Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Quinn's Post - Then and Now

tan

Took a while to find the exact spot but I hope you enjoy it. You can barely see the Turkish 57th Memorial on the upper right behind the parked bus. This image was published in the book promoting our film, The Last Post.

post-95563-0-39551700-1356863159_thumb.j

Nice image, did you go down to the terraces? I wussed out when I was in the area in June as left my proper footwear in Blighty

Hi Rob,

Yes I was fortunate enough to go all the way down to the gully and climb up again from Pope's Hill which is the only way up now. The area where the terraces were can't be noticed since all covered with scrub, you have to go all the way down and lay down under the scrub to see the flat surface what seems to be the base of Malone's terraces. Still, a dangerous endeavor!

tan, thanks for this and nice to see Quinn's post as it now looks. Hugh Quinn was a well known insurance broker in Townsville (North Queensland, Australia) pre-war. He joined up and left Australia within days of WW1 being declared, as part of the force intended to capture German New Guinea. A ship's mutiny saw his battalion return to Townsville. My grandfather was also in that battalion and both men were from Charters Towers. A contemporary report on Quinn's Post from 1915 appears below:

QUINN'S POST.

MAJOR HUGH QUINN.

A correspondent of the "Sydney Morning Herald" writes that, though a lot has been heard about Quinn's Post, Gallipoli, no mention has so far made of the late Major Quinn, after whom the hot centre of the fighting has been named. He adds :-" Major Hugh Quinn, who was only twenty-seven years old when killed in action, joined the Kennedy Infantry Regiment (Charters Towers), Queensland, as a private in 1907, then being nineteen years of age. He quickly won his way through the non-commissioned ranks to sergeant, receiving his commission as second-lieutenant when but twenty. Three years later he was appointed second in command of the regiment with the rank of captain. On the outbreak of war he first of all went to Thursday Island, subsequently joining the Queenslanders who left with the expeditionary force for Egypt. On arrival there he was gazetted major. He won the heavyweight amateur boxing championship in North Queensland two years running, and acted as manager of the team which visited Victoria and Tasmania in 1912, representing the heavyweight division. In the fighting around Quinn's Post the major was struck by shrapnel.''

Ironically the advertisement placed by Hugh in the Townsville Post in 1914 appears next to one for Turkish cigarettes. post-66620-0-77474300-1356942644_thumb.j

Thank you for the compliments and additional info on Hugh Quinn. Everything is important for us to know about him as he will be one of the side characters in our film.

Here is another page from our promotional book of The Last Post. A comparison between and period aerial photo and the famous map of Quinn's. The information below the photo ,n the book reads;

A map showing the elaborated trench and tunnel systems of Quinn's Post drawn by R. A. McInnis in 1915. The pale color stripes indicate the foremost trenches and connecting trenches of the post. The dark stripes on the far right of the diagram indicate the tunnels dug towards the Turkish side beneath the trenches, while the pale lines in the lower right indicate the Turkish trench line.

post-95563-0-11074900-1356949606_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Tan, thank you some nice work....anymore?

Andy

Hello Andy

I have done more Then and Now photos at Quinn's Post but havent finished them yet. This is a simple one in which I believe showing one of the truce locations.

Best regards.

Tan

Tan, thank you some nice work....anymore?

Andy

post-95563-0-23997500-1360253881_thumb.j

Tan,

These are absolutely great

Many thanks

Michael

Thank you for your kind words Michael, hope to share more of these soon.

Best regards,

Tan

• 6 years later...

Fantastic photos thanks.

My great uncle, Private Fred Patterson (2nd Company, Canterbury Battalion, New Zealand Infantry Brigade, Australia and New Zealand Division) was shot in the abdomen near Quinn's Post on 29 May 2015. He was taken to the 1st Australian Casualty clearing station, then to the beach, where he succumbed to his wounds on 13 June. He is buried at Beach Cemetery. 

This is a photo of his photo (excuse the reflection of the camera on the glass).

1372482261_ArchibaldFrederickPattersonKIA31May1915Gallipolicopy2.jpg.2412f6d50273273f446784f7c11c08e8.jpg

Edited by Guest