Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

[Great War] Autobiographies Anonymous

WilliamRev

An old library copy of 'Diary of a Dead Officer', has arrived in the post today after seeing you mention it above. Even more exciting to me, on the 'Want List' for ever, 'The Winding Road Unfolds' 1937 edition was purchased off ABE today at a reasonable price! The copies that have been on there for years at £300+ are way out of my range.

I saw that earlier today. Quite a bargain, glad it went to a good home. You'll enjoy it, it's a fine book.

An old library copy of 'Diary of a Dead Officer', has arrived in the post today after seeing you mention it above. Even more exciting to me, on the 'Want List' for ever, 'The Winding Road Unfolds' 1937 edition was purchased off ABE today at a reasonable price! The copies that have been on there for years at £300+ are way out of my range.

Congratulations, it's a great feeling when you find that elusive memoir and at a reasonable price. I'm surprised it has not been reprinted since 1965, it's one of my favourites.

I have just finished reading "Nothing of Importance, a Record of Eight Months at the Front with a Welsh Battalion" by Bernard Adams. Someone, either on this thread or another on the forum, recommended it saying that it was his favourite WW1 memoir. Adams survived his eight months (Oct 1915 to June 1916 at the Somme), and was recovering from a bullet through his left arm when he wrote it back in Kent, listening to the soft rumble of guns on the wind from over the channel. Going back out to France in January 1917, he was fatally wounded on Feb 26th.

The book is poignant on that account, and, written and published whilst the war was still being waged, is blissfully free from the dull hindsight that makes some authors of memoirs written a decade or more after the war, start to sound like pub-bores with their well-worn rants about futility and Haig's butchery. It is genuinely well-written, and he often has a witty turn of phrase which makes one smile - whilst transporting the battalion by train: "the men were in those useful adaptable carriages inscribed 'Chevaux 10. Hommes 30.' Our Tommies were evidently a kind of centaur class, for they went in by twenties". He was a quiet, clever man, and this book leads one to think that he may have become a great writer, or great at something, had he survived the war.

At £10.47 for a 308 page paperback, on Amazon (Here), it isn't particularly cheap, but it is a wonderful book.

William

I've just finished reading this, and I'd agree with everything that William has said.

I think that it's the first autobiography that I've read that was written during the war by someone who didn't survive the war. It's all the more special because of that, as I had to keep reminding myself that the book was written during the war and that he didn't survive it.

I found the last chapter ("Conclusion") quite hard to read knowing this. It's quite different to much of the rest of the book, and I wonder whether his feelings whilst writing the book affected what happened to him after he went back to the Front? Not knowing how he died, I don't know whether this is true, but I think that, for me, it's an unanswered question.

I'd fully recommend it to anyone.

It was good to see Bernard Adams featuring prominently in the recent BBC program 'War of Words. Soldier Poets of the Somme'. Hopefully now he'll start to get the recognition he deserves - maybe even a reprint of this fine book.

"The winding road unfolds" very well written and one of the best reads [in my very humble opinion} along with "Those we loved" by Read oh and "Salute of Guns" by Boyd,

My book of letters arrived today {cameron officer} just awaiting the very scarce Australian nursing memoir.

It was good to see Bernard Adams featuring prominently in the recent BBC program 'War of Words. Soldier Poets of the Somme'. Hopefully now he'll start to get the recognition he deserves - maybe even a reprint of this fine book.

Naval & Military Press are offering their 2001 reprint at £5.99 paperback, plus postage. They'll supply it in hardback for an additional £34.

Congratulations, it's a great feeling when you find that elusive memoir and at a reasonable price. I'm surprised it has not been reprinted since 1965, it's one of my favourites.

Re 'The Winding Road Unfolds' I've got a 1972 reprint, under the title 'Rage of Battle' from Tandem. A quick look at ABE Books shows this version as more common and a bit cheaper than the original title.

Re 'The Winding Road Unfolds' I've got a 1972 reprint, under the title 'Rage of Battle' from Tandem. A quick look at ABE Books shows this version as more common and a bit cheaper than the original title.

Very interesting, I never realised they re-issued it under a different title and like you say it's quite a lot cheaper than the 1965 reprint .

It's an interesting one. I can't, off the top of my head, think of any other memoir reprinted under a different title. Tandem seem to have chosen a more gritty title, and the cover illustration is Commando crossed with Charley's War, which they presumably hoped would make for better sales.

It's an interesting one. I can't, off the top of my head, think of any other memoir reprinted under a different title. Tandem seem to have chosen a more gritty title, and the cover illustration is Commando crossed with Charley's War, which they presumably hoped would make for better sales.

