Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with photo!

Bryanhaylett

I would like to identify as much info regarding this photo as possible.

All I know is that the British Officer on parade was my Grand Father, A/Capt. Robert Haylett. 2nd Bn. DLI.

Thank you

Bryan

post-95390-0-28500100-1356462299_thumb.j

Obviously taken in the antipodes :w00t:

Sorry - couldn't resist :blush:

Mark

Looks post war, I wonder if it's the award of his MC (Gazetted 14 Feb 1919 but full citation http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31480/supplements/9739 July). He was promoted from the ranks in 1915 and retired with the rank of Captain in 1921.

The French officer on the right looks like Foch. I would guess that the bridge in the vackground is one across the Rhine, possibly at Cologne whuch was the centre of one of the three Aliied bridgeheads stipulated in the Versailles Treaty, although I think there is a similar bridge at Koblenz, which was another of the three.

Ron

Further to Ron's suggestion, I googled Rhine Bridge Cologne and got this old postcard pic of the Hohenzollern bridge:

6120097644_0acc28b7f2_z.jpg

From the turrets, it looks a strong contender.

The wiki tells me this bridge was blown up in 1945 by German military engineers.

The French officer on the right looks like Foch.

Ron

I agree, I believe that its Foch, it looks as though Foch is taking an active role in something, perhaps awarding a French decoration?

khaki

extract page 367 From Private to Field Marshal by F.M. Sir William Robertson:

Marshal Foch, with General Weygand and others of his staff, came on the 16th of May(1919) and left the following day...................and at Cologne he was greeted with rousing cheers from the troops assembled on the Hohenzollern bridge.

Yes the French Officer looks like Foch and the British Officer is likely to be Robertson who took over command of the British Army of the Rhine from Sir Herbert Plumer on 21 April, 1919.

The German Delegates from Berlin to Versailles passed through Cologne on the 27th June 1919 - the Peace Treaty was signed on the 28th June at Versailles.

As an aside Roberston was not invited to attend the Peace Celebrations held in London on the 19th July 1919 - Lloyd George was not a generous opponent.

Philip (OMRS 943)

Nice work all round! Fits in nicely with his MC gazettal date.

Excellent, thank you all.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.