Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GHQ BEF Documents published under the CDS Reference

green_acorn

G'day,

I have been working on a complete, as possible, list of WW1 documents published by the Army Printing and Stationery Service supporting GHQ BEF. After exploiting the AP&SS catalogue, the IWM's list, searches of the AWM, National Archives of Australia and the National and State Libraries of Australia, Trove and my own Google searches. I have now hit the temporary runners wall and its time to start sharing my work. (see attached).

CDS List Pt1 for GWF Jan 2013.pdf Note since my original post I have had to split the file into two parts, this is part one which is CDS1 to CDS 98.

Clearly there are gaps and I am following them up as I can. If any Pals can assist me with either details of the missing or known public locations etcetera I would be very grateful, as I am sure others will be, as I replace the attached list with updated versions. I would particularly like to note, and thank, the assistance of Chris Henschke and John Armytys of the Yahoo Group "Military Manual Collectors".

Cheers,

Hendo

PS: if you have one of the missing or not in public domain documents how about scanning and sharing? I can provide a way to have it/them posted on a website that will keep them up for posterity.

Hendo,

I note there have been ten downloads at the time of writing but no acknowledgements! There is obviously a great deal of patient work that has gone into this. Thanks very much. Most grateful

I clearly need to rationalise the cataloguing of my own modest collection of about 200+ publications that might be thought of as 'manuals' or 'instructional' rather than authored textbooks. Of the 200+ some are pre-war and some post WW1 but clearly enshrining thinking at the end of the war. I started concentrating on SS numbers and rather ignored CDS numbers through ignorance. I am afraid that I am not in a position at the moment, with other demands on time, to see if I have appropriate material not on your own CDS list. Hopefully it is something I can look at later in the spring (Northern Hemisphere version, that is) and update my own catalogue,

Ian

G'day,

I have been working on a complete, as possible, list of WW1 documents published by the Army Printing and Stationery Service supporting GHQ BEF. After exploiting the AP&SS catalogue, the IWM's list, searches of the AWM, National Archives of Australia and the National and State Libraries of Australia, Trove and my own Google searches. I have now hit the temporary runners wall and its time to start sharing my work. (see attached).

Clearly there are gaps and I am following them up as I can. If any Pals can assist me with either details of the missing or known public locations etcetera I would be very grateful, as I am sure others will be, as I replace the attached list with updated versions. I would particularly like to note, and thank, the assistance of Chris Henschke and John Armytys of the Yahoo Group "Military Manual Collectors".

Cheers,

Hendo

PS: if you have one of the missing or not in public domain documents how about scanning and sharing? I can provide a way to have it/them posted on a website that will keep them up for posterity.

Thanks for sharing this. have no idea what to do with it at this stage but am sure will find something. sorry, as I am new to this I don't thin I have anything to add.

Hazel C

Gosh, since I replied to this thread the downloads have gone from from ten to twenty-one in an hour (although two are mine as I accidentally closed the document before saving it!

Ian

Hendo,

Thanks for posting the list.

For the uninitiated, could you or Ian explain the difference between the CDS and SS prefixes. I was looking at some of your gaps and picked on CDS 344 "The abolition of flies in camps, billets and hospitals". One of the results was to a document at IWM referenced as SS 344 which appears to be a composite document that includes it.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/publication/117619

Have I just answered my own question in thinking that in this context SS stands for Sanitary Section, or is it Stationery Service?

Phil

Phil,

1st Printing Company, Royal Engineers formed the foundation of what was later known as the Army Printing and Stationery Service. Whilst it operated as 1 Printing Coy its Central Distribution Section was responsible for registering all product submitted for printing, hence the CDS prefix. Once the AP&SS was formed the responsible element/office started using the prefix "SS" (most likely for "Stationery Service") for product submitted for printing. But​ the CDS prefix remained for some printed product throughout the war for example the Field Almanacs.

Note also that the AP&SS was a specific to BEF organisation, each Expeditionary Force arranged its own printing of Theatre/Force specific publications.

In due course I will publish my list of SS documents on a similar thread, I am cross referencing it (and my CDS list) with the new IWM database and fixing up some of the titles in bold.

Cheers,

from sunny and warm Oz,

Hendo

Hendo,

Thank you for the explanation and for the work you have obviously put into the research.

Phil ( from a dull and damp SE London)

Phil,

I will be replacing the list shortly as the link you gave me pointed me to the IWM's new database. No changes as such, just a few very minor additions. In fact this list is more than what I found on their database. The overwhelming majority of CDS and SS documents don't appear in a search of C.D.S. or CDS and S.S. The database search certainly doesn't match the printed list they charge me GBP 50 for two or three years ago.

Hendo,

I'm not that familiar with the new IWM database, or its workings (NA Catalogue is my normal territory) and I found that document by Googling its full title.

Can you believe that for the last 12 years I've lived within 5 miles of the IWM and never visited, let alone used their archive facilities.

