Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Grenades both British and Enemy.

Lancashire Fusilier

I was offered this Ottoman one recently and was sorely tempted, but the price apart, I don't want to get into a new collecting area! But I thought others might like it...

Julian

grenade 04.JPG

grenade 03.JPG

grenade 02.JPG

grenade 01.JPG

It's not a great example Julian but they are scarce items. A very good one with the screw in brass cap (normally missing)  can be £600 in the UK.

This one was for GBP 220 or so. I was very tempted, but I wanted to avoid another slippery slope to negotiate - bayonets take up far too much room (and money!) as it is!

Here's a novelty item with historic interest.

In the Steven Spielberg film 1917 the props team made a number of Mills grenades which were briefly shown in the film.

A little while ago I was able to obtain one of the resin props used in the film and today I was able to obtain the original grenade that the props department used to make the copies.

Here's a photo of one of the props and the original. The paint on the original is obviously modern, to guide the props department.

DSCN5494.jpg.4189960c612727179627e615c4318856.jpg

• 6 months later...

Good morning,

this is my collection of Mill's bomb cap.

1519336260_plateaubouchonsdemills.JPG.7e93f90cc1f34b377f0ebd326dba78d2.JPG

all come from the Loos area (Chalke Pit Wood - Hill 70).
there are copper, aluminum, iron and lead.

Kind regards

Michel

• 11 months later...

Just brought this one

i don t collect but i already have a forlorn M36

they will  look good together

Grenades are like chocolate everybody gets a bit.

9526a (1).jpg

31 minutes ago, Donbogen said:
32 minutes ago, Donbogen said:

i don t collect

9526a (1).jpg

You do now!

33 minutes ago, Donbogen said:

😂

40 minutes ago, Donbogen said:

Just brought this one

i don t collect but i already have a forlorn M36

they will  look good together

9526a (1).jpg

That's a very nice No. 5. Well done.

You won't stop at one. Mills can be a little addictive. I have about 50 but I know one collector who has nearly 500.

2 hours ago, Donbogen said:

So true iv got the Bug

Perhaps you need my book? :whistle:

• 4 months later...

Bombing School of Instruction  - 31 July 1916 - Armentieres Sector

Cpl George McLaren 12/2419 NZEF 1st Auckland Infantry Battalion

Employment of Bombers in Attack

Bombers may be employed A. local raids to inflict loss on enemy but with no intention of advance or holding captured trench B. Local attacks by Bombers and supported by infantry with intention of capturing & holding length of trench or position. C. General attacks on large scale in which bombers are allotted special roles in conjunction with main infantry attack. The organisation of parties and arrangements may differ somewhat in above cases, but principals remain same and success depends on A. Careful preliminary reconnaissance & preparation B. Every XXXX given definite task, and planned accordingly, every man knowing his task and training for it, C. Accurate throwing D. Arrangements for significant grenade supply.

Organisation in Attack

When preparing grenade attacks a definite plan must be decided on in a photograph of position to be studied and best lines of attack decided on. All side trenches carefully counted and definite orders given whether they are to be A. Picketed by bombers & bayonet men as temporary measures B. Permanently blocked in which working party detailed before hand as well as bombers & bayonet men C. used for secondary attack in which case a proper organised column to be detailed. Grenade squads & parties should be detailed for following duties A. To clear trenched of which assaulting troops have passed. B. A party to deal with C.T. leading towards the enemy from the line which forms the general objective of attack. C. Parties on flanks of each body to block trenches on flanks or extra ground won laterally. 

Notes on Grenades & Fuses & Lights

Safety fuse No10 & 11. No10 is slightly thicker than No11, both made up as follows. Slow burning powder covered with 2 layers flax, 1 layer gutta percsa & finally covered with black waterproof tape. Burns at a rate of 2 inches in 5 seconds or 2 feet per minute. 

Instantaneous fuse quick match covered by special cover. 2 layers flax 1 gutta percsa & finally covered with a rough salmon coloured waterproof tape. Burns at rate of 1 mile 1 minute. 

Nobel lighter. Consists of 2 cardboard cylinders, a large & a small one. At head of large one is a match composition. At head of small one is two prongs. The small one fits into large one & held by safety pin.

Brock lighter. Is a fuse & fusehead combined. The head is a cardboard cylinder filled with match composition & covered with waterproof tape. 

Detonators. No6 is small commercial cap. Consists of small copper tube of fulminate of mercury - 26 grain. Striking power of 60lbs to sq inch. No8 = long commercial cap, copper tube of F or M. No8 mark 7 = copper tube, red, and No8 on 7 written on it = 32 grains, f of m, striking power 120lbs to sq inch. No 8m7 slightly stronger than No8.  

Commercial caps = small commercial cap No6. Long commercial cap No8 and Long commercial painted red is No8 mark 7 detonator. 