I notice that Pen & Sword have started to reprint memoirs under different titles e.g. 'In Battle & captivity' is a reprint of ' Englishman Kamerad !' by Gilbert Nobbs (1918),

which was published in the U.S under the title ' On the Right of the British Line', all very confusing :wacko:

We shall have to keep our wits about us!

Derek the book is titled "On Active Service letters of the late Captain W S B Wilson of the 6th Cameronians " no date /place of printing consisting of his letters 1917-1918

Thanks for that,

I'm always on the look out for Scottish regiment memoirs to add to the list, even when unlikely ever to be affordable!

Cheers,
Derek.

I have just acquired a signed first edition with dust cover of 'Long 'un: A Damn Bad Soldier' by Bernard Livermore from Abebooks for just £13 inc P&P havn't read it yet but will post a comment once I have.

If you are interested in checking out the German side of the trenches, I recently published a book "Imperial Germany's 'Iron Regiment' of the First World War." A large portion of the book is based on first person accounts. I recently posted additional information in the book page. I see your post has generated some great suggestions and a number of books I would be interested in as well.

Regards, John Rieth

I have been working my way through 'The Airman's Bookshelf' from the John Hamilton series. All the foreign accounts are translated by Claud W Sykes. Does anyone know anything about this chap? Was he an airman himself? All the books are easy reads and have a similar 'feel' to them. Is this down to Sykes's interpretation style, or did all airman talk like this? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

• 1 year later...

I also love reading first-person memoirs. I consolidated all the above titles into a single list so I can mark off ones that I've read and chase down the others. In case it's of use to anyone else, here's the list.............

Adams, John Bernard Pye - Nothing of Importance

Aitken, Alexander Craig - Gallipoli to the Somme: Recollections of a New Zealand Infantryman

Andrews, William Linton - Haunting Years

Arnold, Charles - From Mons to Messines and Beyond : The Great War Experiences of Sgt C.Arnold

Ashurst, George - My Bit: A Lancashire Fusilier at War 1914-18

Bairnsfather, Bruce - Bullets & Billets

Barton, E.C. - Let the Boy Win His Spurs

Bartram, Capt. H.B. - Diary of the Retirement from Mons August 1914

Baynes, John & Maclean, Hugh - A Tale of Two Captains (Barnes and Brotherton)

Beaumont, Harry Walter - Old Contemptible: A Personal Narrative

Begg, R. Campbell - Surgery on Trestles

Behrend, Arthur - As From Kemmel Hill

Behrend, Arthur - Make me a Soldier: A Platoon Commander at Gallipoli

Bickersteth, John - The Bickersteth Diaries 1914-19

Bird, Will - Ghosts Have Warm Hands

Black, E.G. - I Want One Volunteer

Bluett , Antony - A Gunner's Crusade: The Campaign in the Desert, Palestine & Syria

Blundon, Edmund - Undertones of War

Boyd, Donald - Salute of Guns

Bruckshaw, Horace (ed. M.Middlebrook) - The Diaries of Horace Bruckshaw 1915-1916

Burder, Rev. C. V. - Hell on Earth

Burgoyne, Gerald Achilles - The Burgoyne Diaries

Burns, Robert - Once a Cameron Highlander, Recollections of a First World War Veteran

Byrne, Charlie (ed. Joy Cave) - I Survived Didn't I? Great War Reminiscences of Pte Ginger Byrne

Campbell, Paul J. - In the Cannon's mouth

Campbell, Paul J. - The Ebb and Flow of Battle

Cannan, May Wedderburn - Grey Ghosts and Voices

Carpenter, Alfred - Blocking of Zeebrugge

Carr, William - Time to Leave the Ploughshares: A Gunner Remember

Carrington, Charles - Soldier from the War Returning

Carrington, Charles (alias Charles Edmonds) - A Subaltern's War

Carstairs, Carroll - A Generation Missing

Chapman, Guy - A Passionate Prodigality

Clapham, Henry S. - Mud and Khaki

Clayton, C.P. - The Hungry One

Cliff, Norman D. - To Hell and Back with the Guards

Collins, Norman - Last Man Standing

Congreve, Billy (ed. Terry Norman) - Armageddon Road: A VC's Diary

Cooper, Matthew - Memoirs of an Infantry Officer (expanded version of 'We Who Knew')

Cooper, Matthew - We Who Knew: The Journal of an Infantry Subaltern during the Great War

Copp, Michael (ed) - From Emmanuel to the Somme, The War Writings of A.E. Tomlinson

Coppard, George - With a machine gun to Cambrai

Craster, J.M. - Fifteen Rounds a Minute: The Grenadiers at War

Crozier, Frank - A Brasshat in No Man's Land

Cuddeford, D.W.J. - And All For What?