Phil

Phil,

Before I got onto the CDS and SS bus, after a well known and militarily experienced member here commented that he didn't think training was such a big thing in WW1, one of the things I travelled a few thousand kilometres for was to find a copy of a pre-WW1 publication and fill out the printed copying request at the IWM. Coming from Oz the IWM processes in 2005 were so antiquated and bureaucratic, carbon copy forms in triplicate, cost not determined until printed. The new IWM database is a great leap forward, but still a bit clunky.

Cheers,

Hendo

This is part two of the list documents CDS 300 to 388. Note I have found no record of documents registered as CDS 99 to CDS 300. CDS List Pt 2 for GWF Jan 2013.pdf

Cheers,

Hendo

PS: If you do use these lists academically or publicly I would like to be acknowledged, it has taken a few months of work.

This is part two of the list documents CDS 300 to 388. Note I have found no record of documents registered as CDS 99 to CDS 300. CDS List Pt 2 for GWF Jan 2013.pdf

Cheers,

Hendo

PS: If you do use these lists academically or publicly I would like to be acknowledged, it has taken a few months of work.

Definitely - but we might need a full name to meet referencing standards

Ian

Edit: Got it from the document. Thanks

Edit: ... and thanks again.

Edited by Ian Riley

Hi Hendo,

Many thanks for these excellent lists. A wonderful contribution to the forum. Hope to see you when you are next down this way.

Best wishes

Chris

After a marathon overnight session I have just finished exploiting the Worldcat library database and have found a few additions to the CDS list but more importantly have tidied up my SS list.

For the time being I am going to leave the posted CDS list as is, in order to get feedback and any additions from Pals. I will spend a few hours formatting the SS list which is 600 of the 1100 documents, in coparison to the 150 of 400 CDS ones. I will post the SS lists over the coming days.

I would be particularly keen to hear from anyone who could access the Defence Academy UK library system for me. I appreciate their library system is not open to the general public, but they may be able to fill in the many gaps for me.

Cheers,

Hendo

CDS 333

A Study of the Attack in the Present Phase of War: Impressions and Reflections of a Company Commander (Translation of the French "Laffargue" Manual) - Issued December 1915

I have a copy of Impressions and Reflections of a French Company Commander regarding the Attack ( it was published in French by Capt Laffargue 153rd Inf Regt ) and English 1916

• 3 weeks later...

Very helpful, thank you!

What is the difference between CDS 2 and CDS 3? Which one is this? https://plus.google.com/photos/110169237000562683075/albums/5596620214371948705?banner=pwa&sqi&sqsi

Also, CDS 1 says that it contains info from Notes from the Front volumes 1 and 2. Is that reference to CDS 2 and CDS 3? In the Lahore Division War Diary there is a document called "Tactical notes for the information of troops arriving in the theatre of operations" that contains the same images that are in CDS 1. Does anyone know how this document is related to CDS 1-3?

Thanks for the help and thanks again for the info!

- Bodie

Bodie,

First the document link you posted is a War Office publication, not one published by and printed for GHQ BEF, so it is not a CDS document. However it is a reprint of CDS 2, reproduced to more widely disseminate to officers and troops training across the British Empire the experiences of the war at that point.

CDS 1 does not have the same content as CDS 2 or CDS 3, though it does have some "Notes from the Front". A lot was going on and they were learning a lot disseminating the information under the title "Notes from the Front" was there way of getting it out quickly and widely.

Difference between CDS 2 and CDS 3, see above.

The Lahore Division War Diary - many units reprinted, amended/precised and retitled higher headquarters documents to get information out quickly to their officers and troops, your "Tactical notes for the information of troops arriving in the theatre of operations" may well be a straight reprint of CDS 1.

Cheers,

Hendo

• 1 year later...

Just downloaded the lists which have answered a particular question I was trying to answer - very useful thank you.

Simon

• 1 year later...

Hendo,

Apologies for this query coming so long after you started this thread (and thank you for the downloads), but could you advise if there are similar - but later - documents published in 1918 or 1919? SS/CDS 157, which does not appear in your first list, was published in May 1917 and is the Report on the Overseas Artillery School, Salisbury Plain for November 1916 - March 1917). I'm wondering if there was a subsequent report in the series for the following year (or two years) and, if so, where I might find it/them?

Brian

Brian,

I have not found any yet. But there is "G.H.Q. artillery circular; no. 7. Notes on shooting : compiled from the results of trials at the overseas artillery school - Issued 1917"

Cheers,

Hendo

Thank you, Hendo, that sounds interesting. If you could provide the SS number I'll write to IWM to see if i can obtain a copy. I'm afraid I don't find the IWM website very user friendly; likewise when I phoned on Thursday the foreign gentleman who answered was no help whatsoever.

Brian

Sorry, I haven't found the SS number. I have only found it at the AWM.

AWM - F 358.120941 G427

• 3 weeks later...