Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Abbey, Alexander Walter DCM, MID, MC

ZackNZ

Hi all

I’m hoping someone can please point me in the right direction re some information about the above man who was a mining engineer.

He was born in Petersburg, Resident, Russia in 1892 and died in Spain aged 33. I have his New Zealand military file and I’ve details of his DCM but he was discharged from the NZEF in November 1916 and took a commission in the imperial forces.

I’ve a London Gazette reference (1 Jan 1919) that lists him as been awarded the Military Cross as “T/Lt Alexander Walter Abbey, DCM, 250th T Coy, RE.”

What was the 250th T Coy (Royal Engineers) and where can I find the details about the action leading to his MC?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Zack

Hi Zack,

From the LLT:- 250th Tunnelling Company

Formed in Rouen in October 1915, and relieved 177th Company. Dug the deep-level mines (Petit Bois, Peckham and Spanbroekmolen) under the

Messines ridge.

Regards

Cam

Interesting. I have seen reference to a number of such commissions before. There appear to have been a number of mining engineers commissioned into the RE from the AIF and NZEF in mid to late 1915. Rgds Tim D

• 4 months later...

Hi all

I am still researching Alexander Walter Abbey and I've established details for his WW1 war decorations except I have not further detail for the award of his MC. He was married and had two children. He was murdered in Spain (Dec 31 1924) and that the murderer, when pursued by the Police, committed suicide. Abbey was working for Rio Tinto at the time. I have a photo of his grave. I have even been trying to find a photo of him given his military honours but it's all too hard from down under.

If anyone has any suggestions as to where to go next I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Zack