Grenades
No2 Hales stick grenade. Percussion, consists of a brass cylinder round which is a band of segmented iron to cause shrapnel. Screwed into bottom is cane handle with 4 strings attached. Running down centre is detonator well at bottom of which is striker & creep spring, held into position by safety pin. Screwed into top is brass screw nut. Main charge ammonal. Detonated by special detonator, a copper tube of F&M and a cap of nitro-glicerine, 6.5grains of F&M. Weight 1lb. 

No19 Stick grenade percussion. Cone shaped body of segmented iron. Screwed into bottom is cane handle with 3 streamers attached. Running down centre is detonator  well. Screwed into top is a brass neck at bottom, of which is a 380 Eley cartridge. At top is buffer-headed striker held in position by safety pin & then copper wire. Main charge is ammonal. Detonated by commercial cap which must fit flush with top of detonator well. Weight 1lb 5oz. 

Rifle Grenades. No 3 Hales rifle grenade. Cylindrical body of segmented steel. At bottom are two studs which hold striker & spring. A wind vane which holds two studs, a collar which hold wind vane & a safety pin which holds the collar. Screwed into bottom is 10in steel rod with two clips attached. Running down centre is detonator well at bottom is striker & spring. At the top is a brass screw nut. Main charge is tonite, generated by special detonator, tube of F&M and a cap of nitro glycerine. It is fired by special cartridge  of cordite & gun cotton. Range 220 - 70 grains of fulminate of mercury in detonator. 

No 20 Rifle Grenade, improvement on Hales No3, same body as No3 without wind vane and has longer collar. 

Newton Rifle Grenade, cone shaped body of segmented iron. On the side on from xxx. Welded into bottom is a an 18 inch steel rod at bottom of which is copper gas check. At the top is a greased paper detonator well, fitted over the top is a sheet iron cap controlled pierced to hold the striker, it also has 4 windows. The main charge is Ammonal, detonated by a No 8 mark 7 detonator waxed into 303 cartridge with a tin cap to act as a safety device. This grenade is fired by an ordinary blank cartridge. Range 420.

No 23 Mills Rifle Grenade An ordinary No 5 mills grenade only with brass plug & steel rod 7 inches long screwed into base of grenade. Fired with an ordinary bank cartridge. Range of about 80 to 90 yds.

Ammonal consists of 5 parts carbon 25 parts nitrate of ammonia and 70 parts fine aluminium. 

nlnzimage (106) Notes on Grenade Fuses.jpg

nlnzimage (107) Notes on Grenade Fuses..jpg

nlnzimage (108) Notes on Grenade Fuses..jpg

Thanks very much for sharing these notes. Always great to see contemporary documents. 

Glad you liked them .... have a few more notes from my Grandfathers diary on Bombing strategy & organisation on the way.

Excellent. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

This might be of interest to some people. A blog post I wrote a few years back about a WW1 bombing school in the UK

https://www.thetimechamber.co.uk/beta/blog/it-isnt-all-about-cold-war-bunkers-and-broken-concrete-you-know

this place set me off on my mills bomb and rifle grenade collection (small) - I currently have a no5, no23, no35, and a cutaway no36 (all ww1 dated). I also have relic field walk pickups of all the above plus a no24 and a battle. I also have a VB grenade i got for cheap in France years ago. 

Not looking to collect more unless I find bits of other types! 

The France school fascinated me, completely hidden in the landscape!

ed

And here are my no35’s - strippable and relic condition.

05711F8A-14D1-4B00-B95F-BC2406D7E37E.jpeg.610cf78ad2dedbf6e291c080f2e547ac.jpeg

5697C289-BDD0-4DCE-B3DF-4EFF72FEBE89.jpeg.95c54c593cc1668456310136394b4d87.jpeg

0A2765F9-F775-4658-B7A9-0488FB61FD16.jpeg.51c106564d176bf7c0a9d55384fc40ab.jpeg

On 29/06/2022 at 20:40, MrEd said:

This might be of interest to some people. A blog post I wrote a few years back about a WW1 bombing school in the UK

https://www.thetimechamber.co.uk/beta/blog/it-isnt-all-about-cold-war-bunkers-and-broken-concrete-you-know

Thanks for posting the link. Very interesting work. I've got some documents from a 1918 course at the Godstone Bombing School and it also includes a map. However it shows the site was extended to the south but with very little more trench and range details than in 1917.

18 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

Thanks for posting the link. Very interesting work. I've got some documents from a 1918 course at the Godstone Bombing School and it also includes a map. However it shows the site was extended to the south but with very little more trench and range details than in 1917.

Is it a diary by a chap called trotter? 

15 hours ago, MrEd said:

Is it a diary by a chap called trotter? 

Sadly un-named technical documents plus the map.

3 hours ago, Gunner Bailey said:

Sadly un-named technical documents plus the map.

I think i have a copy of his diary, will look and get back to you