Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5 West Yorkshire Photo at Beechwood Hotel, Harrogate

siberry8

I have attached a photo which I think is of the 1/5th West Yorkshire maybe at a hotel in Harrogate taken soon after enlisting probably taken some time in 1914.

It is possible to see pencil crosses next to some men and I think these will include members of the Bishop family.

Can anyone identify the photo and provide more information.

Much appreciated.

Hi Siberry,

I doubt that this is a hotel unless it is round the back near the kitchens--see the towels? drying at the windows. Possibly a Drill Hall or part of a Barracks? Far too scruffy for a hotel in Harrogate, I would have thought!!

It could well be the 1/5th Bn, or at least one company of the battalion. Any chance of enlarging the three officers sat in the centre? just in case anyone recognises them.

Robert

Thomas A.Cornall, Station Studio, Harrogate, appears to be the photographer.

The officer in the centre appears to have the high collar, which may be expected around or just prior to WW1, whilst those either side of him have the open collar--not sure of the proper terminology for collars such as these!!

no help i know ! but another pic with a harrogate connection showing members of the harrogate defence league marching down commercial street towards the drill hall in august 1914.

post-27136-0-36585000-1356257912_thumb.j

The photo is taken outside the Beechwood Hotel (soldiers who stayed here would eventually become known as the Beechwood Boys - I think there may be a book written by a local on this subject, but can't recall the title to hand (probably The Beechwood Boys :rolleyes: or somesuch)) the photo is featured in the book Massacre on the Marne by Fraser Skirrow.

The photo is of Capt Platnauer's company, he is flanked by Lieut Heaton on the left and Lieut A W L Smith on the right. And yes, it is 1/5th West Yorkshires :D

PS: Thanks to my husband (James) who recognised the photo from the book, even though I've read it too and didn't know!

Thought someone on here might be able to help.

Thanks for that Kim, I have been thinking of getting Massacre on the Marne and now I will be.

We know Charles and his son Maurice are on the photo.

Rich

Thank you for the information Kim. You know what - I have Massacre on the Marne and I clearly didn't read it sufficiently closely so I am going back to it for a second read. I blame my incompetence on approaching old age but my wife says I have not changed since we married!

I have recently read Massacre on the Marne - a very good read.

I live in Knaresbotough - just next door to Harrogate so found the book interesting from a local historical perspective.

• spof changed the title to 1/5 West Yorkshire Photo at Beechwood Hotel, Harrogate