives it away, those guys look equally fit, and proud of it.

khaki

note the tans are only on the face and arms - so got on duty. Yes 3rd was in Egypt but medals rare

maybe the chap simply transferred in or just looks younger than he is - too many what ifs in this hobby...

Ah, I think Coldstreamer is looking at the photo in Post #1, and the rest of us are looking at the recent picture in post #9

I think C A Essams is Charles Austin Essam of Coventry and Rugby. There is a family tree on Ancestry that notes him as serving in the Coldstream Guards. He would be the man in uniform seated on the right.

The man on the left has 20 years worth of good conduct stripes on his sleeve.

Steve.

I make that five GC badges and the progression was 2, 5 , 12, 18*, 23* and 28*

* two years earlier under some strict conditions

so the soldier in question has at least 21 years good conduct service which makes it a little surprising he has not the LS&GC medal ribbon.

Also of interest he is not wearing a Guards "Trained Soldier" star, yet appears to be undertaking that role.

Every photo poses more questions than it answers.

Hi,

I think you will find the photo is a recruit squad at the Guards Depot Caterham. These are very much saught after these days

I have several exactly like this, the dress appears to be before service dress is fully issued and is nearly always in the 1914 period. In one or two a tie is worn the same as in this photo, in others no tie. But given the time and shortage of uniforms that may be the reason for the pullover order.

regards

John

Well I`ve been trawling through Google till I`m google-eyed, and for the life of me I can`t find this picture again, and just can`t remember where I first downloaded from. I`m sure the caption was 2nd Coldstream Flanders 1914, but do not doubt for a moment the observations of our eagle eyed members. It`s great to be part of such a knowledgable band of comrades, even if I don`t quite fit the bill myself.

P.S. Couldn`t manage any close ups I`m afraid. When it opens up in my windows, any zooming in just obliterates any detail. Sorry

erm

The photo (post one) can be found on this website Here

Thanks very much Raysearcher, for pointing me in the direction of that site. I`ve enjoyed my visit very much. Some great pictures. Obviously, as my great g/dad was in 2nd battalion, any chance to view any pictures is greatly appreciated. I`m grateful for your post.

• 7 years later...
On 06/06/2013 at 17:37, Whistle said:

Hi all

I'd like to say how much I've enjoyed visiting your forum and appreciate the wealth of knowledge you have shared.

I just wondered if you can help with a photo I have, which includes Arthur Glanville WILLS Pte 11379 (later Gunner 1507 of the Machine Gun Guards). I know "Glan" was part of the Coldstream Guards since I have his service record, but the photo I have seems to conflict.

The photo is of Corpl. Charles A. ESSAM's Squad 1914, and through checking records, he was also part of the Coldstream Guards. My query is in three parts:

1. Why is the group called a "Squad"? I thought squads were for the Flying Corps?

2. Why are the men dressed differently to all other photos I've seen of the CGs? What "kit" are they wearing?

3. I am trying to determine which Battn Glan may have served with. He enlisted 2 Sep 1914 and was sent O/seas on 22 Dec 1914. This was well after the initial troops were sent in Aug. Other Battns seem to depart after this date, so I am not sure where he fits in.

I look forward to hearing from those of you with far more knowledge than my own.

Christine

image.jpeg.adffbdb1fdafc542c52d1e75d5ecebdd.jpegpost-99687-0-68936600-1370536573_thumb.j

I do wish they had named all these pics

11 hours ago, Coldstreamer said:

I do wish they had named all these pics. Although it is written on the bottom of the photo I have posted this 

Corpl C.A. Essam’s Squad Oct. 1914

What I was meaning was that all are named not just the squad corporal