Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Grenades both British and Enemy.

Lancashire Fusilier

As we speak of improvised trench knives here is a French Coultrot Nr 1.  These were the 1915 brainchild of Lt.Col Coutrot who utilised surplus M.1886 epee bayonets to produce three trench knives from each bayonet blade.  This was the most often found variation and the sturdiest; it used the section of blade nearest the hilt.  It kept the original tang which was fitted with a hardwood hilt and riveted over.  The blade was re-ground to give a diamond section point.  A simple leather sheath with a belt loop and handle retaining loop was issued but this one has unfortunately lost it.  The scabbard wasn't too practical as it tended to swivel on the standard waist belt.  The steel handguard is stamped with the maker's trade mark; 'G.B.' for Georges Page, Cutler of Domine, Vienne in South-East France.  The hilt has a pencilled inscription which appears to be a date but which I cannot read.  It was certainly rather more practical than the 'Clou Francais' previously shown.  SW

DSCN0832.JPG

I agree a tangent. New thread for bombers equipment perhaps?

TT

1 hour ago, calibre792x57.y said:

Bomber's Equipment! - SW

Stretching it rather! :huh:

Here's one even the experts may have trouble identifying.

John

DSCN4307.JPG

John

It is the remains of one of the Daniels & Gardiner experimental grenades. They designed several but none of them went into service. IWM munitions collection has several of their efforts.

Mike

Well done. This was their last effort, the Mk 8. Briefly referred to in Anthony Saunders 'Weapons of the the Trench War 1914-1918'.

Pioneers of the All-Ways fuze that didn't see real service until the No 69 grenade in WW2.

John

Edited by Gunner Bailey

14 hours ago, Gunner Bailey said:

Pioneers of the All-Ways fuze that didn't see real service until the No 69 grenade in WW2.

John

GB,

Don't forget the always fuze on the Lanze (Lance) 90mm Trench Mortar bought from Austria by Germany.  We found one in a 1916 context in Plug street and that fuze is less fun than even the No247 to deal with!

Rod

Hi Rod / Mick

I'm only talking grenades here. I think the Italians got there first with the PO Grenade. The No 30 was tested but not put into service and this was resurrected with the No 54 post WW1 but never used in anger, the No. 69 was the first operational all ways grenade for the UK.

John

Managed to source a release socket for my No 20 as it was missing this. Need a cap now for the top.

Anyone have advice where to get one. May have to buy a cheap relic one as a last resort?

TT

2 hours ago, trenchtrotter said:

Managed to source a release socket for my No 20 as it was missing this. Need a cap now for the top.

TT

Do you mean the transit plug cap?

John

1 hour ago, Gunner Bailey said:

Do you mean the transit plug cap?

John

John yes or the detonator tube and screw cap (inert of course) but equally transit would be good.

TT

As I read earlier in this tread a Bombing Squad had a primary thrower followed by a carrier with more Mills Bombs.  The carrier would have worn a grenade vest and probably a bucket with more Mills Bombs.  Would the primary thrower still have worn his P08 webbing gear since he wouldn't have carried a rifle?

16 hours ago, keith119 said:

As I read earlier in this tread a Bombing Squad had a primary thrower followed by a carrier with more Mills Bombs.  The carrier would have worn a grenade vest and probably a bucket with more Mills Bombs.  Would the primary thrower still have worn his P08 webbing gear since he wouldn't have carried a rifle?

Keith,

Here is a photograph of a Bombing Squad, which clearly shows them to be lightly armed, and using both grenade vests and canvas buckets to carry the grenades, we can also see the kit being worn by this particular squad.

Regards,

LF

bombers with buckets.jpg

LF,

Thank you!  A few years ago whilst digging at Thiepval I dealt with 96 No 5 Grenades (8 Boxes worth) that had been prep'ed and left as defence for the trench.  I believed that they were in sandbags but canvas buckets makes much more sense.  It takes a while but we get there in the end!

Rod

I have a medal pair to a man killed during a trench raid in June 1917, while researching him I came across a list of equipment to be carried in the war diary. No doubt the list of equipment varied depending on the size of the job but the bombers for this particular raid carried:

1 waist belt

1 water bottle

1 steel helmet

1 box respirator

10 Mills No. 5

1 club

Tony

Equipment carried.jpg

An account I translated some months ago of a German counter-attack in the Thiepval area on 1 July reported:

"... as there were no German grenades left, the men availed themselves of the generous quantities of British grenades in green sacks that were conveniently available."

18 minutes ago, SiegeGunner said:

An account I translated some months ago of a German counter-attack in the Thiepval area on 1 July reported:

"... as there were no German grenades left, the men availed themselves of the generous quantities of British grenades in green sacks that were conveniently available."

SG,

Here is a nice drawing of British Bombers using the canvas grenade buckets which held 24 Mills grenades.

Regards,

LF

Bomber using bucket drawing.jpg

Here's another image from a training manual.

John

mills bucket crop.jpg

15 hours ago, SiegeGunner said:

I know that the 'buckets' were actually collapsible round canvas bags with handles, LF, but were they green ..?

Good question.

When you consider that Mills crates in WW1 were mainly grey and pink you have to wonder....

John

Edited by Gunner Bailey
formatting

18 hours ago, Lancashire Fusilier said:

SG,

Here is a nice drawing of British Bombers using the canvas grenade buckets which held 24 Mills grenades.

Regards,

LF

LF

The bucket may have possibly have held 24 Mills Grenades but I question whether it was used with so many.

24 Mills grenades weigh 36 pounds.

1. That is a lot for a thin strap to hold

2. It's a hell of a weight to struggle across very uneven ground with (think suitcase at an airport)

3. Try jumping down a 7 foot drop into a German trench with a 36 pound bucket

4. As you have said before, Bombing teams were lightly equipped.

5. Looking at the size I'm not sure they could actually take 24 Mills Bombs under the tied level. The area to be filled it 10 inches high and 10 in diameter.

I would think these buckets probably were filled with 10-15 grenades and no more in reality.

John

39 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

LF

I would think these buckets probably were filled with 10-15 grenades and no more in reality.

John

John,

Your figure of 10-15 grenades carried in a grenade bucket is definitely a wrong figure, and way too low.

The Bomber's Training Manual quotes the Bomber's Bucket as holding 20 grenades ( see attached ), and I am sure the Bombers added 3 or 4 more for good measure, and that is why the figure of 24 grenades carried in a bucket is often quoted.

Regards,

LF

GWF bucket holds020.jpg