Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

WilliamRev

[Great War] Autobiographies Anonymous

WilliamRev

I started this thread in Jan 2013, and i am so glad that it has a life of its own and trundles on intermittently. It was the nearest I got to starting a 'Classic Thread' (remember those?). I added dozens of memoirs and autobiographies to my bookshelves following recommendations in this thread - I am currently reading Sapper Martin, the diary of Sapper Jack Martin, edited by Richard van Emden. It was written day by day during the war by a highly articulate and intelligent man, and contains loads of new and interesting details.

William

hazelclark

Thank you so much for continuing this thread.

H.C.

Marilyne
15 hours ago, WilliamRev said:

- I am currently reading Sapper Martin, the diary of Sapper Jack Martin, edited by Richard van Emden. It was written day by day during the war by a highly articulate and intelligent man, and contains loads of new and interesting details.

William

Talk about having issues... reading your post I turned around to my sorry excuse for a WWI-book shelve (I know, need a bigger one, but for that I first need a bigger house...) , located said book on the shelve and came to the horrible realisation that there are no post-its sticking out, only the very empty notebook page I use as page marker and then return to by bibliography with comments... and the title is not even listed in my bibliography... euh... oh-kaaayyyyyy... when the heck did I buy this?? or received.??? well... on the pile it goes... 

M.

WilliamRev

I have just finished reading 'War Letters to a Wife, France and Flanders 1915-1919' by Rowland Fielding (London: The Medici Society, 1929). Fielding began the war as a company commander with 3rd and then 1st Coldstream Guards, becoming battalion commander of 6th Connaught Rangers, 16th (South Irish) Division, in early September 1916. He ended the war commanding the 1/15th London Regiment, Prince of Wales Own Civil Service Rifles (47th Division).

The great value of this memoir lies in the fact that it was written within the few days of the events it describes, and then posted to his wife in the form of a series of letters. After the war he edited it for publication, adding place names and other details that he was unable to put into the original letters for security reasons.There are vivid accounts of the Battle of Loos, the Battle of the Somme (and from his limited perspective as a spectator he describes 1 July 1916 as 'a wonderful day'). He gives a lengthy account of the panicky retreat on the Somme in the German Spring Offensive of 1918, and then in the final 100 Days successfully retaking the same territory.

This is one of the best First World War memoirs that I have come across, packed with interesting details: the edition I bought is HERE but click around on Amazon for paperback editions, second-hand copies and a kindle version (make sure that you always use the Forum money-raising link whenever you buy anything on Amazon, of course).

William

Edited by WilliamRev

Marilyne

Hi all,

Considering that I'm working on my project on women who died on the Western Front right now, these being mainly nurses, I've added a few diaries and auto biographies of nurses on my reading list: Ruth COWEN's "A Nurse on the Western Front", being the diaries of Sister Edith Appleton; VAD Olive Dent's memoirs and Dorothea's Crewdson's "Dorothea's War": the story of a First World War nurse. 

Got my work cut out for me... 

M.

Maureene
4 hours ago, Marilyne said:

I've added a few diaries and auto biographies of nurses on my reading list:

If you want  to read any additional autobiographies by nurses, there are a number online, see my previous post "Online books-accounts by nurses etc"

Cheers

Maureen

Marilyne

Thanks Maureen !!!!!