Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Grenades both British and Enemy.

Lancashire Fusilier

Auchonvillerssomme Number 2, 3, and 4 Hales grenades were supplied with these transit caps which were discarded when the detonator was installed immediately before use. If you look under 'some less common grenades' you will find a photo of a No.4 fitted with one of these caps. Post 18 refers. Cheers - SW

• 1 month later...

I guess perhaps I know the answer but here goes. With the various models and development of the German stick grenade was it common to have hybrids? I mean a 1915 head on a later pattern stick for example. Also did the 1917 pattern have a different collar at the top of the stick to a 1915 or 16 type. Again I refer to the collar on the exterior of the screw thread to which the canister attached. Would one expect model 16 /17 hybrids if this were the case. Finally I found a web site that stated production got up to 8 million a month????? Really?

TT

Good question. The problem for the average collector is to acquire enough stick bombs to support any definite answer. I have had a maximum of about seven or eight at any one time and most, but not all, handles seem to interchange - i.e. M.1915 with M.17 the screw threads being common. And there are different combinations of head and stick turned out in early production until the adoption of the standardised M.17, which are genuine. However it is usually found that the bomb head still has it's original stick unless the whole thing has been messed about (more common now with the rise in values). I would certainly be chary of paying a not inconsiderable sum of money for a 1915 head with a stick which has a 'star' fingergrip cap. As your figures suggest these were high production items so items which properly belong to different periods would not usually be found combined. In which case don't buy it. - SW

Hi All,

I have just found this really interesting thread and was wondering if I could ask a question without wanting to change the subject?

Could someone tell me what the law is in relation to owning the drill grenades? I'm assuming they are obviously completely legal to own but what are the rules? Do they have to be kept in a display case? Can they be taken out for "show and tell"?

Thank a lot,

Michael

Michael,

Drill grenades or any Drill item that was manufactured inert and never contained explosives are perfectly legal to own. Items that were live if found to contain even trace quantities of explosives can lead to prosecution. Likewise the 'Inerting' of any live ammunition is considered the illegal modification of ammunition and also prosecutable.

I use drill items for lectures and always explain that they are safe and why before using them. A good method I employ is one we use at work and that is a NO TOUCH policy on all ammunition. This gets the audiance into the mind set that it is not safe to touch ordnance and if introduced from the outset it is that much stronger a message. If lecturing to schools I always get permission first from the Head that what I am using is Ok. Complaints from parents and adverse publicity are never needed and easier to avoid than explain.

Always if in doubt ask the authorities.

Rod

Hello,

I found this one in what used to be a WWI battlefield but also a training ground during the British mandate and later by the IDF.

that's why can't really tell if the stone position it was in, was made by the ottomans or not.

i-CXCZh3R-M.jpg

i-zvsgVrD-M.jpg

regarding and earlier posts of mine (662, 668), any idea what kind of hand grenade is hand held (668) or in the bucket (662)?

Thank You

Assaf

Michael,

Drill grenades or any Drill item that was manufactured inert and never contained explosives are perfectly legal to own. Items that were live if found to contain even trace quantities of explosives can lead to prosecution. Likewise the 'Inerting' of any live ammunition is considered the illegal modification of ammunition and also prosecutable.

I use drill items for lectures and always explain that they are safe and why before using them. A good method I employ is one we use at work and that is a NO TOUCH policy on all ammunition. This gets the audiance into the mind set that it is not safe to touch ordnance and if introduced from the outset it is that much stronger a message. If lecturing to schools I always get permission first from the Head that what I am using is Ok. Complaints from parents and adverse publicity are never needed and easier to avoid than explain.

Always if in doubt ask the authorities.

Rod

Thanks a lot Rod,

I thought that was probably the case but I wasn't sure if you needed something like a "free from explosives" certificate to go with it.

Thanks again,

Michael

Hi All,

I'm looking for a bit of help again. I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me a bit about the grenade in the attached photos.

I'm presuming from the marking on the base it's a No 36 mk1, is that good? Does the 45 refer to the year or is it something else? I know it's an inert training one but that's about all I know.

Any information would be great.

Thanks a lot,

Michael

post-108251-0-50214100-1446485717_thumb.

post-108251-0-35333600-1446485736_thumb.

I'm presuming from the marking on the base it's a No 36 mk1, is that good? Does the 45 refer to the year or is it something else? I know it's an inert training one but that's about all I know.

