Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History of 27 squadron RAF 1915-1919

catbert

I am trying to find out more about what my grandfather did as wireless operator for 27 squadron, he was on the ground, but where? HQ? Batteries? I am taking advice to look at the document in Kew, history of 27 squadron raf 1915 - 1919 AIR1/173/15/161/1.

I am waiting for Kew to get back to me, but it would be good to hear from anyone who already has this document and might be able to help.

Many thanks

suzanne

Suzanne I have AIR1/690/21/20 27 Squadron History, if it is any use, you are welcome to a copy the total size is 116mb. Contact through web page.

Thank you John I will do that

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

I see that John G is going to supply you with much more info. on 27 Squadron than I could hope to provide (John is also an expert on all things relating to 66 Sqn RFC/RAF). :thumbsup:

I would like to find out if Maj Sidney Smith was actually noted as the C.O. of 27 Sqn in 1916 or whether he was just on the pilots roster and happened to be a Major at the same time. According to the book 'My Warrior Sons' Maj A.E. Borton left the command of the squadron on 30th July 1916, however Maj Smith is noted in the communiques as being with the unit by 06th July. Perhaps there was some overlapping in order to smooth over the transfer being these two commanding officers ?

Regards,

Matt.

Matt, yes I have contacted John for the info he has kindly offered. The book Flying Elephants makes several mentions of Sidney ' Crasher ' Smith so will see what I can find

Suzanne

Matt, re Sidney Smith

Nov 1915, 27 were joined by major smith, late royal artillery, who was nominally posted in as C.Flt. Commander but by virtue of his seniority he naturally assumed temporary command of the sqdn until arrival of 27s first appointed CO major Borton DSO who arrived in December 1915.

On July 29 1916, major Smith took over command of 27 from major Borton on the latters promotion to Lt Col in command of 21st army wing RFC.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.

Suzanne

Matt, do you happen to know where Sidney Smith went after leaving 27 squadron in September 1917. He was promoted..... apparently he finally made group captain.

Suzanne

• 7 years later...

Might be able to get as a free download from the NA, HH.

Yes - by Chaz Bowyer.

• 7 months later...

Hi

I would like a copy of 27 Squadron Records.

AIR1/690/21/20 27 Squadron History

AIR1/173/15/161/1.

My Grandfather was Captain Kenneth Noble Pearson MC. He became a flight commander of 27 Squadron.   There is a photo of him with 21 Squadron who I believe shared the Airfield with 27 Squadron https://www.apw.airwar1.org.uk/no27sqn3.htm 

He left the Squadron after the Battle of the Somme and returned Home to defend London from the Gotha Bombers and Zeppelin threat. He was in command of A Flight of 37 Squadron based at Rochford. 

I have recently found in an old trunk in my father's loft the Elephant Insignia that they painted on the side of their planes during the Battle of the Somme. From this the RAF Squadron emblem was born. However who ever designed the Insignia for the RAF got it wrong as the Elephant should point the other way. The grandson of Major Smith has just sent me his father's Emblem on his plane and a details of an Action that Pearson and Smith fought together on 6th July 1916. It was this action that got Pearson awarded the MC and promoted Captain. - His sitation read - Supplement to the London Gazette 20th October 1916 - Confirmed award of Military Cross for conspicuous Gallantry and Skill. With one other pilot he attacked ten hostile aeroplanes. The other pilot (Smith) had his Controls cut away and had to return.    

Regards

Ian C Pearson

pearsonica@btinternet.com

1956461513_MajorSmithRFCReport6-7-1916.jpg.5c14539049be4f1bb4f1700131df1f20.jpg

27 Squadron Emblem KNP Painted on his Martinsyde G102 in 1916.jpg

Edited by pearsonica

Is there some particular item of information you want looked up?  I appear to have both those items already booked out for a date in Christmas week to help with a local casualty at my end of Essex, also of 27 Squadron.

Also, is this item not of interest?

image.png.86b2a44cd6c83b0efbe1fd54d203ef06.png

Edited by Guest