Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service / Pension Records

ss002d6252

I have details on 5 men who are recorded as being killed on 14 July 1915 when the Germans blew a counter mine and destroyed a tunnel being built by the 9th DLI.

I've looked but couldn't find a service or pension record for any of them, can anyone take a look and if they have any better luck than me ?. On the balance of probabilities there should be at least 1 of the records surviving.

post-51028-0-67831100-1356888902_thumb.j

Can't see any after a very quick look. Might be worth checking the MIC's first. Christopher is down as Charles on the MIC. They may also have different numbers that might be worth searching?

Mike

Thanks Mike.

They shouldn't be under different numbers as they were original T.F men still with the battalion but I'll try the different names and see what happens.

Found 1682 Charles Harris (mis-transcribed as 1688). Not surprisingly he was a pre war miner. I was hoping there was an off chance that there may have been something in the records re the explosion but unfortunately not.

I wondered why he was listed on the CWGC as Christopher and the MIC as Charles but it appears Christopher is correct from his records although he used Charles when he enlisted.

Had a quick look on the British Newspaper Archive and found these clips. It might be worth searching local papers, and for service records of the wounded men.

2ppa8pk.jpg

fd5cvo.jpg

Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike.

Its a side piece of research that sounded interesting (it caused enough interest at the time to be listed in 6th DLI's diary)

I wonder if he was 7240 J Barker of the 1st DLI - 2nd DLI were in India but sent men to S/Africa who were attached to the 1st (as per the Boer War Medal Rolls) as he appears to have joined up about July 1900 from the SWB rolls/ Army Service numbers site.

He would have been time expired about July 1912 and would have re-enlisted in the T.F. in May 1914 (about the 5th or 6th).