Cusack, John & Herbert, Ivor - Scarlet Fever : A Lifetime with Horses

Daerden, Harold - Medicine and Duty

Dalton, Hugh - With the British Guns in Italy

Davson, Lt. Col. H.M. - Memoirs of the Great War

Dennis, Gerald - A Kitchener Man's Bit In the Great War

Desagneaux, Henri - A French Soldier's War Diary 1914-1918

Doudney, Charles E. - The Best of Good Fellows: Diaries and Memoirs of The Rev C.E.D. 1871-1915

Douie, Charles - The Weary Road

Downing, Walter - To The Last Ridge

Duffell, W.J. (ed. Gilbert Mant) - Soldier Boy: Letters and memoir of Gunner W.J Duffell 1915-18

Dunham, Frank - The Long Carry

Dunn, Capt. J.C. - The War the Infantry Knew

Eberle, V.F. - My Sapper Venture

Edmunds, Charles (see Carrington, Charles)

Ellison, Norman - Remembrances of Hell

Empson, C.C. - Empson's War: A Collection of Letters

Eyre, Giles E.M. - Somme Harvest: Memories of a P.B.I. in the Summer of 1916

Feilding, Rowland - War Letters to a Wife

Fraser, Donald - Journal of Private Fraser

Fraser, William - In Good Company: WW1 Diary of Hon William Fraser, Gordon Highlanders,

Fraser-Tytler , Neil - Field Guns in France

French, A. - Gone for a Soldier

Gaunt, F. - The Immortal First

Gibbs, A. Hamilton - Gun Fodder: The Diary of Four Years of War

Giffard, Sydney - Guns, Kites and Horses: Three Diaries from the Western Front

Gladden, Edgar Norman - The Somme

Gladden, Edgar Norman - Ypres 1917

Gladden, Norman - Across The Piave

Gladden, Norman - The Somme

Glubb, John - Into Battle

Goodsall, Robert - Palestine Memories 1917-1918-1925

Gordon, Huntly - The Unreturning Army

Graves, Robert - Goodbye to All That

Greenwell, Graham - An Infant in Arms

Griffith, Llewelyn Wyn - Up to Mametz (And Beyond)

Grimshaw, Roly - Indian Cavalry Officer 1914-1915

Groom, W.H.A - Poor Bloody Infantry: Memoir of the First World War

Guinness, Walter - Staff Officer, The Diaries of Lord Moyne 1914-18

Hale, Alfred Matthew - The Ordeal of Alfred M. Hale : The Memoirs of a Soldier Servant

Hall, Gilbert (ed. Turner & Haigh) - Not for Glory: A Personal History of the 14-18 War

Hamilton, Charles S.P. - East, West: An Irish Doctor's Memories

Hamilton, Ralph - War Diary Of The Master Of Belhaven 1914-1918

Hanbury-Sparrow, Arthur Alan - The Land-Locked Lake

Hawkins, Frank - From Ypres to Cambrai

Haworth, C. - March to Armistice 1918

Herbert, Ivor (see Cusack, John)

Hiscock, Eric - The Bells of Hell go Ting a Ling a Ling

Hitchcock, Capt. F.C. - Stand To! A Diary Of The Trenches 1915-1918

Holme, Archibald - The Diary of a World War One Cavalry Officer

Hope, Thomas Suthren - The Winding Road Unfolds

Howcroft, Gilbert Burdett - The First World War 1914-18 Remembered by a Yorkshire Territorial

Hulse, Edward - Letters Written From The English Front In France September 1914 To March 1915

Husbands, Geoffrey Ratcliff - Joffrey's War: A Sherwood Forester in the Great War

Ingram, Monty - In Flanders Fields : The WW1 diary of Private M. Ingram

Jack, J.L. (ed. John Terraine) - General Jack's Diaries 1914-1918

Jackson, John - Private 12768

Joynt, William D. - Saving the Channel Ports 1918

Junger, Ernst - Storm of Steel

Lambert, Arthur - Over The Top

Law, Francis - A Man at Arms, Memoirs of Two World Wars

Lawrence, Brian - Letters from the Front: Great War correspondence of Lt. B. Lawrence 1916-17

