Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Sussex Honours & Awards

Paul Reed

I recently purchased Richard Buckman's The Royal Sussex Regiment - Military Honours & Awards 1864-1920 (J&KH Publishing 2001) which lists everything from VCs down to MIDs with a lot of supplementary information from local newspapers and others sources - plus a few photos.

Am happy to look up any details and also happy to proivide publishers details for anyone who would like to order a copy; it is privately published, so not widely available.

Paul,

Would appreciate a look-up for Lt L.D. Moore, 8th Bn, Sussex Regt, who was awarded the M.C. in the spring of 1918. I assume that it was as a result of his actions on 21st March, as he was wounded then. He's a local to a village just outside Leicester, and (maybe) unsurprisingly does not get any sort of mention in the Leicestershire press.

Thanks very much.

Dave

London Gazette 30th September 1918

T/Lieutenant Lawrence Daniel Moore, 8th Bn

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. This officer, detailed to garrison a post in a switch, organised his platoon with great skill, facing the situation confidently, sending in good reports, and, when the enemy attacked in force, inflicted heavy casualties before withdrawing to the main line. He was wounded on the following day.

Certainly sounds like the March offensive to me. Hope that helps.