Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

chris0707

I first posted in early 2011,but never picked up any replies.

I am investigating my Graet Grandfather: He was called Fredrick Henry Payne and was a gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery (service No 42929), and was serving with the Fifth Army French Mortar school when he was killed on the 12/10/1917.

He is buried in Beauval Communal Cemetry (G23). Unfortunately I have been unable to find any further information, and would welcome any advice help in where to go next

One reply came from member alanb, who wrote

A couple of years ago I completed a small book on the men of the village of Timsbury in Somerset who had been killed in the Great War. Your Great Grandfather is not commemorated on the village war memorials, but as I was researching I found his connection with the village and included what I could find of him in the book. I found a photo of him in the local paper of the time, and during a visit to France I visited his grave and photgraphed that. All this is included and I'll send you a pdf file of the information I found about him but the file is too large to attach to the message. Sorry for the dealy in writing to you, but I don't get much time nowadays to read the forum and had missed your Timsbury connection until tonight. Regards Alan

Does anyone have any further information?

FredrickHenry

FH

Wills Index on Ancestry shows that he lived at 7 Odd Down Cottages,Bath from where his widow was granted administration.A coal miner by trade. Maybe because of his residence he is shown on the Bath Memorial.

Soldiers Died show him as Died as opposed to Killed in Action,normally to a cause such as sickness.

Sotonmate

He is also listed in the Somerset County Memorial Book in Wells Cathedral as coming from Bath.

You may have the info here, but just in case you have not see:

http://www.warmemorial.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Bath_ww1.html#P

Dave

Thank you for the info.

I still am unable to find any info on his military carrer and where he was stationed.

I believe he was serving with the French Fifth Army when he was killed.

He was accidentally killed on 12 October 1917 at the French Fifth Army Mortar School when. a shell he was handling exploded

Dave