Lawrence, Cyril (ed. Peter Yule) - Sergeant Lawrence Goes To France

Lawrence, Cyril (ed. R. East) - The Gallipoli Diary of Sergeant Lawrence

Lawson, Henry - Recollections of an Infantry Subaltern in France & Belgium 1917-18

Livermore, Bernard - Long Un: A Damn Bad Soldier

Long, Bernard (ed. V.A. Hawgood) - The 1WW Letters of 2nd Lt Bernard Wilfred Long 1896-1917

Lucy, John F. - There's a Devil in the Drum

Lushington, Frank (alias Mark Severn) - The Gambardier

Lynch, Edward P.F. - Somme Mud

Mackie, John H.F. - Answering The Call: Letters From 2/4Th Bn. Somerset Light Infantry 1914-1919

Maclean, Hugh (see Baynes, John)

Macleod, Col. R. - An Artillery Officer in the First World War

Malthus, Cecil - ANZAC: a retrospective

Manning, Frederic - Her Privates We / The Middle Parts of Fortune

Marks, Thomas Penrose - The Laughter Goes from Life: In the Trenches of the First World War

Martin, Bernard - Poor Bloody Infantry

Maxwell, R.M. - Villiers-Stuart Goes To War

May, E. - Signal Corporal, The Story of the 2nd London Irish Rifles

Maze, Paul - A Frenchman in Khaki

McGill, Patrick - Red Horizon

McGill, Patrick - The Great Push

Mellersh, Howard Edward Leslie - Schoolboy Into War

Moberly , Gertrude - Experiences of a "Dinki Di" R.R.C. Nurse

Nash, Thomas Anthony Havelock - The Diary of an Unprofessional Soldier

Nettleton, John - The Anger of the Guns

Nevill, Wilfred (ed. Ruth Elwin Harris) - Billie, the Nevill Letters 1914-16

Newton, Walt - The Soul of The Camp

Nichols, G.H.F. - Pushed and the Return Push (by 'Quex')

Noakes, Frederick - The Distant Drum

Nobbs, Gilbert - On the Right of the British Line

Nott, Lewis - Somewhere in France : The Collected Letters of Lewis Windermere Nott

Ogle, Henry (ed. Michael Glover) - The Fateful Battle Line: Great War Journal & Sketches

Page Croft, Henry - Twenty Two Months Under Fire

Paish, Frank Walter - War as a Temporary Occupation: First World War Memoirs of a 2nd Lt

Parker, Ernest - Into Battle: A Seventeen Year Old Joins Kitchener's Army

Parker, George - The Tale of a Boy Soldier

Pinkerton, Douglas - Ladies from Hell

Plowman, Maz - A Subaltern on the Somme

Portway, Donald - Memoirs of an Academic Old Contemptible

Probert, Ynyr - Memoirs of an Artillery Officer 1915-1918

Ravenscroft, P.D. (ed. Antony Bird) - Unversed in Arms: The First World War Diary of P.D Ravenscroft

Read, Dick - Of Those We Loved: A Narrative 1914-1919

Reith, John - Wearing Spurs

Richards, Frank - Old Soldiers Never Die

Rogerson, Sidney - Last of the Ebb

Rogerson, Sidney - Twelve Days on the Somme

Rose, C.A. - Three Years in France with the Guns

Roynon, Gavin - Massacre of the Innocents: The Crofton Diaries, Ypres 1914-1915

Russell, Arthur - Machine Gunner

Russell, Henry - Slaves of the War Lords

Sassoon, Siegfried - Memoirs of an Infantry Officer

Seely, Gen. Jack - Warrior - The Amazing Story of a Real War Horse

Seton-Hutchison, Graham - Footslogger

Seton-Hutchison, Graham - Warrior

Severn, Mark (see Lushington, Frank)

Shephard, Ernest - A Sergeant - Major's War, from Hill 60 to the Somme

Siepmann, Harry - Echo of the Guns: Recollections of an Artillery Officer 1914-18

Slack, Cecil M. - Grandfather's Adventures in the Great War

Slater, Guy (ed.) - My Warrior Sons : The Borton Family Diary 1914-18

Smith, Aubrey - Four Years on the Western Front (by 'A Rifleman')

Smith, K.P. - Adventures of an Ancient Warrior

Smith, Len - Drawing Fire

Spears, Edward Louis - The Picnic Basket

Spicer, L.D. (ed? Robert York) Letters from France

Steel, John Philip - A Memoir of Lt.-Col. Edward Anthony Steel

Stewart, Cameron - An Unimportant Officer

Stockwin, Arthur - Thirty-Odd Feet Below Belgium

Stokes, Louis (ed. Barlow & Bowen) - A Dear and Noble Boy: Life and letters of L.S. 1897-1916

Stone, Christopher (ed. John Terraine) - From Vimy Ridge to the Somme, The Great War letters of...