Michael,

You have a WW2 era Mills No.36 M Mk 1 Grenade dated 1945, with the ' M ' designation denoting Mills Grenades having a special waterproof coating making those particular grenades more suitable for use in tropical and jungle climatic conditions.

The base plug has the maker's mark ' T. G. & C. ' for Thomas Glover & Co.

Regards,

LF

Michael,

The Grenade Hand and Rifle No 30m that you have as you probably know has been overpainted. The Original identification was that it had holes drilled in the body and was painted white. This allows rapid identification that it is an Inert item and also allows them to be found when conducting Throwing Practice.

As LF says the base plug is 1945 dated and the grenade model certainly was manufactured at that time, (although they were in short supply around 1939 to 1941). Is it a carcass or does it have a striker channel? If it is only a carcass then look out for a detonator holder and striker channel then try to get a striker to complete the item.

You should be able to obtain them reasonable easily, indeed if you are lucky I'm sure someone on this forum could probably help you out, I would help out myself, but all our ammunition examples belong to work and they're very possesive about their collection, (we have one of each Britsh grenade of each type pretty muchand at least a couple of thousand other ammunition items dating back to about 1780).

Rod

• 3 months later...

Hi.

Old thread I know, but I've read through looking for information regarding the manufacturers of these grenades. I found an example by the same maker as mine, marked GMB, in the collection of forum member Grabenhelm.

Has anyone any new light to shed on possible makers please.

Eierhandgranate Mle. 1917 NA (Var) with an earlier type Mle. 1915. 5 or 8 sec. "offensive" fuse.

Inert-ord.net. say there is no official designation for the variant model with pronounced segmented ring " but it appears to be more than just a manufacturing variation" Does anyone know how many manufacturers were engaged in production and in what sort of numbers the different variants were made.

post-119457-0-27380500-1454881557_thumb.

post-119457-0-79514300-1454881652_thumb.

Egg.

I was interested to see the pull hook for Mills bombs early in this thread. The Germans had a flat metal foot plate with a raised hook to pull the wire loops, an example is shown on inert-ord.net.

post-119457-0-44132200-1454882931_thumb.

post-119457-0-28441900-1454882958_thumb.

Eierhandgranate Mle. 1917 NA (Var) with an earlier type Mle. 1915. 5 or 8 sec. "offensive" fuse.

GWF1967,

Excellent example.

Regards,

LF

• 2 weeks later...

As it was Valentine's Day I went to Brecon and bought a new toy or two.

A Mills No. 23 Mk 1 rifle grenade.

post-119457-0-89635500-1455711431_thumb.

French 1915 F1 defensive Pineapple grenade with Top Hat percussion fuse and Brass transit cap.

post-119457-0-68871900-1455711750_thumb.

As it was Valentine's Day I went to Brecon and bought a new toy or two.

A Mills No. 23 Mk 1 rifle grenade.

GWF1967,

Your No.23's base plug maker's mark ( K with stars ) is for A. Kenrick & Sons of West Bromwich.

Regards,

LF

GWF1967,

Your No.23's base plug maker's mark ( K with stars ) is for A. Kenrick & Sons of West Bromwich.

Regards,

LF

Many thanks for that information LF.

Was there a fair at Brecon or a military / antique shop. I particularly like the french F1

TT

French 1915 F1 defensive Pineapple grenade with Top Hat percussion fuse and Brass transit cap.

Another view of the French F1.

GWF1967,

Looks to be in excellent condition, nice find.

Regards,

LF

Was there a fair at Brecon or a military / antique shop. I particularly like the french F1

TT

Both. I looked round the fair that's held in the indoor market, then there's a (Very) small Militaria shop I like, just on the corner of the same block. The chaps name escapes me for the minute.

The French F1 was cheap, so I couldn't say no. The bloke selling had two, one in excellent condition and the one I went for which he had wrung the neck of trying to undo the fuse, the body is in great nick.

He also had a couple of German Turtles and a whole box of Eggs!

Do you know his details as I would be interested in an F1?

TT

Do you know his details as I would be interested in an F1?

TT

Foolishly I didn't get a card from him, I'll have a dig and see if I can track him down.

Hi Guys, Im making a Mills bomb box which I painted mid grey colour and stencilled in black letters. I posted a photo to my FB page and was howled down that it was completely wrong, I was told that they were never grey unless re-issued and that they were a washed out walnut colour or unpainted except for the stencils. I was told that what is reproduced today is complete fantasy. I got my plans from Tommy Packfillers, any ideas for a confused Aussie.

I would post photos but I cant see how to do it.

Cheers