Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lost war memorial at Summerseat

Mark Hone

A couple of years ago i acted as a volunteer for the National inventory of War Memorials and recorded and photographed several in the Bury area. One was a beautiful illuminated scroll recording the men from a mill in the village of Summerseat with details of regiments, wounds, death etc. The scroll was prominently displayed in the entrance to the Waterside Inn which occupied part of the old mill complex. Shortly after my visit the pub unfortunately went into receivership and was eventually bought up and refurbished by a pub-restaurant chain. When I visited the newly re-opened Inn I was shocked to see that the memorial and all the other historical memorabilia that used to decorate the walls had vanished. My enquiries have revealed a sad story. The memorial and other artifacts did not belong to the pub, as I thought, but were actually on long term loan from Bury Museum and Art Gallery. They were clearly marked on the back as being the museum's property. However they have disappeared and the museum has only been able to recover a couple of large artifacts-a steam engine and weighing machine which used to decorate the bar area. The company which has taken over the premises say that they have no idea what became of the other items. The Museum director has asked me to use my contacts among World War One enthusiasts to see if this beautiful memorial can be recovered. Keep your eyes peeled!

• 2 years later...

Mark,

Has there been any progress on the recovery of these items in the mean time? I thought I'd bring the thread back up just in case anyone knows anything more now.

Andy

Andy-afraid not. I might ring the Bury Museum and Art Gallery (currently closed for renovation) for an update now that you've reminded me.