Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ernest(or Earnest) Noble RAMC Info anyone please?

corkington

Hi,

I am trying to find info on my grandfathers brother Ernest (or maybe Earnest) Noble of Bridge St, Stairfoot Barnsley. I have one photo. The cap badge is RAMC. I think his records may have been lost in the blitz, but any info would be welcome.

Regards,

Greg.

Assuming you know your grandfather's full name and age, you should be able to get the family in censuses and hence your great uncles full name from BMD

Once yo have that there is a lot mor to work on.

Can you post those details here?

Hi

On Ancestry there is a MIC to an Ernest Noble - 95979 RAMC but I could not find a Service Record.

Also in the 1911 Census return there is an Ernest Noble living at 8 Bridge Street, Stairfoot. Age 21. His occupation is given as Glass works labourer.

The other members of the family are

Father - John Noble, Age 68

Mother - Ann Noble, Age 58

Brother - John William Noble, Age 17

There is also a Christening Record to an Ernest Noble for Ardsley nr Barnsley with the same father and mother's names which gives his date of birth as 26th June 1889 which ties in. As does the 1891 Census which gives his birthplace as Ardsley (Address 354 Bridge Street, Ardsley). His names in the various records are both Ernest and Earnest which is a bit confusing but Ernest is the name given in the Birth Index.

C

Thanks for the info chaps. Chris you have the correct Ernest Noble and thanks for that. John willam Noble(brother) was my Grandad and I have his service record. I didnt have a possible service number number so that helps too. I think his records may have been destroyed. Is there any other way of finding out in which theatre he served? Just for interest my mothers recollection is that he was injured and discharged unable to fight (We think shrapnel to the head) and unfortunately he spent his last days in a mental hospital in Huddersfield.

Regards,

Greg.