Stormont Gibbs, Charles Cobden - From Somme to Armistice: Memoirs of Capt Stormont-Gibbs

Sulzbach, Herbert - With the German Guns: Four years on the Western Front

Talbot Kelly, R.B. - A Subaltern's Odyssey: Memoirs of the Great War, 1915-1917

Taylor, F.A.J. ('Tanky') - The Bottom of the Barrel

Tennant, Norman - A Saturday Night Soldiers War

Thomas, Alan - A Life Apart

Tilsley, William V. - Other Ranks

Tilton, May - The Grey Battalion

Trafford, Peter - Love & War: A London Terrier's Tale 1915-16

Tucker, John F. - Johnny Get Your Gun

Tucker, William Albert - The Lousier War

Turner, Frank - Turner's War

Tyndale-Biscoe, Julian - Gunner Subalteran 1914-1918

Underhill, Edward Samuel - A Year on the Western Front

Vanier, George (ed. D. Cowley) - Soldier: The Wartime Letters and Diaries, 1915-1919

Vaughan, Edwin Campion - Some Desperate Glory

Walkinton, M.L. - Twice in a Lifetime

Ward, James E. - Messages From The Trench, Diaries of L/Cpl J.E Ward Apr-Aug 1915

Warren, Frank (ed. Antony Bird) - Honour Satisfied: A Dorset Rifleman at War

Watson, W.H.L. - Adventures of a Despatch Rider

Westman, Stephan Kurt - A Surgeon with the Kaiser's Army

Wheatley, Dennis - Officer and Temporary Gentleman

White, Lt. A.P. - No Easy Hopes or Lies, WW1 Letters of Lt A.P White

Wilson, Robert Adams - A Two Years Interlude France 1916-1918

Wolff, Anne (ed) - Subalterns of the Foot, Three WW1 Diaries of Officers of the Cheshire Regt

Young, D. - Try Anything Twice

You've been busy! One you might want to add - Deneys Reitz 'Trekking On'.

Simon

That is a fantastic list, and at least half of the titles are new to me. I'd be fascinated to hear of any which haven't been mentioned on this thread, which you particularly recommend and which were written during, or immediately after, the war.

[Works written a decade or more after the war sometimes tend to belong to the so-called Literature of Disenchantment, influenced by new and often negative interpretations of war, as a second World War seemed increasingly likely, and they become didactic and less reliable as primary sources.]

William

Simon

That is a fantastic list, and at least half of the titles are new to me. I'd be fascinated to hear of any which haven't been mentioned on this thread, which you particularly recommend and which were written during, or immediately after, the war.

[Works written a decade or more after the war sometimes tend to belong to the so-called Literature of Disenchantment, influenced by new and often negative interpretations of war, as a second World War seemed increasingly likely, and they become didactic and less reliable as primary sources.]

William

Sorry, WilliamRev, that's not a list of books that I've read. All I did was take all the books that people had already listed in this topic (i.e. in earlier posts), and consolidate them into a single list. I've only read maybe 20-30 of them myself (so far!)

I'm currently reading "Through Hell to Victory" by R A Colwill which doesn't appear on the list but just gets under your 10 year wire being published in 1927. It charts the 2nd Battalion of the Devons from 1917 to 1918.

David

Sorry, WilliamRev, that's not a list of books that I've read. All I did was take all the books that people had already listed in this topic (i.e. in earlier posts), and consolidate them into a single list. I've only read maybe 20-30 of them myself (so far!)

It's still very interesting, and gives me titles ot investigate.

I was perhaps a little pompous and simplistic in declaring my ten year rule. But with later memoirs, one has to be careful: for example, in the otherwise excellent "With a Machine Gun to Cambrai" by George Coppard, the author occasionally lapses into little rants about generals etc. which strike a different note from that found in contemporary literature, and reveal that the book was written in the 1960s.

William

You've been busy! One you might want to add - Deneys Reitz 'Trekking On'.

This is a book that I have found excellent, covering as it does the 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers in the final few weeks of the war. There are several passages that refer to my grandfather (he took over command of 'D' Coy. after its commander had been gassed, until he himself temporarily lost his eyesight from gas a couple of days later - he was in Nettley Hospital for the next seven months), although alas he doesn't get mentioned by name.

William

charlie962,

Thanks for coming up with that link. It really is an intriguing story. Why all the cloak and dagger? Great research though.

Cheers

Grant