Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

[Great War] Autobiographies Anonymous

WilliamRev

Just  been told about this fantastic thread , i love first hand accounts. Just finished "Make me a Soldier" by Arthur Behrend  about a Platoon Commander in Gallipoli  a great read 

5 hours ago, NR72 said:

Just  been told about this fantastic thread , i love first hand accounts. Just finished "Make me a Soldier" by Arthur Behrend  about a Platoon Commander in Gallipoli  a great read 

His other book, ‘As from Kemmel Hill’ is even better.

Arthur Behrend also wrote an earlier book, available as a Naval & Militaty Press reprint

NINE DAYS Adventures of a Heavy Artillery Brigade of the Third Army during the German Offensive of March 21-29 1918  (originally published 1921)

https://www.naval-military-press.com/product/nine-days-adventures-of-a-heavy-artillery-brigade-of-the-third-army-during-the-german-offensive-of-march-21-29-1918/

According to the abstract, he was adjutant of the 90th Brigade of the Royal Garrison Artillery.

Cheers

Maureen

On 16/11/2019 at 03:00, Maureene said:

Arthur Behrend also wrote an earlier book, available as a Naval & Militaty Press reprint

NINE DAYS Adventures of a Heavy Artillery Brigade of the Third Army during the German Offensive of March 21-29 1918  (originally published 1921)

https://www.naval-military-press.com/product/nine-days-adventures-of-a-heavy-artillery-brigade-of-the-third-army-during-the-german-offensive-of-march-21-29-1918/

According to the abstract, he was adjutant of the 90th Brigade of the Royal Garrison Artillery.

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks Maureen ! 

I particularly like Gallipoli ones , any recommendations?

And RND but I think I've exhausted them 

4 hours ago, NR72 said:

And RND but I think I've exhausted them 

I presume you've read  On Four Fronts with the Royal Naval Division  by surgeons Geoffrey Sparrow & J. N. Macbean Ross?

sJ

Hi all,

Moving along with the diaries and memoirs of the ladies I'm reseraching, I'm now starting Kate Luard's memoirs "Unknown Warriors"  and the letters of "Happy Warrior" Betty Stevenson.

Have a good WE!!

M.

• 2 months later...
On 21/11/2019 at 23:31, seaJane said:

I presume you've read  On Four Fronts with the Royal Naval Division  by surgeons Geoffrey Sparrow & J. N. Macbean Ross?

sJ

Hi Jane yes , this is the RND List i have 

• The Royal Naval Division by Douglas Jerrold
• The Hood Bn by Leonard Sellers
• Nelson at War 1914-18 by Ray Swales
• Gallipoli 1915 by Joseph Murray
• The Mudhook by A C Mott
• Khaki Jack by E C Coleman
• Path of Duty by Frederick Cornelius
• Call to Arms by Joseph Murray
• On Four Fronts by Sparrow and Ross
• From Ypres to Cambrai by Frank Hawkins
• Warrior and Prisoner of War - Antwerp to Doeberitz 1914-1918 by N Norman Sheffield Pugh
• At Antwerp and The Dardanelles by Rev HC Foster
• Georgian Adventure by Douglas Jerrold
• A Quiet life of a Marine in the Great War by Pat Francis
• A dear and noble boy of Louis Stokes
• The Hawke Bn by Douglas Jerrold
• At Antwerp and the Dardanelles by Rev HC Foster
• Command in the Royal Naval division by Chris Page
• The Exceution of Edwin Dyett by Len Sellers
• letters and Remembrances of Sub Lt Arthur Tisdall
• Sea Power Ashore 200 years of Royal Navy Operations on land
• With the Hoods by Charles Lister
• History of the Medical Unit of the RND by Arhur Gaskell

25 minutes ago, NR72 said:

Hi Jane yes , this is the RND List i have 

That's really useful, thanks! I know a chaplain RN who will be interested in At Antwerp and The Dardanelles by Rev HC Foster (which appears twice on the above list, by the way).

sJ

20 hours ago, seaJane said:

That's really useful, thanks! I know a chaplain RN who will be interested in At Antwerp and The Dardanelles by Rev HC Foster (which appears twice on the above list, by the way).

sJ

No Problem , some are hard to get hold of especially the one youve mentioned ! I need it as well 

There's a copy on eBay for only £350.

2 hours ago, keithmroberts said:

There's a copy on eBay for only £350.

KR- a gross misrepresentation.   Very unfair on that vendor to say it is "only" £350 when ,actually, it is not.   There is postage on top as well.:wub:

:hypocrite:

My apologies.

Edited by keithmroberts

Tom Donovan has a copy in better condition for £125 . Paid about £100 for my copy , but it is a very rare book (possibly because it was published by

Mills & Boon who are better known for their romantic fiction than war books )

p.s a couple more R.N.D books .. 'The diaries of Horace Bruckshaw' and 'A Marine at Gallipoli and on the Western Front ' ( both 2nd R.M.L.I )

Edited by Black Maria

16 hours ago, Black Maria said:

Tom Donovan has a copy in better condition for £125 . Paid about £100 for my copy , but it is a very rare book (possibly because it was published by

Mills & Boon who are better known for their romantic fiction than war books )

p.s a couple more R.N.D books .. 'The diaries of Horace Bruckshaw' and 'A Marine at Gallipoli and on the Western Front ' ( both 2nd R.M.L.I )

Is Tom Donavon on ebay?  , thanks for the heads up on the other RND books , appreciate it

It's my copy on eBay and, as mentioned in the listing, is only the third I have seen in twenty years. I kept one and sold the other (not ex-Library) for more than the current listing.

Strangely enough, the last time I was in the Post Office and asked to send a book for nothing i was given short shrift.

• 1 year later...
On 05/01/2019 at 13:23, Black Maria said:

A fantastic memoir that I have just finished reading is ' Where they kill Captains : memories of war 1914-19 ' by Douglas H. Butler .

He joined up as a seventeen year old in the 1/4th Gloucestershire Regiment and later became a subaltern in the same battalion ,

seeing action at places such as Passchendaele ( the place where they kill captains) and on the Italian front . He wrote up his memoirs

over a five year period and finished it shortly before his death in 1978 . The book is newly published in paperback by Pegasus .

Thanks for the recommendation, have just bagged a copy.

Martin

Edited by MartyG

5 hours ago, MartyG said:

Thanks for the recommendation, have just bagged a copy.

Martin

You're welcome , i know all these things are subjective but i hope you enjoy reading it .

Oh goodie, we've resuscitated this post... got some nice diaries lined up ... The diaries of Thomasina Atkins, The Weary road... 

M.

15 hours ago, Black Maria said:

You're welcome , i know all these things are subjective but i hope you enjoy reading it .

I’m sure I will.