Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Meat & Vegetable ration - a couple of queries

John_Hartley

We all know about Maconochie rations. Or do we?

My ongoing Googling about food matters turns up a newspaper report saying that the tinned meat and vegetable rations were made by thirty different contractors, although I cannot seem to find any evidence to support that. It makes sense that the War Office would not put all its eggs in one basket, so to speak, so has anyone any ideas who else might have produced the rations.

I've also got a query about the Maconchie Brothers company. Google seems to refer to it being an Aberdeen Company but a bit more digging turns up the fact that the brothers were from Lowestoft; that the company's head office was at Maconochie Wharf, Millwall, London and that there were several manufacturing plants around the country, including London and Hull, but I cannot see a substantive reference to there being one in Aberdeen. So, how come Aberdeen gets mentioned?

And then there's "pork and beans" which the above newspaper report says was introduced from March 1916, having been obtained via the Canadian Pacific Railway Company. Any thoughts on that?

TIA

There's a thread on the forum somewhere that covers Maconochie,and where he haled from - he left a somewhat sectarianist will.

Unsubstantiated but I've always thought that the pork and bean foods to be a French cassoulet thyingy. Did the British Army eat it prior to France1914? Perhaps the French Canadian connection might explain the tinned cassoulet via the Canadian Pacific.

Maconochie was at one time Liberal Unionist MP for Aberdeen so there must have been a connection. I've seen a reference to him and his brother (who died pre WW1) supplying troops in the South African War from a factory in Aberdeen.

Pork and Beans was (is?) a traditional cow herder's meal from the days of Chisholm, Goodnight and Loving. Fills you up but increases the Hydrogen and Methane content of your environment.

Perhaps the French Canadian connection might explain the tinned cassoulet via the Canadian Pacific.

Honestly, the FC really had so little impact on the war that this would be a non-starter.