Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Nelson Winchcombe 11th Bn Middlesex Regiment

KarinB

Hi

Another of my great uncles who died in the Great War. John Nelson Winchcombe 1886 - 26 February 1917. I am not having as much success with this uncle as my other but I believe he was in the area of the Hohenzollern Redoubt when he was killed. He served with the 11th Battalion Middlesex Regiment. I know he is buried at Faubourg D'Amiens Cemetery, Arras. Does anyone have information about this regiment up to February 1917 please so that I can piece togethr information about Uncle John.

Regards

Karin

Hi

Yes thank you, I have them already from Ancestry.com. I am a genealogist so have access to all that sort of thing. It is the real military side I am floundering with. I am writing a family history for myself and my cousins so am trying to get all the information I can surrounding our Great Uncles and their war career.

Hi karin

post-10072-0-61332800-1356197772_thumb.j

I think you need a copy of

'The Diehards in the Great War'. Order it from the library or £38 from most book sellers (and on the web)

Regards,

Graeme

It seems the Battalion went to some lengths to recover the bodies of those killed...

COUGHTREY, GEORGE. Rank: Lance Corporal. Service No: G/50040. Date of Death: 26/02/1917

Regiment/Service: Middlesex Regiment. 11th Bn.

Panel Reference: Bay 7. Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

GILFILLAN, DONALD ROY. Rank: Second Lieutenant. Date of Death: 26/02/1917.

Grave Reference: II. D. 29. Cemetery: FAUBOURG D'AMIENS CEMETERY, ARRAS

VINCENT, A. Rank: Lance Corporal. Service No: 42371. Date of Death: 26/02/1917.

Grave Reference: III. D. 13. Cemetery: FAUBOURG D'AMIENS CEMETERY, ARRAS

WEST, ALBERT WILLIAM. Rank: Private. Service No: 8324. Date of Death: 26/02/1917. Age: 21

Grave Reference: III. D. 14. Cemetery: FAUBOURG D'AMIENS CEMETERY, ARRAS

Additional Information: Son of Mrs. A. F. West, of Walthamstow, Essex.

WINCHCOMBE, JOHN. Rank: Private. Service No: 13265. Date of Death: 26/02/1917. Age: 31

Grave Reference: III. D. 15. Cemetery: FAUBOURG D'AMIENS CEMETERY, ARRAS

Additional Information: Son of John and Jane Winchcombe, of 1, Alma Cottages, Oxford Rd., Windsor, Berks.

So three look to have been recovered at about the same time and remain together even now, and 2nd Lt Gilfillan a little later, if the burials have any chronological significance.

It would seem Coughtrey was killed within the German lines and not recovered (or more probably no identification carried, so buried as a "Known Unto God").