Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals found in British Columbia

Waggoner

The RCMP in British Columbia have found a 1914/15 Star and Victory Medal that were issued to “2374 PTE. A. ALEXANDER R. HIGHRS.” He later served in the Northumberland Fusiliers as 206476

Private A. Alexander. As he doesn't appear on the CWGC site, he probably survivied the war.

I wonder what the chances are of finding his family? Here are the links to the articles:

http://www.globaltvbc.com/langley+rcmp+ ... story.html

Also:

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Langley ... z2ErgSIawb

All the best,

Gary

Hi

Been searching Ancestry, only additional info is from his MIC. Christian name is also Alexander. Still searching

Regards Barry

If he entered France on 2.5.15 (from the MIC) then could he have been with the 1/6th (Perthshire) Battalion. They landed at Boulogne on 2.5.15. Any experts who can throw any light on his number 2374 or the rolls ???

Edited by The Inspector

Well, I had a quick look at various things on Ancestry, not found anything conclusive.

I know we have his numbers but there are 32 other AAs with MICs so finding 19 immigration records of AAs into Canada 1865-1935 is not surprising. These 19 seem to thin down to about a dozen individuals. 4 are too young and 3 probably too old.

This leaves us with 5 AAs, one of which was born c1890 in Edinburgh and settled in Vancouver. Distance to where the medals were found in Langley is 26 miles from his home address of 3889 West 13th Vancouver. This AA worked as Steward/Chief Steward for Canadian National Railways, Canadian Pacific Railway and Canadian National Steamers.

His records 1930-33 give his sister’s details as Mary Hislop, 36 Cornley Bank Place, Edinburgh.

How to prove Mary Hislop was 2374 Alexander Alexander’s sister??

TEW

• 2 weeks later...

His records 1930-33 give his sister’s details as Mary Hislop, 36 Cornley Bank Place, Edinburgh.

How to prove Mary Hislop was 2374 Alexander Alexander’s sister??

TEW

If Scots civil marriage registrations are on line and search facility is similar to Engish/Welsh records (on findmy past) it may be possible to identify a marriage by a general search for a Mary Alexander marriage - spouse search field left blank

It may show a number of "hits" but if it shows the husbands surname is Hislop the connection to Alexander Alexander may be proved.

I did similar "one sided" research with some of my female relatives on fimndmypast several years ago and turned up several marriages I was unaware of.

Steve Y

Steve Y

A quick look at Scotlands People does not show a marriage between a Mary Alexander and a Hislop / Hyslop. She could, of course, have been widowed before marrying Mr. Hislop. There are 75 Alexander Alexander's on the 1911 Census between the ages of 14-40 so any additional information would be useful before plunging into Scotlands People and increasing their profits. I agree with Kevin re the address of Mary Hislop.

Douglas